Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Can you recommend any reputable companies that appraise antiques in NEPA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Might be a little far from you, but we've dealt with them before with good experiences (buying, though, I didn't have anything appraised)..

Savo Auctioneers, LLC

Old 08-11-2012, 09:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Thanks Mr. Yuk.

Any other suggestions NEPA?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 PM

207 posts, read 284,735 times
There is a place in Scranton called, Olde Good Things. Unfortunately, I am unaware if they do appraisals. They're located near the Glider Diner. I'd give them a call. A lot of the things in their online catalog is super pricey though.
Architectural Salvage Online Store, Buy Altered Antiques | OGTstore.com

Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Try Dr. Lori: Art historian, museum curator, and certified art and antiques appraiser Dr. Lori

Most of the appraisers locally are actually dealers so if they are interested in buying an item they are more likely to undercut the real value. Dr. Lori doesn't buy antiques and has an impressive background.

Mike_by_Cedar- are you aware that Olde Good Things is a business operated by a cult?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Try Dr. Lori: Art historian, museum curator, and certified art and antiques appraiser Dr. Lori

Most of the appraisers locally are actually dealers so if they are interested in buying an item they are more likely to undercut the real value. Dr. Lori doesn't buy antiques and has an impressive background.

Mike_by_Cedar- are you aware that Olde Good Things is a business operated by a cult?
Nah, had no idea. Just did a quick search around and that place came up. I had never heard of it before.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Might be a little far from you, but we've dealt with them before with good experiences (buying, though, I didn't have anything appraised)..

Savo Auctioneers, LLC
These guys are a pretty big business now. They have a radio show and welcome callers to the store and the show. As you may have seen, their web site is extensive. They also take email pictures and give some feedback etc. They travel a lot to check out homes and estates etc. Many items will require a personal examination to really assess quality/condition, but a lot can be done over the phone or Internet to get an idea of an items potential value.

Even if not very convenient to your home location, they are worth a call for general input.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
Nah, had no idea. Just did a quick search around and that place came up. I had never heard of it before.
Yep, you would have been to young at the time but Seinfeld even did an episode about them. Back then they had a carpet cleaning business, now it's architectural salvage. If you google them and add cult you'll get a lot of hits.

CrazyReligiousCult - CarpetCleaningCabal - YouTube

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM

I was old enough when Seinfeld was on, just never was a fan of it (the few the proud, I guess).

I also back everyone that said Savo. I'll be checking them out soon myself just to see what kind of stuff they come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania