Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM

31 posts, read 52,222 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am seriously debating a relocation back to my home state, (PA) from Dallas, TX. The main drivers of this are family and not really wanting to grow old in TX! I have been in TX for 25 years, (flying for airline). TX is about to drive me crazy!! Married. We are alone here and have no children. We are in our late 40s.

Our family is in the Williamsport, PA area and also in central NJ, so East Stroudsburg seems like a good central point. I need to be able to get to EWR airport 1-2 times weekly. Thats the only commute. My wife and I are also long-time RNs, so we have that career also available to us.

I do not want to be in any "community" and have found some nice older properties in the Marshall Creek area that fit my needs. The property taxes are crazy high, but the home prices compensate for that a bit.

**Why are the school taxes so high? Are they just going to continue to climb? What are the voters doing about that?

**Is the commute in to EWR airport pretty bad? I will be traveling afternoons mostly going over and night time coming back. (after 7p)

**Does Marshall Creek area flood in the route 209/Gap View Drive area?

**What is the area like in the Marshall Creek Area? Is crime bad there? It seems kinda rural.

**Have the property values stabilized in Monroe county?

**We also have been looking in the Allentown/Easton area. Not sure if it's a better choice there or not.

Texas has a great economy and reasonable cost of living, but there is more to look at, as one ages. I know there will be lots of change, but "change is good " right? Or am I a complete idiot for wanting to relocate there?!

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Having lived in both areas, I would definately recommend the Lehigh Valley over anywhere in Monroe County. Just avoid the actual cities (Allentown Bethlehem Easton). For one, your commute to EWR should be easier, especially if its during normal morning commute times (not good, mind you, but better). I worked at EWR while I lived in the Poconos. The drive was a nightmare. In fact, to avoid 80 I would often go through the Lehigh Valley (via 611) and take 78. 80 and 280 are that bad.

The Lehigh Valley has better infrastructure, better government, better shopping, better healthcare, less urban influences outside the cities, just overall better everything. Prices may be higher, but you get what you pay for. Also, if you are seeking RN employment there are a lot more of those opportunities in the Lehigh Valley than in the Poconos.

I'd especially stay away from Marshall's Creek. That's very close to where I used to live (Saw Creek) and the traffic can be awful, especially on weekends during the summer. It won't just impact you getting to work, but it will affect everywhere you go. 209 fills up with weekenders from NY and NJ and you can't get anywhere. The flea market creates gridlock. You have to go all the way to Stroudsburg for a halfway (and I do mean halfway) decent supermarket (Shop Rite). The only other grocery store in the area (Mr. Z's if its still called that) is an overpriced tourist trap. For any other shopping your closest bet is the Stroud Mall and the surrounding stores like Home Depot and BJs. That's not a short trip and Stroud Mall is nothing to write home about either. It's a beautiful area, I grant you that, but between the infrastucture issues, the gang problems, the traffic and so much else its not a great place to live.

Last edited by johnp292; 01-28-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Any particular reason you would like Stroudsburg? It has gotten quite built up in the last several years with urban spillover from New York and New Jersey. The one knock I might give Marshall's Creek is that you will have to go through Stroudsburg to get out of PA and on route 80 to go east to Newark. This section of Route 80 gets very congested and sometimes stops all together if there is a problem. Maybe you could try just over the river in New Jersey? There are some very rural towns near the river on the Jersey side such as Blairstown and then you won't have to cross the river every day and will avoid the bottleneck around what I call "the Stroudsburg curve"

For shopping around there you would have no choice but to go into Stroudsburg. I can't tell you more about the city then the fact that I wouldn't want to live there based on what I have seen and heard.

Allentown is also very built up and congested but if I had to choose which town to live near I would choose Allentown or nearby Bethlehem.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Well, I found what I think is the perfect property, but then again, the location near 209/Gap View Drive and rt 80 might be bad. I'm certainly not opposed to the Lehigh Valley at all. I have looked at property there too. I found a nice home in Easton, only to find out it was too close to a landfill! It seems as you go north, property is less , but the taxes are more and the inverse going south.

I think the thing about Stroudsburg for me is being close to 80 and the bee-line west to Williamsport and also the family in NJ.

Last edited by Pafrmboy; 01-28-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Marshall's Creek is a nice area right near the Water Gap and I bet you'll like the nature there. Just keep in mind the traffic we told you about and plan on it before you experience it. There is no easy way around it in that area so you'll just have to grit it out on bad days.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Regarding crime, you shouldn't have a problem up in Marshall's creek but keep in mind that Stroudsburg itself has had it's share as of late.

Here is a link to another thread about Stroudsburg with some more information

East Stroudsburg... Yay or Nay?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM

452 posts, read 682,100 times
In the long run, your time and money might well be better spent looking in the areas of northwest New Jersey. Start around Rt. 15 in the Sussex/Lafayette area. These towns may provide a more stable environment and property value.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 AM

I think NJ, (overall) is a much higher cost of living. (Even in the more rural areas). But I guess it's worth looking at again. I'm exploring!

One other question I can't seem to figure out is what are the road tolls to drive from PA to EWR on rt 80 and rt 78?

I appreciate all the feedback from you all. It's so helpful!

Todd

Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrmboy View Post
Well, I found what I think is the perfect property, but then again, the location near 209/Gap View Drive and rt 80 might be bad.
At 209/Gap View you're east of the traffic tie-up spot in Marshalls Creek and if everything you want is east of that spot, then the traffic shouldn't effect you much. And they've opened the famous Marshalls Creek Bypass which may help alleviate traffic up in Marshalls Creek. I say "may" because the bypass has only fully opened recently.

The flea market is out of business due to the bypass and they are now building a Price Chopper on that spot. Stay away from the Mr Z's (now rebranded as Weis which had been their corporate owner for years) in Marshalls Creek because it's tiny and therefore minimal selection of products. We live in Shawnee, not far from where you're looking, and we typically shop at the Weis in Eagle Valley (another former Mr. Z's). There is also a Super Wal-Mart in East Stroudsburg if you feel like walking on the wild side.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrmboy View Post
I think NJ, (overall) is a much higher cost of living. (Even in the more rural areas). But I guess it's worth looking at again. I'm exploring!

One other question I can't seem to figure out is what are the road tolls to drive from PA to EWR on rt 80 and rt 78?

I appreciate all the feedback from you all. It's so helpful!

Todd
The only toll is at the Delaware River crossings. You pay only as you go from NJ to PA. I think its $1 or $1.25 but its been a bit since I had to pay it so it may have gone up again. They used to give you a small discount if you use EZ-PASS. To get the latest info you can check out the Delaware River Toll Bridge Commission website. There is a free bridge between Easton and Phillipsburg if you end up in that area but its a bit of a hassle to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania