Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM

232 posts, read 347,593 times

Advertisements

All:

What are your ideas for re-inventing the space that the Steamtown Mall occupys? This is not a thread to weigh in on why the mall is failing, but for ideas on what we could do with that space to re energize the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times
One, tear down the retail space that crosses over Lackawanna Avenue.
Two, separate Boscov's from the rest of the mall since it is the only viable department store there.
Three, modify the remaining facade to resemble separate store fronts and create street access to each
Four, professional and government offices on the second floor and rear of the 1st floor
Five, apartments or educational space in the former bon-ton area

Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 AM

I like that idea, to somewhat build on the 500 block of lackawanna. I think some drastic changes have to be made to save the mall...

Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

I've had a few days to mull it over.

Boscov is in an odd position as he owns the successful department store but he is also a co-owner/investor in the mall as a whole, which is languishing. He should "buy" the space that Boscov's occupies and sell off the rest. The "meat" of the mall between Boscovs and the Bon-ton should be sold off and redeveloped as mixed retail/professional. While they would lose retail space I would even suggest demolishing a section of street frontage in the 300 block to create a more open environment. It would be similar to closing off a block of Lackawanna Ave without impeding traffic.

It has been suggested that the county should lease more space in the mall but I would actually recommend purchasing the Bon-ton as it will cost less in the long run than a revolving lease. There are enough offices currently under lease agreements to fill the space - district atty, probation, voter registration, clerk of courts, domestic relations, etc. Allowing county employees to park under the mall will also ease congestion on the downtown parking garages which, despite the claims of the doomers, are usually 80% filled during weekdays.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Interesting thoughts Luna. The only other thing I can think of is if they can lure a Dave and Busters as another anchor.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 PM

I think a D&B would probably do fine around here, but it will not save the mall from going under.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,041 times
Default great rework of the mall...

Check out the August newsletter of a local architectural firm, DxDempsey, for a great proposal for the mall...here's the link:

DxDempsey Architecture August 2013 Newsletter

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Since this is your only post I am going to guess that you are affiliated with Dx Dempsey. So why not just tell us about it?

And as for the proposal, I am not going to support anything that bisects the Steamtown site. Your "road to nowhere" is just that - where does this new road go? Is it supposed to intersect at S Wyoming and River? There is a big drop off on the other side of the SNHS so you are talking a big expense there; the huge concrete wall below the old Chamberlin plant illustrates this. I don't even know if the average vehicle could make that steep of an incline during a Northeast winter. If it is meant to extend Cliff St, what's the point of that? Create a big loop to the end of Lackawanna Ave and turn the park site into a super highway? It doesn't make sense and the feds won't allow it. And the proposed earthern pier to support this new road is placed directly in the right-of-way of both the D-L and the Electric City Trolley Museum.

I like that you have removed the retail bridge over Lackawanna Ave. It appears as though you are looking to open the promenade to create open air shopping. I am mixed on this. I think it's a good use but what businesses will come in to support this? It reminds me of the 500 Project, which was well done but has been a nearly 100% failure. The "cart before the horse" mentality hasn't gotten us anywhere. That is why I was suggesting a plan that supports what currently works - medical offices, limited retail, and government.

You are only going to have X amount of retail in the downtown based on population and buying power/preference. If you limit retail at the mall space it will push these businesses back into the greater downtown area and fill up all those empty storefronts. Expanding a shopper's scope will help EVERY business in the downtown. The mall design was a selfish one from the start that crippled many outskirt businesses immediately. If you don't respect the downtown as a community you will never have any growth.

I am happy to see that someone is at least trying. Maybe take another look and find a solution that considers a few more realities of the downtown. Boscov's already draws the daytime crowd, which consists of stay at home moms and the elderly (and the occasional downtown worker on a lunch break). There is no traffic flow after 5pm of any real financial value. So you have one group to cater to and one that has not been captured yet.

Last edited by scrantonluna; 11-03-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Just a footnote, anyone who has been to a First Friday event in good weather knows just how busy the downtown can actually be.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 PM

I can't access the link, can anyone send it to me? Has there been any progress in the 500 block???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania