Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,866 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to view some of the more inexpensive (under 40 K) homes for sale in Tobyhanna but have not succeeded in locating a responsive realtor. I understand that their commission will be limited on such a small sale but I only require them to arrange for someone to let me in and view ten to 20 homes and go through the inspection bit. This will be a cash purchase so mortgage approval is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
you might try limiting the search a bit. 10-20 homes for that small a commission is probably not encouraging to a realtor. get on the internet, look at ads, etc. Do a drive-by if possible to check out the neighborhood. Then narrow your actual walk-ins to maybe 3 or 4.

Do some of the work yourself.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
it's true that some of the agents can be picky and some, from what I've heard, downright arrogant and self-serving when it comes to showing properties....you would think that since they aren't selling big $$$$ real estate out here they'd be more willing to show property just to make a commission somehow...even in hicktown PA they think they deserve more...

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,866 times
PAhippo and DavidWebb thanks so much for your advice. I will try to slim down my property search to make the commission a little more inviting.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:51 PM

217 posts, read 334,163 times
We just went through purchasing a home under 40g. The first Realtor gave us his most Jr associate, this kid was so green, he didn't know what kind of heat source was needed in these homes and I even had to help him go through the keys to open doors.
Then I found one Realtor that was more than accommodating...a real nice guy that even pointed out the flaws instead of diverting our attention from them. This great guy probably paid more for his gas to show us these homes than he made from the commission. Keep looking and don't give up hope...good luck to you.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 AM

30 posts, read 69,269 times
David Webb, Hicktown, PA? Really? By the time a realtor pays their office and association dues, electronic key fees and splits the commission with the listing agent, there is hardly anything left. So by the time they hike thru and shovel snow to get into these properties at this time of year, use up gas in their vehicle and then most often never hear from the "buyers" that you just spent an entire 8 hour day with (or dayS sometimes), they DO deserve more!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTheLake View Post
David Webb, Hicktown, PA? Really? By the time a realtor pays their office and association dues, electronic key fees and splits the commission with the listing agent, there is hardly anything left. So by the time they hike thru and shovel snow to get into these properties at this time of year, use up gas in their vehicle and then most often never hear from the "buyers" that you just spent an entire 8 hour day with (or dayS sometimes), they DO deserve more!
If that doesn't appeal to you (most likely you are a real estate agent) then find another field of employment...no one is forcing you to make these *HIKES* as you call it...you chose the profession so suck it up and do your job!! Want to make a ton of money?? Want to sell million dollar homes?? Then go to work in the big cities where real estate is in that price range!! Like I said no is forcing you against your will to work in real estate in an area where there aren't high ticket homes!!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 69,269 times
Sorry, I am NOT a Realtor. I just know how it works.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTheLake View Post
Sorry, I am NOT a Realtor. I just know how it works.
Well so do I...but unfortunately $$$$ shouldn't be the ONLY factor in helping someone find a home!! If the agent is not interested in going around showing properties to POTENTIAL customers then, like I said, find another field of employment!!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Well so do I...but unfortunately $$$$ shouldn't be the ONLY factor in helping someone find a home!! If the agent is not interested in going around showing properties to POTENTIAL customers then, like I said, find another field of employment!!
It's a job so money is a major factor. However, you have to pragmatic about it. Yes, there are plenty of buyers who are flaky and never end up buying, but one decent sale makes up for that. Also, you should be in the business because you enjoy it too.

Also, even a small sale is usually based on a minimum commission which is a flat dollar amount. So, even a very small deal pays the bills. There are even some agents that make a VERY good living focusing on selling low priced foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania