Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 21,155 times

Advertisements

@Fisheye - thanks for the link to the sticky, and also to Cobble Creek Estates! It's always a good idea to have a good exercise routine, especially if it pays well!!! Lord knows I need one...
@ jtab4994 - we're not of the Catholic or Christian faiths, so I don't know that I would be interested in sending my son there. I wish there were some non-religious private schools in the area. Out of curiosity, how is ES South? Thanks for the info on the potential school closings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuwe View Post
@ jtab4994 - we're not of the Catholic or Christian faiths, so I don't know that I would be interested in sending my son there. I wish there were some non-religious private schools in the area. Out of curiosity, how is ES South? Thanks for the info on the potential school closings...
My kids played rec sports and mingle in the community with kids from ES South and it seems to be OK. We survived a scare last year when our local elementary school was considered for closing (after a recent multi-million$ expansion!), but it was spared. Even though our kids never went there we didn't want to see it closed.

I understand your reluctance to consider Catholic school but I want to mention that 16-20% of our students are non-Catholic and come from many faiths. You may want to check into Evergreen Community School in Cresco which is for grades 6-12. It's the only private non-sectarian school I can think of in the Poconos. Your child is only 5 now, but because Evergreen is very tiny you might want to get on the waiting list now!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM

Thanks a lot for the info on the schools! Really interesting to note that almost a fifth of the students are non Catholic. I will definitely check it out when I move up there. I am really glad that there are options wherever we move in that area.

I was telling my wife about Evergreen, and noted that the graduating class is only ~ 10ppl. Not sure if that is good or bad. I guess it depends on our perspective...
Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
The Growing Concern is a private Montessori school in Tannersville - goes up to sixth grade. My kids went there in preK-4th and I can wholeheartedly recommend it for the very early grades. It's also very small -- after the preK-kindergarten class, there is one class for all the other grades. The kids loved it.

After that age, though, things get harder. Evergreen is recommended by my friends whose kids go there, but it has a hard cap on enrollment and a lottery for admission (though as a state charter school, there is no tuition).

I'm sending my kids to private school (one is in jtab's Catholic school, though we're not Catholic; the other goes to Moravian Academy, a lonnnng bus ride down to the Lehigh Valley). Others will say some of the public school districts here are fine and dandy, and still others will not. I didn't want to experiment, really. I am in East Stroudsburg North.

Greatschools, BTW, is not something to hang your hat on. It's state test scores and a bunch of hardly scientific ratings from parents, naturally biased one way or the other. I would pick your school district first, then worry about the house.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:15 PM

What's your feeling about sending your non-Catholic child to Catholic school? We are not Judeo-Christian, so it would be very different. One of the requirements is to go to Mass every Sunday, and to confess sins at least once a year. I don't mind his experiencing different viewpoints on religion, but not sure about those requirements...

Need to think about the Growing Concern - all the kids in one class is definitely an interesting concept, and one I need to explore!

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Today would be an excellent time to check out houses in and around our area - even though it is impossible to walk around the house. We have snow on the ground that, in most cases, is over our knees - in some cases; it is up to our hips. It is also on the roofs.

If you see a house that has ice sickles formed under the eves or down the siding; they have problems with ice dams. Possibly the ceilings are leaking and they require extensive repairs?

You can also scope out how they cope with all of the snow. See if they have a place for the snow plow to push this mess? See if the driveway is open or buried - many are buried today and we are supposed to get 2 to 4 inches more.

I would also recommend looking at houses after a hard rain. Some houses have land that floods, roofs that leak, or roads that become inaccessible.

Adversity shows all of the faults.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
There is no requirement that the kids be catholic, nor is there any requirement for outside religious activity at all (no mass or anything else). You do pay a few hundred dollars more for tuition if you aren't a member of a local parish (they require a signed form from your priest). My kid is learning about the catholic religion, and there is some kind of religious service at the school, once a week I think? If I were a fervent member of a different religion, or adamantly atheist or something, maybe I'd be unsettled by this -- but since I'm neither of those things, I'm not particularly bothered.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM

191 posts, read 394,129 times
Moved to stroudsburg last summer from North Jersey.Its very nice, convienient to everything and has a new high school built.Very little crime volume as far as I can tell.Stroudsburg/east strouds have a lot of college kids and is considered a colleege area.Esu is huge!!Sanofi is maybe ten minutes from here .You could go their on rt 611 which is generally a pain because its tourist central and has a hundred lights and malls and restaurants lol. rt 80 runs next to 611 and is a main highway so it takes a quarter of the time on 80 to get to swiftwater exit, like I said ten min from stroudsburg.If want a nice neighborhood check out south stroudsburg /analomink area really nice spot.You go on 7th st passed sunoco and you ll see what i mean , really nice neighborhood tucked away.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM

191 posts, read 394,129 times
Be careful of the private communities near mt pocono , I've read and heard from people here that the gangs and shootings, robbery type stuff seem to be their the most.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Sanofi, makers of the flu vaccine, only hires via the Manpower office located on Rt. 611 in Tannersville...for I/T work they outsourced that to another company so the employee's are not direct hires of Sanofi...and it's a very tough place to get into work-wise because it's the ONLY major employer in the Pokeyournose...so those who are there stay till they either leave of their own free will to go somewhere else or die at their desks...so good luck getting in there...unless your a chemist then it should be a little easier...but like I said you still have to get hired temporarily via Manpower then hope they keep you on permanently...I have a friend working there since '96...started via Manpower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania