Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times

Advertisements

Thats not true. I said that it wouldn't matter which mayor, meaning that they would use for it PR. Thats what parks are for the residents. One PR pic after another. It doesn't need to be Doherty, any politician would do it. He just happens to the one that used Nay Aug for its full potential of PR. Its the only thing he has done in the last 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
It's not even worth discussing anything with you. The sky is blue, go ahead, dispute that one.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Thats not true. I said that it wouldn't matter which mayor, meaning that they would use for it PR. Thats what parks are for the residents. One PR pic after another. It doesn't need to be Doherty, any politician would do it. He just happens to the one that used Nay Aug for its full potential of PR. Its the only thing he has done in the last 7 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
It's not even worth discussing anything with you. The sky is blue, go ahead, dispute that one.
I'm hoping that you'll both vote "YES" on the poll I just created. Obviously you, CHS89, WeLuvPA, myself, and a few others are going to debate and/or argue incessantly because we're all on different wavelengths, and I think we should just keep our grievances confined to ONE THREAD from now on.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM

325 posts, read 806,527 times
Quote:
The PR machine is up and running for the new zoo here in the city. I told you that Doherty will now make it a priority now that we are on the eve of a election year, but I can tell you one thing and I'm sorry to say it I will openly support the closure of the facility before I will allow this city to use it as a PR campaign for a election. Not to mention that we cannot afford to build it and we DON'T NEED IT. Scrantonluna I told days ago that this was going to happen and now you can sit back and watch it unfold right before your eyes like it did when he was elected the first time. Its been run down and not cared about for years but now that we are at the eve of the 2008-09 primary campaign for the mayor to run again he will come in and save the day. Its sad but the animals and the zoo are nothing but a political pawn to be used to play on the taxpayers and voters of the city and nothing more.

Two letters to the editor from people that don't live here? Kind of funny isn't it right after the last editorial went out about the zoo? Sit back and watch how a true corrupt politician plays the PR game thru the only newspaper in the area. I will fight this one, sorry we don't need it.

I think we all get, by now, that you're no fan of the Doherty administration. And that's okay--we're all entitled to an opinion.

Personally, I know very little about the Doherty administration. What I do know is that the zoo needs help. And if the mayor wants to help the zoo, I think that's great. If he does help the zoo he may be doing it at least in part to help his own image. I don't know the man, but I do understand that politicians everywhere do worry about their own images. And there are certainly plenty of politicians whom I can't stand. But here's the thing. If tomorrow morning I woke up and discovered that some politician whom I couldn't stand had somehow managed to establish world peace, I would not go around trying to start a war. Because no matter how much I might dislike the politician in question, world peace would still be worth having, no matter who was going to get the credit (and accompanying positive PR) for establishing the peace.

Maybe improving the zoo would help Doherty, but it would also help the animals, and the visitors to the zoo, and the city in general. Pleasant, well-maintained parks and zoos tend to help attract and maintain citizens who will own homes, open businesses, raise families in the city, and pay taxes. Investing in such facilities can be an investment in the future. And, as I have said several times now, I do not think the city can or should be the sole or even the main source of money for the zoo. Further, whatever improvements do occur must continue long after the upcoming election, which means that a fairly stable mix of funding must be established. If that cannot be accomplished, then I agree that the zoo should be closed. But before we decide that it should be closed, I think it would be both humane and smart to follow the Times-Tribune's advice and encourage the city to establish a commission to study the situation and come up with recommendations on how to improve it.

I do not know exactly what you were implying with the remarks about the letters from two out-of-town people and the timing of the editorial. I suspect that after having received a number of letters on the subject (perhaps including my own), the Times-Tribune editors simply realized that the current zoo is tarnishing the city's image, and decided to run the editorial. And high time too!

Last edited by mbs7; 01-24-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I'm hoping that you'll both vote "YES" on the poll I just created. Obviously you, CHS89, WeLuvPA, myself, and a few others are going to debate and/or argue incessantly because we're all on different wavelengths, and I think we should just keep our grievances confined to ONE THREAD from now on.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Letters

I just wanted to note that I think it's great that more people have written to the paper. Many thanks to those folks! And to everyone else who would like to see conditions at the old zoo improved--please do write your local reps and let them know how you feel!

Both Scrantonluna and I have posted some addresses for various reps over on the related thread: Genesis Wildlife Center - fund raising letter templates

Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM

[quote=mbs7;2611936]
Quote:
Maybe improving the zoo would help Doherty, but it would also help the animals, and the visitors to the zoo, and the city in general. Pleasant, well-maintained parks and zoos tend to help attract and maintain citizens who will own homes, open businesses, raise families in the city, and pay taxes.
It hasn't helped thus far. Close to 680 homes on the market in Scranton. Thats about 18% of the homes.

Quote:
Investing in such facilities can be an investment in the future. And, as I have said several times now, I do not think the city can or should be the sole or even the main source of money for the zoo. Further, whatever improvements do occur must continue long after the upcoming election, which means that a fairly stable mix of funding must be established.
We have invested enough in the future of the city $650,000,000 and have nothing to show for it but a treehouse and bridge. It won't matter after the election just like it didn't matter last year. It only matters between now and May and then November of 09'.

Quote:
If that cannot be accomplished, then I agree that the zoo should be closed. But before we decide that it should be closed, I think it would be both humane and smart to follow the Times-Tribune's advice and encourage the city to establish a commission to study the situation and come up with recommendations on how to improve it.
Now who do you think would be on that commission that has any experience in Zoo's? Those letters like the letters of the infamous Lou Cameron who does not exist did not come from out of state they are just locally written to follow up for the editorial to help build the interest for Doherty to act upon.
The times is just setting it up for the mayor to come in and save the day. Honestly its just a tug at the heart strings of the voters. I understand your concerns as well as Scrantonluna but the current gov't in Scranton is the SOLE reason that the zoo is the way it is so why do think that they would do this? If it wasn't election time it wouldn't matter and I tell you this he will campaign on the zoo but that does not mean that he will do anything but a spit shine on it. Whether you like what I have to say or not its truth. If they really cared it would not be the way it is. Thats the reality of it. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
While you may not have mentioned Doherty by name, you cited examples of things only he's been accused of. Clearly you meant Doherty. Your denials aren't fooling anyone. We get it. You don't like the guy. Find a new schtick.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't like what he has done to the city and the residents and honestly if he cared about the zoo for real do you think that it would this way right now. He loves that "restoring the pride", but where is he when the zoo needs him. Where is the pride for the zoo. The point it is he let it go to crap and now he is the white knight coming into to save the zoo. Its his fault in the first place. Its really that simple, he is the one with the power to fix it and he did nothing.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
How much have you contributed directly to the zoo, timewise and financially?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania