Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 AM

164 posts, read 385,057 times

Advertisements

I do believe that I am right (my opinion) that you do not like me posting here ... as I posted in the past and I have to say that your response was quite rude ... that's ok ... I respect that this is your territory and I am simply an unwanted guest here ... again that is just my opinion.

Dan ask yourself this question ... Joe has said that he used this word for a reaction ... and he got what he wanted ... why he picked that particular word when so many others were available to him is beyond me ...so tell me this why did Joe pick that particular meeting to try and get a reaction from Judy ... he knew the budget was on the agenda ... he knew the effect that the smoking ban had on the budget last year ... so why did he do this at this time ... I think that is a fair question ... don't you?

I have never said that we are better than anyone ... I do not think that we are on the same level with Joe ... but you Dan are entitled to your opinion ... and I will respect that. What I do think is this ... you are right we do try and figure out who people are ... and yes some of the posters do some name calling ... but to say that we are on the level of our neighbors across the hall ... well I have to beg to differ with you on that one ... and to say there is never a serious discussion there again I guess that we will have to agree to disagree.

We do not sit around an continuously bash Mayor Doherty, Judy Gatelli, Sherry Fanucci and Bob McGoff ... we do not sit around and talk about how we followed any of these people thinking that because they are elected officials that it is our God given right to delve into their personal lives ... to trash the children, spouses, brothers and sisters ... or someone who just happens to be a friend of one of these or the numerous others that are the enemy's of the posters of DD ...

To you Dan I say that you are quite welcome to join ... and no I am not promoting our site ,... I am only addressing your post. Bring up a serious subject and I assure you that you will get a serious discussion to address the issue. You may not like what they have to say ... but they will discuss just about anything with you.

Our site is a site that addresses the posts of DD ... that's what we are ... we have never said that we were in competition with them ... I couldn't go as low as most of the posters at DD if I tried and I don't think any of the members of PD could either ...

I like the CD forum ... as I have said I do not post often ... but I do read it and I quite enjoy reading what it is you are all saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Honestly I do not think that the sites are on the same level. Yours is without question far less abrasive and certainly alot less combative. MY tone as you like about your previous posts was on point. Everytime someone from your site comes here we have problems. We have to have posts removed and posters banned for their "everything and anything" posts here on some council members. You yourself have posted links to your site and have gotten on the anti-Joe band wagon here. The last time you and I had a discussion was on the dog park. I'm sorry but I have yet to see one serious discussion about anything on your site other then DD. This city is $650,000,000 in debt in less than 6 years and they just passed a record breaking $84,500,000 budget for a DISTRESSED CITY and that is no where to be found in any thread on PD. Do you guys even care or are you just part of the sytem that is killing the city. Are you on the receiving end of the admin? Because if it doesn't upset you then you either are benefiting from it or don't live in the city, which is it? I try very hard to leave PD and DD where they are because I do not feel that this is a forum for either site. We try to run the middle ground, sure it gets heated sometimes, but we still like to keep neutral of the sites. I post under my real name and have never had anything to hide. Sure Joe wanted a reaction and sure he used that word to get Judy to react when no other would but my point is this, its Judy's job to keep the meetings together and its her job to keep it to "city business" but she was the one that let it fly in front of a high school class and the coutless other kids that do watch the meetings like mine. She brought it out on air, on camera not Joe. She made it "city business" not Joe.

Honestly I have no respect for people that ridicule flood victims and what they have to go thru. You have no idea what its like to have to go thru it and what it takes to get back to normal. I don't find it funny that we have been forgotten and neglected while the city spends soo much money on nothing. Our homes on my block have never been flooded in over a 100 years but yet I'm accused of buying a house by a river and should have known better. Over 100 years my family has been here in this neighborhood. Thats along time and alot of my neighbors have had family here just as long. This neighborhood might not be the 1700 blk of N washington but it has history and it has a community feel to it because we all have been here for soo long. Generations have raised their kids here. Like I said I have no time for PD and its 6th grade name calling and guess who crap. I also have no time for the DD crap either. If you wanted to post here then please do so, but leave the PD cheerleading and anti-DD knocking home. Like I said my only complaint is when the BS from the 2 sites ends up here.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Our homes on my block have never been flooded in over a 100 years but yet I'm accused of buying a house by a river and should have known better. Over 100 years my family has been here in this neighborhood. Thats along time and alot of my neighbors have had family here just as long.
Dan, whoever decided to just build the levee on one side of the river at a time, should be banned from engineering for life. I realize funding is hard to come by especially when the ACoE is doing a project, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that when you build a 18-20 foot high or higher levee on one side of the river (protecting the Plot) and you have massive amounts of rain and/or ice melting and runoff, the water is going to go to the path of least resistance and bounce off that levee and come back onto Nay Aug Ave and your neighborhood.

They should have built levees on both sides of the river at the same time and replaced the Albright Ave bridge with a single span and no middle support under the bridge. It was quite sad to see when they put the flood gates in at the Albright bridge, that on your side while it's nice to have a flood gate, there was no levee on either side of it, hello, the water is just going to go around it. I realize both flood gates were a part of the levee project on the west or south side of the river, but how could it be used properly or serve a purpose when there's nothing on both sides of the gate on the east or north sides.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Try explaining that to the engineers and see where it gets you. We have no choice but to wait and that is what gets me angry. The city could and should rebuild and raise our existing bank till the Army Corps. is done. We don't matter because we don't pull enough votes in either direction. If our neighborhood was bigger and had a larger voting block you would be surprised what we could get done around here. Look at Southside and the voting block that Judy can sway with neighborhood repairs and house demo's. That is a huge block of the voting public and they need to keep them happy. The flood gates are like a monument for us to the ineffiecency of gov't, local, federal and state.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Dan, whoever decided to just build the levee on one side of the river at a time, should be banned from engineering for life. I realize funding is hard to come by especially when the ACoE is doing a project, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that when you build a 18-20 foot high or higher levee on one side of the river (protecting the Plot) and you have massive amounts of rain and/or ice melting and runoff, the water is going to go to the path of least resistance and bounce off that levee and come back onto Nay Aug Ave and your neighborhood.

They should have built levees on both sides of the river at the same time and replaced the Albright Ave bridge with a single span and no middle support under the bridge. It was quite sad to see when they put the flood gates in at the Albright bridge, that on your side while it's nice to have a flood gate, there was no levee on either side of it, hello, the water is just going to go around it. I realize both flood gates were a part of the levee project on the west or south side of the river, but how could it be used properly or serve a purpose when there's nothing on both sides of the gate on the east or north sides.

I totally agree with you here. West Pittston, Jenkins Township, Plains Township, and other low-lying communities in Northern Luzerne County flood more frequently than ever now that Wilkes-Barre has its 41' high levee and the Lower West Side has a 39' levee. These upstream communities have no levee protection, and the water just builds up. We're closing the year 2007 around seven inches above average in rainfall. If we have a very wet Spring 2008 as well, I have a feeling that Dan will be bailing out his basement once more, heading to Lowe's to buy a new hot water heater, approaching the city council podium to yell at Judy, etc. Mark my words that if this weather pattern continues there will be another flood in 2008. For what it's worth though this should be the LAST flood that plagues Lower Green Ridge. Unfortunately, as the Lackawanna River communities are protected, that just catapults the water all downstream and will make flooding concerns worse near the confluence with the Susquehanna in the Duryea/West Pittston areas.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM

164 posts, read 385,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Honestly I have no respect for people that ridicule flood victims and what they have to go thru. You have no idea what its like to have to go thru it and what it takes to get back to normal. I don't find it funny that we have been forgotten and neglected while the city spends soo much money on nothing. Our homes on my block have never been flooded in over a 100 years but yet I'm accused of buying a house by a river and should have known better. Over 100 years my family has been here in this neighborhood. Thats along time and alot of my neighbors have had family here just as long. This neighborhood might not be the 1700 blk of N washington but it has history and it has a community feel to it because we all have been here for soo long. Generations have raised their kids here. Like I said I have no time for PD and its 6th grade name calling and guess who crap. I also have no time for the DD crap either. If you wanted to post here then please do so, but leave the PD cheerleading and anti-DD knocking home. Like I said my only complaint is when the BS from the 2 sites ends up here.

I can only apologize to you if you were offended by anything that was posted on PD.

I also must say that I am neither a part of the Administration nor do I live outside of the city ... I have live in the City of Scranton my entire life ... and as far as knowing nothing about floods and the devistation that they cause by being a victim and what it takes to come back from one ... you are quite wrong. I know exactly what it is like ... I know what it's like to have everything stored in your basement and the water reaches the first floor ... I know what it's like to deal with flood insurance that covers nothing and to deal with FEMA that claims to be there to help yet the help never comes ... and still you have to replace your furnace and you breaker box ... not to mention the constant worry of mold developing ...

I remember shoveling the filthy smelly flood muck from the basement of our home and every now and again something would catch my eye ... another memory lost ... Grandmas ornaments ... which I should have never stored in the basement ... but I did ... and then I grabbed for one that I thought might be intact and well since half of it was covered in mud ... I soon learned that it was broken and what really triggered that thought for me was when I saw the blood running down my hand as I had cut it open ... now I was in for a trip to my family doctor ... for a tetanus shot ... because God only knows what disease can be had after working in that muck! But you are right I have no clue.

I think that you should have the siren and I think that the levees should be taken care of as quickly as possible ...

I admit that I had a post removed because I promoted PD ... my first post ... I never did it again when I found out that it was against the rules.

I did address the Dog Park ... you didn't like it ... so I never posted again ...until very recently ... This time I was not the one who was promoting the other site here ... I was just addressing what it was really ... I believe that it was SWB who was promoting it ... and not really in a light that I cared for ... the only reason I posted was to address his post.

Now I will once again take my seat quietly in the back of the room and wait for the moment that I can no longer stay silent.

Happy New Year to one and all ... I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
I think it's great that Ron Paul has thus far gotten 35% of the vote in Pennsylvania, on the AOL Straw Poll and is number one by a big margin!

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...00010000000001

Imagine the type of growth and productivity that would take place is this man were President. We could even go back to being the envy of the whole world again, not to mention having more $$ in our pockets, be at peace........

If you notice on that poll, there are only a few states that are NOT leaning toward this candidate. Heheh NJ-NY apparently is satisfied with the status quo ( Let's hope not )

Oops, sorry, is this irrelevent? I thought about it but then thought, no, it's not irrelevant. It just might be showing the upcoming trend and that Americans are waking up.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Dan, I remember when you took me for a tour around your neighborhood last summer. You showed me all the points where the Army Corp of Engineers were supposed to help. They only did a minimal job in my opinion as did the city. Like you said, your neighborhood isn't that big to matter to King Chris and his sheep.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I think it's great that Ron Paul has thus far gotten 35% of the vote in Pennsylvania, on the AOL Straw Poll and is number one by a big margin!

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...00010000000001

Imagine the type of growth and productivity that would take place is this man were President. We could even go back to being the envy of the whole world again, not to mention having more $$ in our pockets, be at peace........

If you notice on that poll, there are only a few states that are NOT leaning toward this candidate. Heheh NJ-NY apparently is satisfied with the status quo ( Let's hope not )

Oops, sorry, is this irrelevent? I thought about it but then thought, no, it's not irrelevant. It just might be showing the upcoming trend and that Americans are waking up.
Ron Paul has my vote. I agree with him on 2 main issues to me. For starters, he's pro-life, and also, he voted against the Iraq war from day one, as opposed to democrats like Hillary, who voted for the war, and then became anti-war when it was politically advantageous to do so. I'm staunchly anti-abortion, and I have opposed this senseless war in Iraq from day one. I'm switching my registration to republican to vote for Ron in the primary (I'm currently registered independent).

Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Dan, I remember when you took me for a tour around your neighborhood last summer. You showed me all the points where the Army Corp of Engineers were supposed to help. They only did a minimal job in my opinion as did the city. Like you said, your neighborhood isn't that big to matter to King Chris and his sheep.
...but doesn't the mayor himself live in Green Ridge on North Washington Avenue perhaps a half-mile from Dan's home?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-27-2007 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania