Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

From 2012 to 2013 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau to have experienced a very drastic population decline.

Luzerne County: -1,320
Lackawanna County: -497
Wyoming County: -190

TOTAL: -2,007

Granted these are just an annual ESTIMATE and could be subject to a small margin of error. With that being said what are your thoughts about this data?

Here are some of my own insights:

-The area needs aggressive new political leadership ASAP.

-The area needs greater intergovernmental collaboration between Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, AND Hazleton ASAP.

-The area needs to examine ways to curtail the "Brain Drain".

-The area needs to attract better-quality employers than the largely low-paying ones that have been coming.

-The area needs aggressive promotional marketing ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times
Too bad the Marcellus Shale business isn't going over that way.
Nice area. I wouldn't mind living there.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Too bad the Marcellus Shale business isn't going over that way.
Nice area. I wouldn't mind living there.
I grew up equidistant from either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre in the extreme northeastern corner of Luzerne County. It truly isn't a bad area at all. Yes, it has its flaws, but there's no real excuse as to why the area has to be in such freefall.

To be fair the Marcellus Shale industry IS going strong in Washington County, PA (suburb of Pittsburgh), yet the population of this county is also projected to have SHRUNK from 2012 to 2013. The same can be said for other Marcellus-related counties in PA such as Bradford, Susquehanna, Tioga, or Lycoming. There's just not enough activity in PA to stimulate the type of population growth North Dakota, for example, has been experiencing.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Without a charismatic Corey Booker or Rudy Giuliani type political figure on the horizon, you'll never get "aggressive new leadership". Is there anyone like that on the city council, in the DA's office, a regional business, or county government? Or has everyone with a 3-digit IQ left for Harrisburg and beyond?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
One reason for the loss of population may be old age mortality or retiring to a warmer clime. After all, Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties and PA in general have an older demographic profile. Only Florida has more seniors.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 11,093 times
Take Hazleton for example, air freight companies want in, we won't let them build. Why? Because it will lower the property value of homes no one can afford.

Benefit if a air freight air port? Fire fighters who are better trained, and paid than the local city firefighters. Thus giving the city firefighters upward mobility from low paid city worker to private company worker.

Mechanics, from air craft to vehicle.

There are more examples, but Hazleton's stuck in this mindset of living like our parents did and hoping things get better.

Another thing we need, entertainment that appeals to those born between 1980 and 2000. If you do not entertain us, we won't stay unless we are trapped by economic situations.

The local corruption is terminal. Our area voted into office barletta and I can show you photos of the dirt roads... His asphalt company took in a great amount of profit from the contract and nothing of meaningful value has been given in return.

Then you have the downtown that has vanishing buildings and empty lots which if nothing else should be paved over and used as free public parking.

Wilkes barre can charge fees for downtown parking, they have a city with a captive audience of college students... Hazleton has a hand full of businesses which cater to the elderly.

If these cities want to grow, entertainment beings people in, jobs keeps people.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM

452 posts, read 682,013 times
Gee Wells, another insightful, intellectual, inspired analogy of the current issues facing the area and why. But perhaps you're overlooking the obvious fact that people with half a brain are cutting their losses and just moving out of that crap hole. One of my favorite sayings is "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupid. So let's not over think this one, OK pal???

Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
The only way this area will change is for people to work together and learn they can change things. There are a few groups of dedicated, intelligent and creative individuals who have wonderful ideas to change the area. But they can't do it alone. There is a fine line between being realistic and being negative. While I appreciate there are people fed up with the area and have chosen to cut their losses and move away, it doesn't mean nothing can be done to fix NE PA.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
One reason for the loss of population may be old age mortality or retiring to a warmer clime. After all, Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties and PA in general have an older demographic profile. Only Florida has more seniors.
That's a great illustration of the problem: The only people left in those counties are seniors who are too poor to move to Florida, and then they die.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I'm a senior and I'm not too poor to move to Florida. I don't want to move to Florida. I have five sons who have chosen to stay here and raise their families. They work here and play here. They would miss me if I moved to Florida. I will, of course, die. I've tried to figure out a way around it, but I will die. Even if I moved to Florida.

Let's say that we, my family that is, have decided to stay here so that there will be some semblance of stability remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania