Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Without a charismatic Corey Booker or Rudy Giuliani type political figure on the horizon, you'll never get "aggressive new leadership". Is there anyone like that on the city council, in the DA's office, a regional business, or county government? Or has everyone with a 3-digit IQ left for Harrisburg and beyond?
All I know for certain is that as a teenager I felt like I was talking to a box of rocks each time I approached the podium at my monthly township supervisors' meetings to discuss concerns that went way above the supervisors' heads. I also grew up watching the televised Scranton City Council meetings, and I felt sorry for Scrantonians because they thought Councilwoman Janet Evans was the Messiah when I saw right through her from the very beginning. Then you have newly-minted Mayor Bill Courtright. What "visionary" ideas of his landed him in his position? What has he done thus far? What's his position on the hundreds of jobs leaving Downtown Scranton? What's his position on the impending failure of the Mall at Steamtown? What's his plan to keep college graduates IN the city?

I actually can't think of many COMPETENT politicans in NEPA at all, let alone brilliant ones. I was encouraged by State Senator Lisa Baker (Back Mountain, Luzerne County) and State Representative Phyllis Mundy (Luzerne County), who is retiring soon. Otherwise the mayoral leadership in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Hazleton have been laughable, at best, for years. Pittston's current leadership is the most industrious and visionary its had during my lifetime, and while I'm highly encouraged by those at the helm the city has a LONG way to go before it can claim to be revitalized in my eyes.

We're talking about the same people who elected Greg Skrepenak to public office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Leadership is not the answer. Frankly, asking a politician - ahem - public SERVANT to act as a MASTER is contrary to reason.
It's the fault of the PEOPLE.
NE PA has been driving away its talented people for decades.
Cause?
The old money rules behind the scene, and they aren't about to fold up their tents just cuz we sez so.
So anyone with half a brain, hitches up their 'wagon' and high tails it for anywhere else.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
The lack of conversation about this truly tells you just how doomed Scranton/Wilkes-Barre really is. Nobody cares.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The lack of conversation about this truly tells you just how doomed Scranton/Wilkes-Barre really is. Nobody cares.
It's just a sucky site that has the life ripped out of it repeatedly by trolls and overbearing mods. That is why you get no response. People don't care about this site.

The people I see here in the valley are all just happily going about their lives, I don't see the doom and gloom and even with the numbers going down the town still looks full and vibrant with people that want to be here.

I see no point in making a big discussion about doomsday, I would rather read an article about the next asteroid that is going to hit us. You want real doomsday? Go read an article about Fukushima. I'm not going to waste my time worrying about a few hundred less people living here. Good riddance if you hate it here. Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Is it ignorance? Or apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Just what is it you want? You couldn't "fix" the area when you lived here, now you want to mend it from a distance.

Maybe no one is responding because they are busy living their lives. Maybe they are trying to make things better for themselves and their families. Maybe they've all left the area. Maybe they simply have no interest in engaging with you.

When you and another poster (who also doesn't live in NEPA) show up and tell us what's wrong with us and why we should get wise or get out, I'm reminded of an old Irish tune that includes the line;
"For the strangers came and tried to teach us their way. They scorned us just for being what we are."

FTR: The jobs you have held since you moved to Shangri-burgh are all available here in our area, so while a college education is never a bad thing, some people are able to get along without one.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Is it ignorance? Or apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Just what is it you want? You couldn't "fix" the area when you lived here, now you want to mend it from a distance.

Maybe no one is responding because they are busy living their lives. Maybe they are trying to make things better for themselves and their families. Maybe they've all left the area. Maybe they simply have no interest in engaging with you.

When you and another poster (who also doesn't live in NEPA) show up and tell us what's wrong with us and why we should get wise or get out, I'm reminded of an old Irish tune that includes the line;
"For the strangers came and tried to teach us their way. They scorned us just for being what we are."

FTR: The jobs you have held since you moved to Shangri-burgh are all available here in our area, so while a college education is never a bad thing, some people are able to get along without one.
I agree with most of what you say and would rep you if I could.

Our area does have problems and we do want to hear from people that have solutions. Scranton was just listed as a mid-sized municipal area that ranked 17th in the nation for poor roads - I think my area has to be close to yours in poor roads. It is hard to get the ceo's in their Lexus to visit during pothole season! Ideas, money, skills, efficiency are all welcome when it comes to our problems.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:19 PM

331 posts, read 639,961 times
I think scranbarre's (sorry man, I loved that name. You'll always be it to me) posts are generally **** on by people here who seem to take offense at anything he says. I've been around the forum for years, back before he left for VA and well before he was in Pittsburgh. Everything I've seen from him is concern and hope for the area. He's definitely idealistic, but you need people like that to move forward.

No one is saying there is no life for people who don't attend college, but you need to understand that low wage jobs are all this area offers. There is no diversification. Say what you want about yuppies or hipsters, but those are the people who inject life into areas with expendable income. You can't live check to check on labor jobs and still have money to throw at theaters, fine dining, etc. Most of the Valley towns are dumpy because folks can't afford to keep them up, and that reflects poorly on all of their neighbors.

Fix the tax structure of Scranton, end (at least some of) the corruption, give the white collar workers a reason to stay. It benefits everyone in the end, whether you want to believe that or not.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I think scranbarre's (sorry man, I loved that name. You'll always be it to me) posts are generally **** on by people here who seem to take offense at anything he says. I've been around the forum for years, back before he left for VA and well before he was in Pittsburgh. Everything I've seen from him is concern and hope for the area. He's definitely idealistic, but you need people like that to move forward.

No one is saying there is no life for people who don't attend college, but you need to understand that low wage jobs are all this area offers. There is no diversification. Say what you want about yuppies or hipsters, but those are the people who inject life into areas with expendable income. You can't live check to check on labor jobs and still have money to throw at theaters, fine dining, etc. Most of the Valley towns are dumpy because folks can't afford to keep them up, and that reflects poorly on all of their neighbors.

Fix the tax structure of Scranton, end (at least some of) the corruption, give the white collar workers a reason to stay. It benefits everyone in the end, whether you want to believe that or not.
March, let me get this out of the way - people don't generally **** on Paul's posts. MOF, back in the day, when I was new to this site, he had quite the cheering section but many of his supporters have left the forum. And even the people who did battle with him respected his perspicacity.

Now I'm not looking to disagree with or take offense at anything he, or you, have to say. What's wrong with asking specifically how it can be fixed? We who live here know about the flaws. We do, after all, see them every day. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton has always been a blue collar area. The people who lived and worked here made good lives for themselves in the mining/manufacturing companies that were located here. They built homes, raised families, and educated them so they wouldn't have to work as hard has their parents. They were satisfied if their children earned a degree and left the area for better jobs, as long as they came back for Easter and Christmas.

The legs were cut from under the area when the mines caved in and the Great Corporation Migration began. Yes, we know there are no "good" jobs here. Well, maybe not "no" but certainly not a lot. That being said, there are plenty of people who do have jobs that afford them good wages, benefits, and time (and money) enough to indulge in entertainment.

Fix the tax structure of Scranton, you say. And I've said. And so have many others. Why would it be surprising that the city lost residents who were tired of the property taxes and the wage taxes and the garbage fees - all out of control? I agree, it needs to be fixed. Now can you offer a suggestion as to how to accomplish that?

End corruption - HA! I'm sure we'd appreciate your input on how to solve that problem.

Keeping white collar workers here won't happen until there is industry in which to engage. Bring them here and the colleges will keep their jobs filled.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "wanting to believe that or not". It has to do with people who simply feel that calling attention to the bad is sufficient. Until and unless someone comes in with some concrete solutions, those of us who have lived here and worked here and attempted to fix things will continue to insist that it isn't as bleak as painted.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 PM

331 posts, read 639,961 times
My tax/corruption/white collar comments were all actually about Scranton itself. I don't know enough about how wb is run to say anything about it, although I've heard their mayor makes gobs more than Scranton's.

Ending come corruption is tough, but I think you need new blood in office who is unrelated to any of the big names in Scranton business. Most of the problems stem from kickbacks and cronyism. They're always going to be an issue, but you have to try to find the least awful people to do it. It really seems to me that Scranton has an issue with no one wanting to step in and take leadership/ownership of that role. People become too focused on their immediate gains, their immediately family and friends, and forget about the welfare of the other 70k people of the city.

I know this is all easier said than done. I'm not from Scranton, though, so what do I know. :/ all I can say is that I have the ability to move and pay taxes there tomorrow if I really wanted to, but the city is screwed up enough that I won't do it. Right now I'm trying to make sure my family is able to lay down roots, I can't be responsible for any entire city. I'm not a politician, I can't lie to people's faces.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM

232 posts, read 347,556 times
How many folks did the city of Scranton lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania