Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 12,740 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just relocated to the Morristown, NJ area from southwestern PA. We found an apartment close to Morristown but would like to buy a home sometime in the near future. The housing costs in NJ are absurd, even close to the PA border. We have found that we could get so much more for our money in the East Stroudsburg area. Nice new homes on large lots that we could afford. So, my questions are:

1) Someone previously commented that Monroe County is not so nice with a lot of crime. I thought that the E. Stroudsburg area was supposed to be very nice. Does anyone else have opinions on the area?

2) Does anyone make the commute from E. Stroudsburg to the Morristown, NJ area (or somewhere nearby)? I know that it would be long, but I'm trying to decide if it would be tolerabe and worth it to actually own a nice home in a nice area.

I would appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 08:45 PM

50 posts, read 209,404 times
Default Me too

I am looking for the same exact answers. Hopefully my reply will push your post up to the front again. My husband has to commute to Bergen Cty and we wont pay the taxes or the price of homes in NJ. I had a 2800 sq ft home in Fl we paid 185K for 2 years ago! Im renting it out now but Stroudsburg seems like a nice area. Lets hope we get some answers.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 22,202 times
Default Re: East Stroudsburg Commute

I live in the East Stroudsburg area and commute to Parsippany, New Jersey, 5 days a week. (Parsippany, just off I-80 in Morris County, is about 12 miles north of Morristown.) I moved to the area from Lancaster County, in south-central PA, 2 years ago and have been doing the PA-to-NJ commute on I-80 ever since.

The residential population of the Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg area, and of Monroe County in general, has increased dramatically in recent years. What was once a primarily resort/tourist region has largely become a bedroom community. With this population increase, the Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg area seems to have gotten a bad reputation--a reputation that seems to have extended to most or all of Monroe County. When speaking with longtime residents of the area about how the area today compares with the area of yesteryear, you'll likely encounter some strong (and often negative) ideas and opinions. Keep in mind, though, that they are only ideas and opinions. Everyone sees things differently, and you'll need to form your own point of view.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that the Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg area really doesn't deserve the bad reputation it seems to have gotten.

The Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg area has become the main population center of Monroe County and may seem a bit crowded at times. The cost of living has risen in recent years, although it's still much lower than that of northeast New Jersey. Downtown Stroudsburg has quite bit of charm, I think. Beyond Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg are some less-populated but still good-sized communities, such as Mount Pocono and Brodheadsville, and some communities that are really nothing more than hamlets. You'll also encounter lots of areas devoid or nearly devoid of population, along with some very nice state parks. Monroe County, overall, has a lot of natural and still-unspoiled beauty.

As for the commute on I-80 in New Jersey . . .

In the morning, you'll find that the traffic moves freely for the first 25 miles or so past the Delaware Water Gap. The traffic volume is generally light (sometimes extremely sparse) to moderate. This is rural Warren County, and I always find the drive through there to be very pleasant. (Watch your speed through this area; it is frequently patrolled by police.) However, the volume rapidly increases as you enter Morris County and, on most mornings, invariably jams up into gridlock somewhere between exits 25 and 30. Heavy, stop-and-go traffic often prevails for many miles.

In the evening, heading west on I-80, expect heavy, stop-and-go traffic through Parsippany, Denville, and Rockaway. The traffic normally begins to break up the closer you get to exit 34 (the exit for Route 15) and continues to break up the farther west you go. After exit 26, it seems to flow freely.

I won't kid you: This commute is definitely not for everyone. In the morning, you'll need to give yourself an extra window of time to allow for the miles of traffic gridlock.

If you work in Morristown, you'll also need to consider the traffic volume on I-287. I'm not familiar with traffic conditions on that highway; perhaps another forum member may know. An alternative to I-287 might be Route 202, but then you'll have to contend with traffic lights.

My suggestion: Before you commit to moving to PA and making the commute, spend a week at a hotel or motel in PA, close to I-80, and do a test commute to see whether you'll tolerate doing it long-term.

Also, if you want to move to PA but avoid the I-80 trek through the Delaware Water Gap (and slightly shorten your commute), you might consider moving to northeast Northampton County. Lots of rural areas and open space, along with a few lightly populated towns such as Portland, Mount Bethel, and Bangor, and easy, direct access to I-80 (the area around exit 4) via the Columbia-Portland bridge.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,319 times
I have lived in E.Stroudsburg PA since 1990. I have worked in Jersey City, NJ; Richfield Park NJ, Parsippany NJ & NYC since living in E. Stroudsburg.

I am not going to pull any punches here, the daily commute From E' Burg to NJ on RT 80 during PEAK commute times is HORRENDUS! And it has got MUCH worse over the past 16 years!

I now work 3 (13 hr) shifts at night in Carlstadt NJ, which is a HUGE relief. Since I am driving against the traffic going home in the am, and a night there is never a problem. And only 3 days..is sweet!

From 1997 to 2004 I commuted to Parsippany 5 days a week (9 to 5'er) It took a average of 1hr 45mins to get to work each am. (sometimes it was well over 2 hours). I know MANY E'burg to NJ commuters and they are all in agreement....IT's Bad!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 AM

19 posts, read 195,853 times
My wife and I are planning on moving from NYC to E. Stroudsburg; however debating on the fact of this long commute everyone is talking about. If we do move, I will be taking Martz bus to NYC 5 days a week which will pick/drop me on Wall Street (thats where I work) theoretically it is 1.30 hours each way and $480 a month (40 rides).

E'burg'ers do you'll commute to NYC on daily bases? any inputs?

thx,

Faraz

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM

276 posts, read 678,220 times
I've lived in East Stroudsburg for about 9 months now and I don't regret my decision. I actually commute to Newark so my distance is further then others who have commented and I drive by Parsippany on my way to work. It's not too bad but it can take anywhere from 1.5 hours on a good day to upwards of 2.5 hours on a bad day to get to work.

The commute home is actually a piece of cake although I usually leave work after 7 PM so I encounter less traffic. In fact, I might have been on a true traffic jam coming home maybe 4 or 5 times since I moved.

The commute also seems to be more busy in the Fall and Winter, and becomes significantly easier in the Spring and Summer when folks go on vacation and school is out. I just don't find it that bad.

I also love the area. Folks have said bad things about Stroudsburg, but the town area is very charming. I love it. When Spring comes I'll be exploring the area more. I can't wait!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM

19 posts, read 195,853 times
We are visiting Stroudsburg this Sunday to meet a broker... hope all works well

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,966 times
Monroe County:
I live in Marshalls Creek area of the Poconos. About 7 miles from E.Stroudsburg. I love it here. I go into town often to shop and do other things. Stroudsburg is a beautiful town. Some parts of E. Strouds are not nice at all. Shopping and dinning is very nice on Main Street. You will find antique shops, art studios, and a favorite place of mine is the Main Street Jute Box where they sell music, old records, and collectables. Most places you shop here workers are so nice and love to talk to you. People are generally more friendly.

When I lived in NJ my commute from Lyndhurst NJ to Parsippany NJ (where I worked at the time) was so stressful. What should have been a 20 minute commute took an hour or more going to work and coming home. Especially in winter months and always whenever it rained. There were times it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home.

The past 2 1/2 years I drove back and forth from PA to Parsippany NJ. The view going home is wonderful and so much less stress. After passing Rockaway (Rt. 15 area) traffic becomes a breeze. The toll to enter PA is $1 and the money collectors are welcoming. Most of them say hello and smile. It feels like I'm entering another world sometimes. A few times I got stuck exiting rt 80 to rt 209 due to construction.

Finding your way around takes time. You have to get to know the area you live in learn the back roads etc. GPS does find many addresses out here and getting clear directions from people who live here isn't exactly helpful. They leave out a lot of details, LOL But after a while you get used to it and learn how to figure it out yourself.

Be safe and use common sense where ever you go. Visit, drive around, and talk to people in the area you are considering relocating to. Get a feel for it and especially consult your realtor because many of them will give you a heads up on community issues.

Last edited by jlot80; 08-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: One more thing, if you move to PA remember that this is a Common Wealth state. Some laws are different here. Do some research

Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlot80 View Post

The past 2 1/2 years I drove back and forth from PA to Parsippany NJ. The view going home is wonderful and so much less stress. After passing Rockaway (Rt. 15 area) traffic becomes a breeze. The toll to enter PA is $1 and the money collectors are welcoming. Most of them say hello and smile. It feels like I'm entering another world sometimes. A few times I got stuck exiting rt 80 to rt 209 due to construction.
Glad you like it here! Have you tried EZ-Pass? It'll cut the $1 toll to 60 cents. But if you miss talking to the toll-takers, you can still pass thru their booth and say Hi once in a while!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:40 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
I just realized this post is a little old but for people inquiring about daily commutes from the poconos I could help. For my commute from stroudsburg to dover nj I l leave at6115 and get to work at 7.I take 80 to succusuna exit and take 46.For Morristown commuters. you take 80 to succusana exit follow rt 10 to sussex turnpike and it drops you in down morristown.This will make your commute an hour or less without the 80 or 287 jams.Hope this helps my fellow commuters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania