Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 AM

910 posts, read 2,996,171 times

Advertisements

Well, by some amazing miracle my family in ny has agreed to take my boys for a weekend in April. My hubby and I go to Hershey once a year usually, hang around Harrisburg, go to the outlets, spa, hersheypark, etc. Its close enough to home and just relaxing. But this time we're thinking of branching out a bit, but still within a 2 hour driving range from nyc.

How does philly sound? I know food wise it will be ok but is there enough to do as a couple for 3 days? We dont go out late, so i dont need to know about clubs and bars, I'm tired

Any other suggestions on where to go? We thought Florida since it would be an equal commute by plane, but I really would feel bad going somewhere like that without the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 AM

620 posts, read 2,058,399 times
Philly is a nice place to visit...see if they will take your boys in March, and go to the flower show! Spectacular!!! March 2-9. The art museum is great too.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM

76 posts, read 261,278 times
I second the Philadelphia Flower Show!!! Last year, there was an Irish theme, and it was just beautiful.

That alone will take up an entire day, and then you can do some museum-ing, walking and eating, eating, eating the other day.

If you can't go in March, there are a bunch of April events that are going on throughout the month, including The Philadelphia Antiques Show, which is going on from April 12th-15th.
The Philadelphia Antiques Show -- April 12-15, 2008

I think at Penn there will be some flower shows in the month of April, and walking around the Penn campus in April will be beautiful even if you can't find the exhibitions.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM

253 posts, read 998,131 times
How about Atlantic City? Even if you're not gamblers (which we aren't either), April is a nice time to stroll the boardwalk and get fresh air, plus there's shows at night, outlet shopping, and great people watching. If you're going to Philly, it's not that far away and can take up one of your 3 days.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,775,786 times
We went to Philly for a weekend when my younger daughter was in 5th grade (maybe 4th?) , I believe that is the grade where you study your state's history in Social Studies. She loved learning about PA, and to visit the Liberty Bell and all the other historical attractions was really neat for her. We had a great time and did A LOT of walking.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM

414 posts, read 1,781,486 times
Museum of Art; take in the Philadelphia Orchestra at Verizon Hall/ dramatic Kimmel Center to hear one of the world's best symphonic ensembles----there's a review of their show at Carnegie Hall in today's NYTimes--Thurs., Jan. 24, hear first rate opera (Apr.4-15?) at the Academy of Music (oldest opera house in use in USA-1857); visit Independence Hall for a very haunting, deeply affecting experience seeing the 'documents' of the nation's founding where it happened.....eat like kings at Striped Bass, like pigs at Reading Terminal Market; lotsa clubs, music, theater or jazz at sensual Zanzibar Blue. I could find enough to do for three weeks with no problem......
...check out America's first bank, hospital, stock exchange, commodities exchange, etc. all still existing..

-take one of the double decker tour buses from near Convention Center to get a great perspective/ sense of the city--you can get off and back on, as you wish....

poke around these:

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Kimmel Center, Inc.
OPERA COMPANY OF PHILADELPHIA
Welcome to gophila.com -- the Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania