Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 0 0%
No 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 AM

188 posts, read 156,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
There is a very tricky catch 22 when it comes to that. If a person actually commits a crime but is illegal there is more than one group that will jump in to ensure human rights are being met. Police skirt a very fine line because if they violate any procedure (and their conduct will be scrutinized) the 3rd party will move in and get the cop in trouble. So ask yourself, if some guy how does not speak english gets pulled over and you realize he has no ID and speaks no English and you are going top have to go though ten different channels just to process this otherwise simple citation, what do you do.

I think it depends on the officer and the situation. I think anytime language is an issue things get hairy. But if a CRIME in its truest definition is being committed any cop worthy of wearing a badge will do his job and make the arrest....time consuming or not.
It's a little disconsirting that as a tax payer your money is being wasted on this sort of thing. Especially with budgets being as tight as they are. It's another bag of XXXX that is being dumped on the tax payer without permission.

Last edited by TERMINOLOGY; 01-30-2008 at 06:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
TERM:

I think if that is the case you need to contact a lawyer and the local news channels, explain your situation and file formal complaints against the police. I don't mean you but i think too many people let their imaginations run wild with these scenarios of ILLEGAL'S ruining the fabric of our society. The fact of the matter is it is your own attitude that will dictate you overall state of mind.

Do I think that police are over burdended; maybe. Do I think Scranton is experiencing some dramatic down turn is proper police work due to a few hundered EL Salvadorians living in SouthSide? NO
I would be glad to contact a lawyer with the tax payers money, but not mine. The law is penalty. To be just, and penalized $500 to $1000 for an attorney is not sound, but it may be justice. How much can you REASONABLY afford? I can't afford to acquire justice at any price. I am not OJ. The police left it up to me to meet out the justice that I could afford. THIS IS SCARY.

I think to many people lack enough imagination and common sense to look out the window, and see what's out there. South Side has always been the immigrant section of town. The Germans, Irish, Polish, South American. The EUROPEAN & Eastern Europeans forced their children to adapt to this country. That is not the case anymore.

Dramatic is the key word in your sentence. This is happening in a less dramatic way. Tax payers like you are comfortable with your money going to satisfy issues that the money was not intended. I am concerned for many reasons. My ATTITUDE is that I live here. I pay taxes. I vote. I pay for HEALTH INSURANCE. This city is suffocating in debt. This city is suffocating itself with taxes. YOU BETCHA. I HAVE AN ATTITUDE.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINOLOGY View Post
Yes, I pretty much just shared one. I asked the police, since you admittedly, cannot do anything further, can I be prosecuted if I investigate, and get the guilty party to identify the driver. The Police Sargent said go ahead. So I did, and received satisfaction myself.
Your little story is just that without names. Just because you call it a fact does not indeed make it a fact. Dan makes that mistake all the time too, so it's not just you...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
We have a really big problem in this country with illegal aliens. Our tax dollars are being wasted on illegals and we're the ones suffering. They're bleeding our economic system dry and they don't care either. They're just here to collect money and send it back to their own country. If they cared, they would adapt to our culture and language. This is not the case with most of the illegals. Something must be done soon.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hi Metro! Thanks for stopping by to pay us a visit! (Thanks also for living in a state that voted for Obama over Hillary, but I'll leave that for another discussion! LOL!)

Yes, we do have a very, very busy sub-forum. I still remember when I petitioned for its creation in mid-2007 and there were a lot of people "leery" that our region needed to have one. Now I can do this to them!

We still don't put a dent into the amount of traffic the NC forum receives though. I don't think I'll ever understand why NC has become the next FL in terms of being a real estate hot spot---I can think of so many other areas I'd rather live than Raleigh (like...errm....SCRANTON!)
"You need to have the volume to justify creating a new sub-forum first. I don't see one Iowa city in particular receving enough "love" to warrant its own sub-forum, although I suppose a Des Moines one couldn't be so far-fetched. I can't believe someone suggested an Iowa City sub-forum. At that rate let's just make one for Keokuk too! LOL! If you want sub-forums, then start kicking your fellow Iowans in the pants and get them yapping! "

Well maybe the IA forum will become the busiest and I will be able to send the right back to you!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Your little story is just that without names. Just because you call it a fact does not indeed make it a fact. Dan makes that mistake all the time too, so it's not just you...
So what fact are you calling into question, and what about the content?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 AM

You accuse police officers of dropping investigations, and you claim to have cited a specific example, but you never mention dates, times, officers involved, who you contacted at the state police to investigate this claim, etc...

It was charming little story, though.

What content? There was content? Looked pretty empty to me, without names and dates.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
You accuse police officers of dropping investigations, and you claim to have cited a specific example, but you never mention dates, times, officers involved, who you contacted at the state police to investigate this claim, etc...

It was charming little story, though.

What content? There was content? Looked pretty empty to me, without names and dates.
SHALLOW LENGTHEN TO 10 CHARACTERS

Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Coming from a guy who posted what amounts to an unsubstantiated rumor...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Coming from a guy who posted what amounts to an unsubstantiated rumor...

DITO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania