Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am trying to find an affordable area in the Poconos. I live in NYC and I'm looking for a weekend escape that I can use all year. The area is perfect because my family is in the DC area so they can come up and join me on weekends. I'm also excited to bike/swim/be outdoors in the summer and snowboard in the winter. I was originally drawn to the various lake communities because I am single I wanted the amenities and the community that come with them. However, I'm very worried about potential problems with HOA boards and don't want to get stuck in a bad situation.

I think the best thing to do would be to get a home not attached to any community and then see if there are any community centers, etc. I can join separately. Do any exist? Or, can I pay the dues without actually living in a lake community? I really like the sound of Hemlock Farms, but I don't know if I would want to live there. I like that Hemlock farms has a church and one of them had a woodworking club (maybe that was the Hideout).

Piggy back questions
1) I'm a single, black, female who is allllmost 30. Will I feel out of place? Is it mostly families / retirees around here?
2) Are there any areas with cute, walkable downtowns? When I am with my family they will have a car, but since I live in NYC I don't have one. I'd like to avoid a rental and get by with uber if possible when I am there alone.
3) Which areas are easiest to get to by bus?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I've only been to the poconos a few times and it was always for snowboarding so I don't know that area well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Milford in Pike County is a great town but not cheap (at least by Pocono standards).

A nice community is Masthope. It has an outdoor pool, lake, ski slope (Big Bear), and clubhouse with restaurant, plus a food market, among other things. You would hardly be the only black person there; most of the homeowners are NYC/NJ/Philadelphia-area people. Prices for a decent-sized home are reasonable (<$200k). Milford is about 20-25 minutes away, Lake Wallenpaupak about the same. There are stores (WalMart, etc.) in Hawley and/or Honesdale, about 20 minutes away, and Matamoras, about 1/2 hour away. There are a few shops/restaurants in the town of Lackawaxen, plus access to the Delaware River. The problem is you would be dealing with a HOA.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,348 times
I've never been able hail an Uber in the Poconos.

I also don't think that Uber would want to operate in the Poconos either, because of the geographical grid. Those shiny black cars would get dirty really quickly with all the unpaved gravel and dirt roads in the lake communities.

Keep in mind that lake communities are for the most part cut off from civilization. You would still need a motor vehicle to do grocery shopping, run errands etc.

Also, the cost of living once you factor in property taxes is about equal to Queens or Brooklyn, give or take. The Poconos was fairly cheap 15 years ago, but times have changed. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices of the foreclosed homes. There are many hidden costs attached to the cheap real estate in the Poconos.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Try this website....I used it for my trip to Florida in 2014 (I hadn't been there since I graduated from Navy boot camp in '78) and got a good deal on a home in Orlando.....

www.vrbo.com

just put in the area you're looking into and you'll find something....

Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromnyc004 View Post
Piggy back questions
1) I'm a single, black, female who is allllmost 30. Will I feel out of place? Is it mostly families / retirees around here?
2) Are there any areas with cute, walkable downtowns? When I am with my family they will have a car, but since I live in NYC I don't have one. I'd like to avoid a rental and get by with uber if possible when I am there alone.
3) Which areas are easiest to get to by bus?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I've only been to the poconos a few times and it was always for snowboarding so I don't know that area well. Thanks in advance!
1) I'm a single, black, female who is allllmost 30. Will I feel out of place? Is it mostly families / retirees around here? = no....you wouldn't be the first....retiree's?? yes...lot's of them....

2) Are there any areas with cute, walkable downtowns? When I am with my family they will have a car, but since I live in NYC I don't have one. I'd like to avoid a rental and get by with uber if possible when I am there alone. = UBER out here....never heard of it (it's known, just being sarcastic, but it's a city thing) not something your gonna find out here....and with all the woods out here and being single would you really trust taking a private ride at night with someone you don't know.....

3) Which areas are easiest to get to by bus? = Local bus or by bus from the city?? You need to be a little more specific in this part....Martz comes into Stroudsburg, E. Stroudsburg, Brodheadsville, and Mt. Pocono from NYC....Trans-Bridge serves the southern part of NEPA like Easton, Phillipsburg, Bethlehem, etc.,

Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
The idea of a week-end escape may be appealing but the reality is that when you're not there, as in being in The City at your job, the country house will still be there and will still require maintenance, and will still require insurance, and will still have a tax bill, and in the Winter, will still require heat and someone will need to plow out the property so you can get in. While all these items require checks written every month, and you're paying a mortgage for this cute little escape, wherever you live in The City will still have its own set of expenses. Of course, you may be independently wealthy and none of this will apply, but still...

I have a feeling Mathjak will be along in a bit and tell you about what can go wrong when you're two hours away and something needs your immediate attention. As for me, I think I'd find a nice resort and book my weekend retreats in a place where you pay as you go.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Most of the bargain homes are in lake communities. There are lake communities that have 24 hour security (like Hemlock Farms) but most don't. A car is a necessity for most all areas. The only exception is the bus from NYC stopping at Lords Valley near the entrance to Hemlock Farms. See link below for schedule.

http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss...d=204785754463

Last edited by Wells5; 07-14-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 47,962 times
Is the bargain really in the lake community? I took a look at hemlock farm and it seems like it was more for retirees. Most realtor I spoke with suggest lake Naomi to be to "top notch" in terms of amenities in poconos for families with young kids. Once all the cost gets factored in, the carrying cost are near 15K a year without any major maintenance.

Fees Approx Cost
Tax 4000
HOA dues 700
Annual Insurance 1500
Internet Cost 1000
Lake Naomi Club dues 3300
Electric 3000
Misc 2000

Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMLM View Post
Is the bargain really in the lake community? I took a look at hemlock farm and it seems like it was more for retirees. Most realtor I spoke with suggest lake Naomi to be to "top notch" in terms of amenities in poconos for families with young kids. Once all the cost gets factored in, the carrying cost are near 15K a year without any major maintenance.

Fees Approx Cost
Tax 4000
HOA dues 700
Annual Insurance 1500
Internet Cost 1000
Lake Naomi Club dues 3300
Electric 3000
Misc 2000
Not all are that expensive. My HOA is $400 a year and no other associated fees.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

26 posts, read 47,962 times
I look at the HOA and Club dues proportional to what you get. 3300 for a 4/5 member family isn't bad for a full year given the amenities it provides. I put that estimate together so I can get a real estimate on what it costs to maintain a vacation home besides the mortgage. I myself was certainly surprised by the total cost of it (at about $1300 a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania