Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,825 times

Advertisements

Someone who has been looking at homes in a particular area for a while will notice that the home is not a new listing.In this market,people dont usually look for a week and then buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,051 times
Just chiming in here to add my 2 cents-
I introduced myself back in July when I moved to the Honesdale area from St. Louis, MO, but I haven't posted since- just lurked (sorry!)
I have been looking to buy a house since I moved here, and I must say how disappointed I am! There just doesn't seem to be much to choose from, and the houses that are going on the market seem very pricey to me. I was just hoping to get a really good deal since it's a buyers market, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
I guess part of the problem is that my husband and I are being really picky about what we want (my husband HATES moving, and our last move was a biggie, so he says this is it- our last house). We have 2 sons, 10 and 3- the 10-year old just loves his new school, so I wouldn't think of moving him again, so we want to stay in the same district (Wayne Highlands). Also, I just LOVE Honesdale, and I work here, so I don't want to move too far away. Right now we live in Prompton, which is very nice, but I have to be careful, because half of Prompton is in another school district. So I'd pretty much like to be within 5-10 miles of Honesdale, but not in town, we want some acreage, having just moved from the 'burbs. Ideally, I'd love to buy an old farmhouse- not a total rehab, but we wouldn't mind having to do some work, especially if it would get the price lower- we'd like to stay under $150,000.
I think I'm just too impatient- I know something will come up eventually, it's just that I'm sick of renting- we put alot of our stuff in storage, and I'm sick of not having anything, plus where we are is quite small and cramped, and our stuff clutters it up! I know- wah!wah! There are worse things, and at least we are renting month to month, so we are not tied down when we do find something. I think this long winter is getting to me- I love the snow, but in St. Louis, the winters were not this long and cold.
But anyway- to get back on the subject- I have noticed that many houses seem to jump from realtor to realtor, or go on the market, then off, then on again. I'm constantly scanning the internet, and I see many different sites. It's funny how some houses sell right away, and others seem to stay forever.....
Please- someone cheer me up and tell me I will find something soon. And my heart goes out to those who have been trying to sell in vain- I know that is a much worse position to be in, and I hope you sell soon!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Mom,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you are looking for. The $150,000 range is tough for what you are looking for, but I am sure you find it....and the best of luck to you. Renting is tough and stressful. Don't settle for anything less than what you want, and when you find the right match you will know it. Yes, "us" sellers can get pretty crabby around this time of year, especially when the weather interferes with our prospective buyers. But hey, things could be worse and when the time is right, magic happens.
Hat

Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM

26 posts, read 101,363 times
This is just one more thing that makes real estate agents look bad.

What is interesting is that they are bringing it on themselves. Instead of trying to clean up their reputation, they are making it worse with tactics like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania