Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times

Advertisements

Just some questions...since the crowd concerned me and kept me home instead of attending. Do you think the High School Gym was the best venue for this? How was traffic, getting in and out ? Crowd control,seating capacity etc.
Off course if anyone's has any political comments that would be cool as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
I didn't go, but I watched her speech on WNEP. If it wasn't for her pro-abortion views, I would probably vote for her. I liked most of what she had to say. Although I'm suspicious that she chose to surround herself with the likes of Chris Doherty and Ed Rendell. The reason I say this is that Doherty and Rendell both have strong anti-labor union records...Rendell fought with unions in Philadelphia and state employee unions. And Doherty's anti-union stance is obvious with his dealings with Scranton unions. She would be wise to avoid Doherty and Rendell seeing that labor unions are a strong voting bloc for Democrats, and being seen with those union busters may drive some unions to back Obama.

But otherwise, like I said, I liked most of what she had to say. But, on principle, I can't vote for a pro-abortion candidate.

I think the high school was probably the setting they were looking for, since a high school gym kind of gives a "down home" small town atmosphere, as opposed to the arena or stadium.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I didn't go, but I watched her speech on WNEP. If it wasn't for her pro-abortion views, I would probably vote for her. I liked most of what she had to say. Although I'm suspicious that she chose to surround herself with the likes of Chris Doherty and Ed Rendell. The reason I say this is that Doherty and Rendell both have strong anti-labor union records...Rendell fought with unions in Philadelphia and state employee unions. And Doherty's anti-union stance is obvious with his dealings with Scranton unions. She would be wise to avoid Doherty and Rendell seeing that labor unions are a strong voting bloc for Democrats, and being seen with those union busters may drive some unions to back Obama.

But otherwise, like I said, I liked most of what she had to say. But, on principle, I can't vote for a pro-abortion candidate.
Thanks...I must admit I did not watch it...I did not know it was even on ( limiting TV time is the house since son said "TV IS MY LIFE"). Also,the info about Gov. Rendell and Mayor Doherty...that truly gives me pause as well.

Although they could of been there for 1-they are boths dems are they not?
2-Doherty is the mayor of the city that hosted the event. And 3 the all important photo op to further careers and egos.

I respect your opinion on Senator Clinton, but as a former New Yorker that requested assitance for some VET issues and children's ins. issues, I am not ashamed to say she will get my vote. I finally changed my driver lic. and re-registered just to be afforded the opportunity to vote in the primary.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
I don't feel that the US needs another Clinton presidency as it won't serve to unite or better our country. She appears to be just another politician making promises that she can't keep from the small amount of her speech that I saw.

I also found the "Welcome Home" signs hilarious. HC may have visited here on occasion, but Scranton is not and never has been her home. That would be like visiting your aunt for a week in Florida and then stating that you were raised in Florida. Then again, what good are politicians if they don't find ways to twist the truth and try to make people feel that they are "just like you".

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I don't feel that the US needs another Clinton presidency as it won't serve to unite or better our country. She appears to be just another politician making promises that she can't keep from the small amount of her speech that I saw.

I also found the "Welcome Home" signs hilarious. HC may have visited here on occasion, but Scranton is not and never has been her home. That would be like visiting your aunt for a week in Florida and then stating that you were raised in Florida. Then again, what good are politicians if they don't find ways to twist the truth and try to make people feel that they are "just like you".

She was christened here as a child, and her father did grow up here and is buried here. The family maintains a home at Lake Winola. She does have a connection to this area.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
I'm afraid to say in my opinion, if this woman is elected we're doomed. She will make our current situation in this country worse, not better. Like greentown said, we do not need another Clinton presidency. One was quite enough. She does not have more experience than Obama and just because she was First Lady does not make her anymore qualified. Being a First Lady is not a political office. For that matter than, would Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan or Laura Bush make good presidents, I don't think so. She comes off as a loudmouth who can't promise anything to me.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM

43 posts, read 112,416 times
Default clinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!! I think when chris Dougherty called her "our gal" or something like that he was out of line. I just do not trust her completly. Its werid how all of sudden she is all over this area. personally she is not getting my vote. I am very much into politics and would like to see change.. so yes I am totally 100% for Barack Obama! He will be getting my vote

Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
She comes off as a loudmouth who can't promise anything to me.
Are we talking about Janet Evans or Hillary Clinton here?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:33 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I've now grown uncertain about whom I will vote for in April. For the longest time I was an ardent supporter of Barack Obama, but now I'm hedging more towards Hillary Clinton. My rationale? I see an uncanny parallel between Barack Obama's campaign for president in 2008 and Christopher Doherty's campaign for Scranton mayor in 2001. Both were intelligent looking, well-educated folks who used the power of their words and their words alone to sway people to their causes, even though they truly had very little of "substance" to offer within their speeches. Both used buzz words like "hope", "change", "brighter tomorrow," etc. Mayor Doherty was a good mayor for perhaps his first year, but then he fell off track like a train wreck to the point where he has BITTERLY polarized Scranton. I worry that Barack Obama may do the same on a much grander scale once the euphoria of his campaign wears off and it becomes apparent that his lack of professional experience will harm our country moreso than benefit it. At the same time I don't truly "like" Hillary Clinton's plans for immediate withdrawal from Iraq or her plans to force socialized health insurance upon everyone WITHOUT satisfying me as to where she would receive the money besides enacting new taxes.

Finally, I could never bring myself to vote for a Republican in this election after seeing how President Bush has diminished my own family's quality-of-life ever since he took office. I was aghast to see John McCain graciously accepting President Bush's endorsement last week when I would have said "Thanks, but no thanks." If people fear that McCain is too "chummy" with Bush, then a Democrat will be a shoo-in into the White House this November.

Hillary or Obama? I'm still undecided.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM

I think national health care could easily be paid for by getting out of Iraq. The money we've wasted over there could probably pay for worldwide health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania