Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR SHARING YOU PICS...I loved the comments...to funny~ thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
Paul...
Hate to break it to ya but you were way off on that Thunderbird..... hubby is a mechanic...and even though that car is a bit old....it's a Pontiac Catalina....

Awesome pics...I loved your captions...

Denise
Thanks for the clarification. I swear there was a Thunderbird somewhere along in that pack, but I must have mistakenly snapped a photo of the Catalina instead. Drats!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Thanks for the pictures Paul...

This was our first St. Pats parade, and overall we had a very positive experience.

Got into town around 9:45 and got a good parking spot in the Mall parking garage. Grabbed breakfast downtown, and only waited about 15 minutes for a table. Walked the mall for a bit afterwards, and went out onto the parade route at around 11:15. We got a spot right at the turn by the Steamtown Mall, and for the most part, my kids were able to see much of the parade. People were very cordial, letting the younger ones in front so they had a good view. Great banter in the crowd - we laughed a lot!

The only negative of the whole day was (and please, no flames, I'm not getting political here), there were a group of four ladies holding a huge "Hillary for President" sign to the right of where we were standing. No problem with it, but every time someone stopped in front of them, one of the women, and her daughter screamed at them (and believe me, they screamed!) to "move along, not here!" and used their thumbs to direct them away from them and their precious sign.

Many people were milling around and were (politely) moving back and forth through where we were. But these women were downright rude to the people around them.
When Hillary was spotted, the Obama supporters walked right in front of the crowd there with their huge sign! We asked them to move back because no one could see. They did, but weren't happy.

*sigh*

I wish that politics didn't play such a role in the parade this year. So many people left after Hillary came by, a significantly less amount of people saw any marchers after that. Made me feel bad for those that came after.

But, overall, we had a great time. We'll be there next year!
I'm happy to hear that overall you had a positive experience. I myself am very politically vocal and active (surprise, surprise), so I wasn't "irked" as much by the aggressive Hillary Clinton supporters practically peeing their pants when she approached, but I could very easily see how those who are not enamored with the candidate would resent her for "stealing the thunder" of the parade. As I said my friend Meg and I, who are not Obama supporters, actually posed as his supporters just to ruffle feathers. LOL! We got a lot of dirty glares, mostly from overweight middle-aged women, and a few "Obama!!!" shrieks from floozie-looking college chicks when people saw our signs and stickers.

You'll have a much more enjoyable time next year when the crowd is a bit more sparse, and the focus goes back to the celebration of Irish-American heritage and St. Patrick as opposed to St. Hillary. LOL! Come to think of it, we pulled into the Steamtown garage right around 9:45 AM as well (I drive an older gold car), so we might have just missed each other, just as it sounds as if MrKrabs was standing with his son very near to both of us as well near the mall. Small world, heyna?

The Hillary supporters just to the left of us were rather obnoxious as well. They had a Hillary campaign sign stuck into the grating in front of a tree near the mall, and they gave us the dirtiest glares imaginable when we moved in front of the sign to permit parents with small children to get alongside of us or in front of us. Are all of Hillary's supporters this rabid?!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR SHARING YOU PICS...I loved the comments...to funny~ thanks again!!!
Thank you for checking out the pics. If I'm not working I hope to snap photos of the upcoming Armed Services Parade in the city as well.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
very nice photo shoot Dwight! Lots of nice pictures.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
The parade was nice, but there are still many problems in Scranton. One of them is Doherty himself. For a guy who talks about a thriving downtown, I saw an awful lot of empty store fronts. The only time the downtown gets any foot traffic is during events like the parade of "The Office" convention. During the week after working hours, it's like a ghost town there. It's just that he has mismanaged the city finances so much, there is really nothing to show for it, in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
We left before Hillary came by, and seeing the madhouse that was around her in Paul's puctures, I'm glad we did.

Personally, I can't wait for election season to end. I'm sick of the political crap already and we still have almost 8 months to go before election day.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The parade was nice, but there are still many problems in Scranton. One of them is Doherty himself. For a guy who talks about a thriving downtown, I saw an awful lot of empty store fronts. The only time the downtown gets any foot traffic is during events like the parade of "The Office" convention. During the week after working hours, it's like a ghost town there. It's just that he has mismanaged the city finances so much, there is really nothing to show for it, in my opinion.
The condition of the roads were pitiful, and Doherty should be ashamed. The potholes at the corner of Lackawanna and Wyoming were huge, and I'm surprised that someone didn't twist their ankle in them. It would have been funny if Doherty himself tripped on a pothole, or Fast Eddie Rendell or Hillary.

There was only one politician in that parade that I like and cheered for....Lou Barletta. The rest of them got a booo and a thumbs down from me.

I was more excited to see the Phillie Phanatic than I was Hillary, etc.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 AM

21 posts, read 59,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
The condition of the roads were pitiful, and Doherty should be ashamed. The potholes at the corner of Lackawanna and Wyoming were huge, and I'm surprised that someone didn't twist their ankle in them. It would have been funny if Doherty himself tripped on a pothole, or Fast Eddie Rendell or Hillary.

There was only one politician in that parade that I like and cheered for....Lou Barletta. The rest of them got a booo and a thumbs down from me.

I was more excited to see the Phillie Phanatic than I was Hillary, etc.
Scotty, how do you suggest fixing those potholes in march when the temp is constantly fluctuating? I personally am sick of hearing the negative doomers preach how bad this city is, and having them put down every great event this city hosts. I frequently lurk this forum and cant believe how many times a handful of posters have to post off topic remarks relating to the mayor. We all know where you stand, please move on.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraz1187 View Post
I frequently lurk this forum and cant believe how many times a handful of posters have to post off topic remarks relating to the mayor. We all know where you stand, please move on.
What's even more pathetic is you people who get so riled up because <gasp!> some people don't like the mayor and what he's doing to this city. You people get all bent out of shape whenever someone "blasphemes" St. Chris of Green Ridge.
People like you need to get lives and stop stalking people online who don't like the mayor. We all know where you stand, so please move on. I, at least contribute to this forum in topics other than Scranton politics. You people just show up to jump all over someone who has a negative opinion of the mayor. You people are like seagulls....swoop in, make a lot of noise, crap all over the forum, and then leave. Get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania