Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 06:00 PM

67 posts, read 132,595 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the reviews on the Scranton Geisinger hospital. The reviews are terrible. We were thinking of moving to the area, but as seniors we need good medical care. Can anyone give personal comments on this hospital.
My cousin who lives in C'Dale had to go to Philly for medical care, as good medical care was not available, in Scranton for her knee problems. She had knee replacements twice in Scranton, and the hospital, (Rockmere or something like that) in Philly told her that she needs a total new knee replacement as it was not done correctly by the Scranton doctor. Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Geisinger has been in the news lately due to premature infant deaths at their Danville campus. Geisinger has grown very large and IMO, it's not as good as I remember from 40 years ago when it was the only facility that offered advanced treatment. There was a different breed of doctor at that time.

But regardless it is the best in NEPA.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 AM

148 posts, read 265,614 times
Geisinger is a VERY GOOD hospital!

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
There's also Commonwealth Health. It's important to choose your doctor when planning a major surgical procedure. You can read all about them online these days.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I have been reading the reviews on the Scranton Geisinger hospital. The reviews are terrible.
When you just say "Geisinger" most people think of the main hospital in Danville. At least, I do.

I don't know about any of their outlying hospitals but the one in Danville is top-notch and attracts top doctors from around the world.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Geisinger is still the best in the area, I only go to their doctors and try to stay in their network. Their facilities are state of the art and what happened recently was a bad misstep for them but they are still my choice.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Me and my late wife loved Geisinger; both the hospital in Danville and the one in WB. They treated us great and we had no complaints - other than the healthy food they fed us. The main complex in Danville had one of only five surgeons in our State that was certified to treat my wife. Years ago, when I got a fishhook in my eye; Pocono hospital placed a patch over my eye so I would not make their patients sick and they sent me out to Geisinger in Danville - I did not loose my sight thanks to them.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:15 PM

67 posts, read 132,595 times
I mean the hospital in Scranton, PA

Old 10-12-2019, 08:25 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I mean the hospital in Scranton, PA
There is a Geisinger Community Medical center in Scranton: https://www.geisinger.org/patient-care/find-a-location. To the people I talk to in Monroe County most go to the WB Geisinger location or all the way out to Danville.

I have not bumped into people that had problems. But it could just be one doctor or complications. I did find this rating system for PA hospitals and that Scranton branch only had a two star rating: https://patch.com/pennsylvania/newto...-hospital-rate. That said; the best hospitals all look like they are on the eastern side of PA. Geisinger Danville had a four star rating and Geisinger WB had a three star rating.

Some of these hospital systems are very large. There are always going to be some doctors/surgeons that do a great job and some that do not. Plus your sister could have had unforeseen complications. But when I look at the locations of the four and five star hospitals; I don't think you could go too wrong with anyplace in eastern PA. Just do your homework when you choose a particular doctor.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
In Monroe county St. Luke's has been taking over and is a very good hospital....I only wish they had taken over Pocono Medical Center but Lehigh Valley Health Network got to it before they did....St. Luke's is way much better than any other hospital network in my opinion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania