Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,887 times

Advertisements

Help! My parents' 70th wedding anniversary is in two weeks. They were married at Moorhead UMC in Brockway in 1938. If you have a picture of the church, could you please let me know immediately?

Running out of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 AM

353 posts, read 825,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdn1 View Post
Help! My parents' 70th wedding anniversary is in two weeks. They were married at Moorhead UMC in Brockway in 1938. If you have a picture of the church, could you please let me know immediately?

Running out of time...
Well, first, it might help if you knew where Brockway is. It's not in the Northeastern part of the state. It's in the Northwestern part of the state... don't worry, the only reason I know it even exists is because I am from the area.

Second, how soon do you need it?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
Well, first, it might help if you knew where Brockway is. It's not in the Northeastern part of the state. It's in the Northwestern part of the state... don't worry, the only reason I know it even exists is because I am from the area.

Second, how soon do you need it?
I found one picture for you

http://www.indianadistrictumc.org/church%20images/Brockway.jpg (broken link)

If that's not satisfactory, I could keep looking, or if you can wait about 10 days, I can take one, since I am headed back that way anyway, and I can post it for you. I personally don't mind going to Brockway at all. They have a really cool soda fountain at the Sheetz there.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:14 AM

Ha... and all this talk about churches in Brockway remind me of "The Jesus Dome", aka St. Tobias Roman Catholic Church. Not that this means anything to you, but when I went to school, we used to have masses there for special occasions, since it was the only church that could hold the whole school. Hence the nick name, as it was rather large for a church in that area. The other interest there was "Msr. God" aka Msr. Heberlein, so nicknamed because, not only did he have a loud, booming "Godlike voice", and he had so much pull in rallying the locals and ministers (of other faiths) for pretty much whatever moral cause he wanted... for instance, he successfully kept MTV out of Brockway until he retired... for 23 years. His word was final. Like God's.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM

The picture seems great. I don't know how it will reproduce because I haven't tried yet, but I am so grateful to you to have this much. I am putting together a video of my parents' life together, and that is the church they were married in. This is so cool! Thank you so very much!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:43 PM

If you happen to be in Brockway and can snag a picture I would also be grateful. In case this one doesn't work for the final video, I'd have another to work with. But don't go to any trouble. If you're there and the opportunity presents...I'd be grateful.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM

Oh, and the date of the anniversary party is June 21.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I can't help you since I live quite a long haul away, but I just wanted to let you know that you are doing a very touching, admirable, compassionate thing for your parents by helping to rekindle such cherished memories for them. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but if this is their 70th wedding anniversary then I can assume that your parents are both around 90. At some point soon their long-term memory will start to vanish, so it's wonderful that you're doing this for them now while they can still comprehend and enjoy it. I can only hope my own future children would be caring and Internet-savvy enough to do something like this for me!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Is there a library with old records you could search near there? Maybe the church itself has some old photos. very nice sentiment, though.

For my parent's 25th anniversary, I re-created their wedding cake from their wedding photo. They really loved it, and smooshed cake in each other's faces just like their wedding day. It's a memory I'll cherish. I keep meaning to frame the two photos side by side for them, and I think I will, for this upcoming anniversary.

Good Luck OP

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdn1 View Post

Running out of time...
Your best bet would be to call that church. I'm sure they would help you out and send you a picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania