Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM

154 posts, read 407,693 times

Advertisements

Hi. My kid's taking the road test in a couple of weeks. I've been teaching her. She's pretty good on the road, but I'm wondering if the police are testing in parallel parking these days, and what else I should prepare her for...really want her to pass on the first try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Half an answer since no one else has posed yet. I would guess that she'll have to parallel park. At the dawn of time I had to, 7-8 years ago in W-B nephew had to, this year, different area, son had to park.

During the test my son was told to pull over to the right and come to a stop. OK, now execute a three point turn. It seems that he turned around alright but didn't signal when he started moving again.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I took the road test at the Hanover Township PennDOT facility in Luzerne County back in 2003, so what I say should still be somewhat spot-on. The very first thing your daughter will have to do is be instructed while in park to activate your turn signals, flash your high beams, hit your horn, tap your brakelights, etc. so that your instructor can be sure ahead of time that you know how to properly use your vehicle's controls. Then she'll be instructed to pull forward and come around a corner to a parallel parking area. Even though the parameters are somewhat generous, if you're as clumsy as I am you'll end up bumping the curb (and failing twice!!!) LOL!

From there it's out on the open road, and I'm pretty sure you will take a left out of the parking lot and head through the adjacent industrial park. Eventually you'll loop around, and the tricky part will be turning LEFT onto the busy O'Neill Highway. At the time when I was in drivers' ed in high school there was no traffic signal here, and with rush-hour traffic it was a real pain in the derrière to turn left safely. There might be a signal there now though, as I haven't been to that part of Dunmore (near the Throop line) in quite some time.

Most of all, make sure that your daughter keeps a keen eye on her speedometer. I believe the speed limit was only 25 miles per hour in the part of the Hanover Industrial Park near to the PennDOT center, and they'll snag you very firmly if you exceed that. With heavier traffic around it will be tempting to "go with the flow" in order to not hold up everyone and do 35 or 40 (as I did), but then you'll fail (as I did) for that very same reason! LOL! I'm sure the speed limits near the Dunmore center are probably ludicrously low as well.

Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:25 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,213 times
My daughter took her test in Honesdale this past winter and they have two metal poles that that you have to parallel park in between. They only test there on Tuesdays and you are free to go after hours and practice the course before taking the test. On the day my daughter was there, one guy failed because he pulled out onto roadway (Rt. 191) when there was a car coming, even though it was quite far away. This might be something your daughter should keep in mind when she takes her test,

I took my test many years ago at Dunmore and the parallel parking involved two cones set up near a curb. Sorry, but I don't remember much else about it.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Both my daughters took their test out of Honesdale and both most certainly had to parallel park.
Since Dunmore probably trsts everyday and they are quite busy there, I doubt you can practice there.
Greentown...my daughters friend took his test at Honesdale last winter...sounds like the guy you are talking about! He pulled out but didn't feel he was cutting anyone off...he failed. I guess when cars are coming at 55 mph, they could catch up to you pretty quick.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:48 AM

173 posts, read 582,367 times
The tests are conducted by Penndot, so i'm pretty sure its the same test anywhere you take it in PA. That being said, 8 years ago when i got mine i had to parallel park. You have to do a 3 point turn around. Remember to use all blinkers anytime you are turning. Remember the blinker to turn into parallel park and to turn out of the parallel park. take it slow.... but not to slow. you want to go the speed limit. Not above, not below. Too slow and you fail.... to fast and you fail. Remember to look one way. look the other way.. then look the other way again before pulling out.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,539 times
I got my license about ten years ago and I actually did not have to parallel park, but I think it was just dumb luck, because I remember all of my friends having to do it. I also never had to do a 3-point turn, and I remember the lady being really sweet. It is such a nerve wracking thing to do, and I'm sure many qualified drivers fail it due to nerves, but of course driving is a big responsibility, so it's important to prove one is ready.

I honestly can't remember where I took the test. Is Dunmore the logical place if you are from Pittston? Is there someplace to do it around Dallas? I feel like I went somewhere toward Dallas, but it could've been Dunmore...I have a very vivid memory of the nice lady telling me I had passed of course!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
Remember the blinker
Sadly 90% of motorists today in NEPA do not! LOL! My horn gets quite the work out everyday.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I got my license about ten years ago and I actually did not have to parallel park, but I think it was just dumb luck, because I remember all of my friends having to do it. I also never had to do a 3-point turn, and I remember the lady being really sweet. It is such a nerve wracking thing to do, and I'm sure many qualified drivers fail it due to nerves, but of course driving is a big responsibility, so it's important to prove one is ready.

I honestly can't remember where I took the test. Is Dunmore the logical place if you are from Pittston? Is there someplace to do it around Dallas? I feel like I went somewhere toward Dallas, but it could've been Dunmore...I have a very vivid memory of the nice lady telling me I had passed of course!
Well I'm from Pittston and took the test in Hanover Township (south side of Wilkes-Barre), but most from Pittston take the test in Dunmore, as that's where our drivers' ed teacher takes us. It's also probably closer---I can get to Dunmore from Pittston in only about 15 minutes.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Sadly 90% of motorists today in NEPA do not! LOL! My horn gets quite the work out everyday.
Some people 'underuse' their blinker....some people 'overuse' their horn

Just joking Paul....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania