Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 AM

41 posts, read 239,844 times

Advertisements

I was reading some of the beginning posts on this thread and wondered why americans label themselves so much. I'm gay but it's only a small part of my life. I have no desire to get married to my boyfriend but I don't think others should be denied the right too. Scran-Barre is very lucky he is growing up gay in the later part of this decade. I came out in the late 80s-early 90s and I remember being harrassed outside bars and kicked out of restaurants because my friend was effeminate. I feel this country has become much more open to minorities of all kinds in america. maybe there will be a time in America when we won't have to fight for basic rights and have to label each other. maybe we could all just be called Americans.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,402,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnurseguy View Post
I was reading some of the beginning posts on this thread and wondered why americans label themselves so much. I'm gay but it's only a small part of my life. I have no desire to get married to my boyfriend but I don't think others should be denied the right too. Scran-Barre is very lucky he is growing up gay in the later part of this decade. I came out in the late 80s-early 90s and I remember being harrassed outside bars and kicked out of restaurants because my friend was effeminate. I feel this country has become much more open to minorities of all kinds in america. maybe there will be a time in America when we won't have to fight for basic rights and have to label each other. maybe we could all just be called Americans.
I too am tired of the labels or the hypen Americans. We are all just Americans and there is not a dang thing wrong with that! Of course I'm one of those rebellious types that on questions of race will choose 'other' and write in 'human'.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why is thread exclusively about me advertising the fact that I'm a flaming homosexual and the ensuing nitpicking/defending/squabbling from all directions when I never even mentioned it within this thread? The only reference I came close to was when I said very early on in the thread while still angry with John From Scranton (paraphrasing) "I'd rather get a rep point for telling someone on the Politics forum that marriage is not a right for ANYONE, but rather it is a privilege, much like driving (even for heterosexuals)." That's it. THAT is what sparked this whole controversy? It's TRUE! Show me where in the U.S. Constitution where it says you have the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and MARRIAGE! I'm not going to get any more philosophical than that, but I find it specious that so many heterosexuals claim that it is their "right" to get married. No, it's not! Show me the Federal amendment guaranteeing your "right" to wed. Didn't you all go to sixth grade civics class to learn all about the U.S. Constitution?

With that political vignette out of the way, I'm really curious here. People know I'm of an alternative sexual orientation. I make jabs at myself and may even throw in a gay joke or two now and then to ease the tension in our forum's inevitably frequent brou-ha-has. So what? I know mathjak107 is Jewish, drives a luxury vehicle, and is an excellently gifted photographer. I know I LOVE PA lost someone with whom she was very close, and it caused her to temporarily leave our forum. I also know that her daughter went to school with my ex-boyfriend. I know what poconosmama's home and husband look like from her Facebook. I know NYRangers2008's AIM profile and that he's had an ex-girlfriend who resided in the Newfoundland/South Sterling area. I also know what street he lives on in the Electric City. I know that weluvpa thinks he knows who CHS89 and to570717 truly are, even though their true identities (and alleged political connections) are still a mystery to us all. I also know how much he pays in property taxes due to online research. I've met about a dozen of you in person. I know DavidWebb's real first name, as well as what vehicle he drives, and how lovely his wife is. Coartist88's daughter and I go to school together, and we all know that he is a retired law enforcement officer from Staten Island who is sitting up in "The Summit" being suaver than suave. I know that go phillies drives a Corolla, is an ex-smoker who now hates being around smoke, is Roman Catholic, works in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, and is the solid "middle-ground" between weluvpa, who rains on the parade of any progress in the city, and myself, who exalts the city onto too high of a pedestal sometimes. I know what EnyaGirl paid for her home, and I also know that she's a fellow fan of Coldplay and Enya. Her husband is JLStorm, who no longer posts here. I know that Summering...likes...to....use....the dots....a...lot (but she's still awesome in my book!)

Shall I continue?

What I'm trying to convey to you is that after months (or in some of our cases years) of posting to one another on a daily basis, we DO become one big dysfunctional family of sorts. I'm sure people could likewise rattle off qualities of my own that I've shared with you all (I like to run, am an aspiring CPA, detest sprawl, drive a Ford, have a big, fat Italian yap, don't like smoking, love Long Island Iced Teas, love to fight with weluvpa, and yes, I am gay---well whoop-dey-doo! Stop the presses!) Why should that even matter? About a half-dozen "regulars" on here are of an alternative sexual orientation. I'm not going to list them since I respect their privacy and will let them share that on their own accord if they so choose. My question is that if I know so much about you, and you all know so much about me, then why is on occasion hearing about my personal life so damn vile? It's not like I'm taking pictures of me stripping and pole-dancing at the Hardware Bar or anything. LOL! Not comfortable around people of alternative lifestyles? Well good luck finding an area where we cease to exist. We're everywhere, and no, we don't wear a big pink triangle for easier identification, nor do we all have effeminate qualities. On the contrary I like sports, work out, and have even had "cougars" (older women preying on college dudes) passively hitting on me in the past in public places.

We all know so much about each other. Why get so hung up on one idiosyncratic quality?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
OMG!! Paul!! Take a break!! What is wrong with you??? Are you loseing it??? You posted about 13 members on here.. I know if I came home from work only to come on here and see you posting my BIZ!! All over the place id be pissed off!! Paul,, you ok??? No need to respond to me with a book!! I only read the first few lines!!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's not like I'm taking pictures of me stripping and pole-dancing at the Hardware Bar or anything. LOL!
That was YOU up there on that pole?! I knew it!!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
OMG!! Paul!! Take a break!! What is wrong with you??? Are you loseing it??? You posted about 13 members on here.. I know if I came home from work only to come on here and see you posting my BIZ!! All over the place id be pissed off!! Paul,, you ok??? No need to respond to me with a book!! I only read the first few lines!!
I'm only posting factual information that others have posted on this forum at some point or another prior to me posting it on here. If you're going to post something on here, then it's fair game for the public eye. I used to have my REAL NAME in my profile even until some used that to harass my relatives. Perhaps I'm just more of a social butterfly than most or just have a more photographic memory, but I don't think any of those members can dispute anything I said as being factually inaccurate. They themselves made the public aware of this all through their profiles or through what they typed to share with us all in the past, so it's not by any means an infringement of privacy. You're still new here. Hang around for 2.5 years as I have and you start to learn to be able to read people inside-out.

Another one who "only read the first few lines," eh? When was the last time you or weluvpa actually sat down and read a good book?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Everyone should leave this poster alone. I've read his posts, and while I don't agree with them all, he is very insightful and brings a lot to the table. He's a great asset to C-D and enjoy reading his stuff.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
That was YOU up there on that pole?! I knew it!!
What can I say? I just can't control myself when Coldplay comes on! When the Telemitry remix of "Viva La Vida" comes on I just have to assault the nearest object and get my groove thing on!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Everyone should leave this poster alone. I've read his posts, and while I don't agree with them all, he is very insightful and brings a lot to the table. He's a great asset to C-D and enjoy reading his stuff.
Wow! Thanks! That really means a lot! Some of the criticism that gets hurled my way is justified, but when it's "sour grapes" it just irks me to no end!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

858 posts, read 3,045,103 times
Paul, get over urself!! Im once again done with trying to make you understand. You have alot of growing up to do!!! And I dont care if you been on here for 10 years!! What is the big deal that im new?? Im still older and wiser then you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania