Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I can't support closing Gitmo and bringing the terrorists to the US. I'm sick of worrying about our "reputation." Enough of the politically correct BS. Hopefully we can swing congress back to the GOP next year and stop the rubberstamp.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sorry, I can't support closing Gitmo and bringing the terrorists to the US. I'm sick of worrying about our "reputation." Enough of the politically correct BS. Hopefully we can swing congress back to the GOP next year and stop the rubberstamp.
The Democratic Congress voted against Obama, so not much "rubberstamping" so far???

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The Democratic Congress voted against Obama, so not much "rubberstamping" so far???
Because even they knew it was political suicide to vote to bring imprisoned terrorists to US soil. Any senators and congressmen who voted to close Gitmo would be revolted against and voted out of office.

The fact that just about all democrats voted against the Messiah's plan to close Gitmo tells me that the Messiah is even further to the left of your average liberal democrat.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Me too. I'm sick of worrying about our country's so called "reputation". The political, left-wing correctness has got to stop. It will kill us. If anything, we have become a softer nation, domestically and in foreign affairs. We cannot look like we're not a tough nation in the eyes of the world. We're the biggest and best country on earth, but some in the government want to reduce us to a terrorist loving, we'll be everyone's ally country. We need countries to fear us again and by closing Gitmo doesn't help this cause. And yes, Obama is a very far left liberal than the average Democrat. I didn't like Clinton, but even he wasn't this radical or as far to the left. And why do "terrorist", individuals who blow up our buildings, need a fair trial.? Have we all forgotten 9/11?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Imprisoning suspects indefinitely without trial doesn't feel very American to me. If you support that, the terrorists have already defeated you!

BTW, this thread is supposed to be for local political discussion..

Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Imprisoning suspects indefinitely without trial doesn't feel very American to me. If you support that, the terrorists have already defeated you!

BTW, this thread is supposed to be for local political discussion..
They are TERRORISTS. Who cares about them? I thought this is where we could talk local and national politics. It doesn't say anything on the header about being just local.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
They are TERRORISTS. Who cares about them? I thought this is where we could talk local and national politics. It doesn't say anything on the header about being just local.
It does say "local politics" in the first post, but seems a little open ended. So maybe I'm wrong about that.

But I am right about the terrorists defeating you! They haven't defeated my sense of liberty and justice yet!!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
It does say "local politics" in the first post, but seems a little open ended. So maybe I'm wrong about that.

But I am right about the terrorists defeating you! They haven't defeated my sense of liberty and justice yet!!
It's just that we seem to be treating them with too much respect. They don't respect us or our way of life. It doesn't bother me if they get water boarded. You can't reason with these people rationally. They don't have the same mentality as us. They are evil and would love to see the end of our country as we know it. I think if we treat them civilly, they believe they have won and we are weak.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
It's just that we seem to be treating them with too much respect. They don't respect us or our way of life. It doesn't bother me if they get water boarded. You can't reason with these people rationally. They don't have the same mentality as us. They are evil and would love to see the end of our country as we know it. I think if we treat them civilly, they believe they have won and we are weak.
We've got to defeat them on our terms. They may have no respect for us and have completely different mentalities and principles, but I don't see that as a good reason for us to drop any of our principles, especially the kinds of principles that they detest.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
It's just that we seem to be treating them with too much respect [by not torturing]. They don't respect us or our way of life. It doesn't bother me if they get [tortured]. You can't reason with these people rationally. They don't have the same mentality as us. They are evil and would love to see the end of our country as we know it. I think if we [don't torture people], they believe they have won and we are weak.
There are so many things wrong with this paragraph.

(1) Republicans think torture is still wrong, right? See how ridiculous it sounds when you actually acknowledge that you're torturing people?

(2) If states break international law by torturing people (or by not effectively prosecuting torture in its territory), then we should pursue these nations for violations of international law. Republicans still believe in the "rule of law," don't they? I understand that you may not be aware that the United States is subject to the U.N Convention Against Torture. We are. That document is as much legally binding as a statute passed by Congress and signed by the President.

If they torture us, we don't "get them back" by torturing them. We prosecute them for breaking the law. I don't know why this concept is so difficult for Republicans to grasp. I thought they were all about law enforcement?

(3) This amateur armchair pop psychology bit about "they'll think we're weak if we don't torture them" is disgraceful as it's sophomoric. Torture doesn't deter; it further emboldens. Terrorists are using our torturing of Gitmo detainees as a recruiting tool. That's why Obama never released the photos, because it would engender anti-American violence. Why give terrorists something to actually be right about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania