Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

As a recent alumnus of Pittston Area, an upper-middle-class public school district about midway between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre where rumors constantly swirl over kickbacks, favoritism, and Mafia ties, I must say that it comes as no surprise to me that Dr. Ross Scarantino, the superintendent of the school district, has just been formally charged with having his palms greased in exchange for awarding contracts. This is just the first chapter in what will soon become yet ANOTHER massive black eye for our region in the national spotlight as individual after individual affiliated with our public schools is charged with some sort of malfeasance, impropriety, scheming, racketeering, nepotism, etc.

The launch of this massive FBI probe was announced last week to investigate numerous allegations of prospective teachers being expected to pay a school board official (or officials) in order to be given a position within the district. While the investigation was first centered around Wilkes-Barre Area, it now appears as if the focus has shifted to Pittston Area, a district where after today's 5 PM local news I'll be embarrassed to say I was derived from. It was obvious to me that for all of the parking lots at the high school to be replete with Lexuses, BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, etc. that there had to be SOME people with "creative earnings," as my own parents earn twice our region's median household income combined and can't afford half of the luxuries I saw lower-earning faculty, administrators, maintenance staff, support staff, etc. driving around in or attired in. The FBI was in the high school two days ago carrying out minutes from prior school board meetings, and I expect that Dr. Ross Scarantino is only the tip of the iceberg for a flawed school system administration that is going to come collapsing down like a deck of cards.

Granted though there are always SOME bright spots to be had. My sister was offered a position as an English teacher at the high school shortly after she graduated from King's in 2003, and while we were friends with one school board member at the time (not uncommon when you're active in such a small town) we most certainly didn't expect any sort of influence or "pull" to have her awarded with a position.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
They're moving their way north from Wilkes-Barre....I can't wait until the FBI gets to Scranton!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
They're moving their way north from Wilkes-Barre....I can't wait until the FBI gets to Scranton!
Maybe they're doing this sweep on a county-by-county basis? It seems like first the corruption at the Luzerne County Courthouse was investigated (save for Rob Mericle, who I think will also eventually be charged with something), and now the Luzerne County public school districts are getting swept up too. Lackawanna County is most certainly next, and I'm sure they'll find PLENTY of dirty laundry to air out in Scranton.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Pittston Area, an upper-middle-class public school district
Upper middle class?

I don't think that's quite right.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Upper middle class?

I don't think that's quite right.
Blueberry Hill Estates
Breezewood
Butler Heights
Forest Heights at Blueberry Hill Estates
Gable Crest
Highland Hills
Hillcrest View
Horizon Estates
Insignia Pointe
Insignia Pointe Courtyard
Laurel Hill
Maple View
Oakwood Park
Paradise Park
Pocono Ridge Estates
Quail Hill
Stauffer Heights
Stauffer Pointe
Strawberry Fields
Sunrise Estates
Susquehanna Estates
Valley View Estates
Willow View
Wynd Tree Oaks

...shall I continue?

What does your native Riverside have? Three developments? Four?

With hundreds upon hundreds of McMansions and ostentatious townhouses creeping up everywhere nowadays I don't exactly think that was an unfair statement. The majority of people in my own subdivision drive newer vehicles with many of those being higher-end ones. I know Pittston proper looks like a bombed-out wasteland because many people there apparently don't like to upkeep their homes, but the surrounding 'burbs are seeing an influx of the nuevo riche not unlike that of South Abington.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 26,722 times
Well I am willing to wager that the students living in those developments attend Prep or Sem.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRayLyman View Post
Well I am willing to wager that the students living in those developments attend Prep or Sem.
You'd be surprised how many do attend Pittston Area. In any event though let's stop nitpicking as to whether or not the presence of many upscale housing developments gives the immediate an upper-middle-class edge and instead re-focus our energies on the FBI probe.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
It's not a competition; it's more of a question of demographics. And demographics don't seem to support your observations. I think if you took a look at the median household incomes for the towns that comprise Pittston Area School District (Pittston, Avoca, Dupont, Duryea, Hughestown, Yatesville, Jenkins Township and Pittston Township), you won't find anything that as a whole could be considered "upper middle class," however low we define that.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
As a student who has to look at the teacher cars...i never see "all of the parking lots at the high school to be replete with Lexuses, BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, etc."
Admit it, that was an exaggeration.
As far as an upper middle class school-sure, but more then 70 % of students, like myself, are driving very old cars.
Also, i live in duryea in a very quaint house as do all of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania