Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As already posted Justifiable Homicide has a very narrow definition. And for good reason.

You jumped from someone being on your "land" to someone harming your family. Those are two totally different things. I would do what I could - physically and morally - to protect my family. Someone walking on my "land" is not threatening said family.
No person has any reason to come on our land .. Its posted ..

If you dont come to the front door im going to look at it as a trespass ..
We dont even have sidewalks , we are in the middle of nowhere, What business would someone have walking on our land ?
If i wanted too see people and traffic and cars I'd live in the city ..

I have Never seen a person ever walk down our road .. It aint like there is a 7-11 at the end ..

Country living has different codes ,, even a hunter will ask to hunt on the land ( and get permission too) but if you just ""Help yourself "" well Its another story

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,546 times
A sex offender is a sex offender. I think the issue in this thread is that there seems to be an assumption by many that the list only includes pedophiles. Yeah, there are some, sure. But not every registered offender committed their crime against a child. Several posters here seem to think the website is simply a list of baby-rapers, and that's simply not the case.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
ALOT of girls (esp in ca) are 13,14,15 but look/act older. MANY lie about there age as well. Just go to the beach or water slides during the summer & you will see what i mean. Why many girls wear next to nothing ill never understand.
That's a strange opinion considering the U.S. is one of the most conservative countries among developed nations in terms of beachwear and the acceptance of public nudity, as I'm sure you're aware of. Why women wear as much as they do is regrettable. They should at least have the freedom to wear what they want. I really don't give a crap that some parents feel awkward explaining to their kids what boobs and butts are. They really need to get over their own body hang-ups.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Each case is different. Megans law website can be misleading. Their is a registered sex offender down the street from me. He had consent sex with a minor ( 15 yr old girl) some yrs back. I dont consider him a pervert. To me a perv is a man that sexes young children & a man that rapes. ALOT of girls (esp in ca) are 13,14,15 but look/act older. MANY lie about there age as well. Just go to the beach or water slides during the summer & you will see what i mean. Why many girls wear next to nothing ill never understand.
I couldn't agree more. And I have to say - I do not understand why those people are on the site to begin with.

Can someone also explain to me why a man who was lied to about age still gets in trouble? I never understood that.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
No person has any reason to come on our land .. Its posted ..

If you dont come to the front door im going to look at it as a trespass ..
We dont even have sidewalks , we are in the middle of nowhere, What business would someone have walking on our land ?
If i wanted too see people and traffic and cars I'd live in the city ..

I have Never seen a person ever walk down our road .. It aint like there is a 7-11 at the end ..

Country living has different codes ,, even a hunter will ask to hunt on the land ( and get permission too) but if you just ""Help yourself "" well Its another story
I'll tell you one very good reason that someone may be on your property. They may have gotten lost. This happened to my husband and I a few years ago. We went hiking, got lost, and ended up (after 6 hours of walking) in someone's backyard. Glad that person didn't shoot us!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
A sex offender is a sex offender. I think the issue in this thread is that there seems to be an assumption by many that the list only includes pedophiles. Yeah, there are some, sure. But not every registered offender committed their crime against a child. Several posters here seem to think the website is simply a list of baby-rapers, and that's simply not the case.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Perhaps you could clarify?

Sex offenses have many different levels. An 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old is quite different than a man raping a woman.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,438 times
Quote:
Can someone also explain to me why a man who was lied to about age still gets in trouble? I never understood that.
I'm assuming his "mistake" just wasn't believable.

Under §3102, it *is* a defense for someone to reasonably believe a 14 or 15 year old is 16 (the age of consent). However, it's not a defense to believe anyone younger than 14 is at the age of consent. The trouble here with this defense is that it has to be a "reasonable" belief. Most times, that's just not gonna fly...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Why women wear as much as they do is regrettable.
Regrettable....heh. This made me giggle

Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I'm assuming his "mistake" just wasn't believable.

Under §3102, it *is* a defense for someone to reasonably believe a 14 or 15 year old is 16 (the age of consent). However, it's not a defense to believe anyone younger than 14 is at the age of consent. The trouble here with this defense is that it has to be a "reasonable" belief. Most times, that's just not gonna fly...

I can see what you are saying. I just know a few teenage girls that if I didn't know their age, they'd easily pass for 18.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,546 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Perhaps you could clarify?

Sex offenses have many different levels. An 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old is quite different than a man raping a woman.
The list is not solely people who committed crimes against children. A man who rapes his wife could be made to register as a sex offender. The 18 year girl who had sex with her 15 year old boyfriend could be made to register as a sex offender. I even thought I saw a prostitute on the list... Yes, the levels are different, but the classification as a sex offender is the same.

What I was saying is that there seems to be an assumption that sex offender is the same as child molester, and that's inaccurate. And the list is also far from complete, as has been pointed out upthread. You could be living next to a pedophile or sex offender and not even know it. He or she could have done their time long ago and/or is no longer required to register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania