Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM

125 posts, read 505,211 times

Advertisements

My family and I sold our house in FLA due to husband working in NYC. I have been up to Hawley every summer for the last 17 years. Family owns a cabin up there. I would love to move here. However I know with hubby working mostly in the city it is crazy. We have been looking all over NJ. I am just not feeling it. Does anyone up this way do the commute? My husband does plumbing. I currently work for the schools in FLA as a registrar. Is there jobs any where near? I am impressed by the schools near Hawley and feel like I am at home when I visit. Am I being greety by wanting my husband to commute. I will most likely be a SAHM for awhile until I get situated. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM

130 posts, read 317,301 times
Default Loving the Poconos

My situation is similar to yours; I came up to our family cabin at Lake Wallenpaupack as a kid and always loved the area. We moved here because everything fell into place as far as my husband's work, great school district and we found a nice home. We like the comm. that we are in b/c there are many ammentities for the kids and it is wonderful. tThe kids settled in a great school dist. and adjusted well. I see a lot of people commuting to the city and even though it is tough they do it. That has to be a personal decision. Many people stay with relatives there during the week and come back on weekends. I guess you just have to weigh everything out. If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM

307 posts, read 768,833 times
There are a lot of people that commute. I know of several families in Fawn lake and Mast hope. Some of my kids friends have had their parents commuting their whole lives. You can make it work if you really want to.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM

80 posts, read 306,670 times
Regular commutation to and from NYC from NE PA is probably the quickest route to a divorce. In those terms, you'd get more bang for your buck in NJ.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwick View Post
My family and I sold our house in FLA due to husband working in NYC. I have been up to Hawley every summer for the last 17 years. Family owns a cabin up there. I would love to move here. However I know with hubby working mostly in the city it is crazy. We have been looking all over NJ. I am just not feeling it. Does anyone up this way do the commute? My husband does plumbing. I currently work for the schools in FLA as a registrar. Is there jobs any where near? I am impressed by the schools near Hawley and feel like I am at home when I visit. Am I being greety by wanting my husband to commute. I will most likely be a SAHM for awhile until I get situated. Help
Commuting is not all that it is cracked up to be. My husband and I did it for 3 years when we lived in Milford. We both had to be in bed by 8pm and it is wear and tear on your body, car, pocket, etc. We did it for a short time and now do not commute because we live by Lake Wallenpaupack. Jobs are tough here, even the trades as many on the forum will tell you. Jobs, at least decent ones, will bring you to Scranton possibly. Your husband can commute by bus right in Hawley, but think about the time spent commuting. You may want to consider renting first to try it out. With a wicked winter like the one we just had, even buses and trains had it tough. By the way, weren't you looking in the Milford area not too long ago?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 13,299 times
Default Moved here 10 years ago

My wife & I moved here 10 years ago. We love it. I work for a custom home builder & my wife works for a Realtor. I used to commute throughout the tri-state area. When I got tired of the drive I found local employment.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM

76 posts, read 176,911 times
Well, we just purchased a home at the end of January. We are from the phila area. My husband is waiting for the early retirement announcement from the Post office. In the mean time we live with my daughter in Phila. during the week and come up on the weekends. It is rough though. It's starting to wear on us a bit. In the mean time we are looking around the arean for jobs. Good luck to you. If you want it bad enough things will work out....

Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM

125 posts, read 505,211 times
Right now I am in FLA and my husband has been up there working. Talking about rough. We have been doing this since June. We just want to be a family. What is the job outlook for Plumbers? He also did roofing and cell towers. He prefers not to do the roofing. I work for the schools as a registrar. I know things will work out. He is going to stay in my inlaws cabin startin in May to try the commute. They live in Tafton. We will see.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,844 times
Hi Kimwick!!! It's Rosanna (we use to talk on here when I lived in Punta Gorda) aka bamboosmom...
So you finally sold your house and are coming up!!!! I am in Tunkhannock about an hour from Hawley.
We just may get to have our BBQ once you are up here

We have a friend that travels from Clarks Summit into NYC everyday. She takes the Martz (sp?) buses into the city. She gets the bus in Scranton or near there I believe. She leaves around 5am... gets home around 8ish... Scranton is a bit further than Hawley though.

Hope this helps and welcome home!!! send me a pm and we can email each other!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM

76 posts, read 176,911 times
Hey, I live in Tafton too. Wow, since June. That is tough. I'm sure he can find something in that industry with the house building and all. Maybe once he is here at the cabin he will get to meet people and network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania