Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 AM

262 posts, read 582,734 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood streets are owned by the homeowners, not the state, so the homeowners are responsible for snow removal, and maintaining the road (ie: repaving). We were asked by the HOA to go with New Vision Trash because they drive smaller trucks and would cause less wear and tear on the roads. So most of us did.

Now it looks like they have gone kapoot! No trash pickup all week (things are getting smelly), voice mail full at their office and a abandoned truck parked the wrong way on a one way street in the town of Clifton for days.

I have read nothing but bad reviews for AAA Trash but don't know of any other reliable residential trash companies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
I've been using AAA for the last two years. I haven't read the bad reviews, but they do what I pay them for. Which is, pick up the trash on the designated days. There were some reports of how some companies are a driving hazard since there are kids waiting for school buses at that time, but we haven't seen that problem. My other option was American Disposal Services, but I chose AAA because almost everyone in my neighborhood uses AAA.

If you and your neighbors can collectively decide on one company, you might be able to negotiate a better rate.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:47 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
You might call the Dept. of Environmental Services in Arlington County. Maybe their subcontractors work for HOAs as well as counties. They do a B+/A- job, but maybe this is due to pretty good oversight and responsiveness by country employees.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I used to use AAA and switched to American Disposal about four years ago. I get better customer service on the phone, pickups as scheduled, recycling available, yard waste pickup, and a lower rate.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Most of the gripes about AAA involve a bogus $45 (I think) "reconditioning" fee when you discontinue service with them. If you complain to Fairfax Consumer Affairs...they drop the fee.

"Trash wars" have been going on around here for years. In the last couple decades, Waste Management did battle with BFI, and lost. Then BFI did battle with AAA, and lost. Now upstart American is challenging AAA for trash supremacy by undercutting AAA on price. However, if American prevails....they will immediately raise their prices to what AAA's were, or higher.

The ideal situation would be a "draw"...no clear winner. Then you would have two big trash companies in the same market, which is great for consumers (competition keeps prices down). I'm staying with AAA until it unfolds...I've never had ANY problem with them

edit: I just went to the County Consumer Protection website...AAA has had 88 complaints filed against them....American has had 108.

Last edited by car54; 06-20-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I used to use AAA and switched to American Disposal about four years ago. I get better customer service on the phone, pickups as scheduled, recycling available, yard waste pickup, and a lower rate.
Just curious, weezycom, why do you need to get on the phone with your trash company? AAA does everything that you listed...which are the basic things every trash company does. IMHO, both the trash companies are equally good or equally bad!

Anyway, OP, there was a thread on this forum back in 2008 when I was researching for a trash company. Based on the posts, you could get a lower rate from American Disposal and then call AAA and they would honor that rate. That's what I did. A lot of posts also said, it's a good idea to reduce the number of garbage trucks going up and down the road...as that's the time kids are out waiting for school buses.

Of course, if American Disposal gives you a lower rate that AAA does not match, then you must go with whatever fits your budget. You don't have to keep up with the Joneses when it comes to your trash!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Just curious, weezycom, why do you need to get on the phone with your trash company? AAA does everything that you listed...which are the basic things every trash company does. IMHO, both the trash companies are equally good or equally bad!
I've had to arrange special pickups for large items (old wall-to-wall, mattresses, etc.) a few times, and I've had to get a curby replaced after a windstorm blew it into the phone pole out front and damaged the wheel.

I had a curby stolen when I was with AAA and they never would replace it even after 5 phone calls, and suggested I drive around the neighborhood and see if I could spot it!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
We have AAA and thought about switching to American when I neighbors did (we're on a cul-de-sac -- less trucks driving up our street, etc.). So we called AAA saying that American would charge us a lower price. Not only did AAA meet the American price quote, they went lower by $10 a month, and guaranteed the rate for a year. So we stayed with AAA.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
...So we called AAA saying that American would charge us a lower price. Not only did AAA meet the American price quote, they went lower by $10 a month, and guaranteed the rate for a year. So we stayed with AAA.

Wonderful! Here's to a longterm stalemate between AAA and American. If neither can KO the other....WE WIN!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM

25 posts, read 65,734 times
We just switched from AAA to American on Friday. Haven't had any issues with AAA but someone from American was going around trying to get people to switch. The cost was lower, but I'm sure if I called AAA they would either match or beat the rate. The primary reason we switched is because American accepts more items for recycling than AAA does, specifically they take all plastics #1-7 (AAA only takes #1 & #2).

So for what I'm sure would be similar cost I'd rather have some extra options for recycling. In the end they're just trash companies. I don't have any loyalty towards any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia