Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 17,589 times

Advertisements

landlord did not do an initial walk in we moved in right after the previous tenant and never did a walk through or signed anything about the condition of the house on move in..after being burned by my last landlord.. i took pictures of all damage with date stamp...I have emailed the landlord to come by and do a walk through to sign off on pre existing damage but the emails are not responded to...will my pictures be enough proof of the condition on move or do i need him to sign and agree on the condition..I do not want any deposit withheld or used to fix damages that were here prior to us moving in...i'm in northern VA renting a house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
When we rented a house, the property manager was a real ***** (we nicknamed her "the property Nazi") who looked at us like we were white trash because we were renting, even though we owned a house out of state and probbaly had twice her income. Since I didn't trust the Nazi as far as I could spit, I made a detailed list of every single problem or damaged item in the house that we found upon moving in and sent it to her. If you have a mailing address for the landlord, I'd suggest you likewise send him a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, itemizing each such damaged item and with an accompanying photo for each. Needless to say, keep a copy of the letter for your own records for when you move out. It may be overkill, but at last this way you're covering yourself.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I agree with what ICS67 said before. And with each rent check, keep sending the list if Landlord hasn't signed off on it. They can't claim they didn't know about it if they cash your rent checks.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM

107 posts, read 250,884 times
When I moved into my last place the property manager only provided me with a checklist to fill out and return to her. No walk through together. I went over the apartment with a fine toothed comb, and recorded everything. I also noted on this check-in list that I was not a professional and that I expected to find more items as my residency continued. I was unimpressed with the property manager's attitude and was going to cover my bases. I moved out last November and the list never came into play. My interpretation of the VA Landlord-Tenant act appears to be biased toward the landlord; another reason to take all of the precautions I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia