Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

The Children's Museum of Northern Virginia is currently a "mobile museum" that sets up at various events and festivals. However, they have big plans. They're talking with developers in Fairfax, Reston and Loudoun, hoping to to build a permanent home for the museum as part of a proffer for a housing or office park development.

Personally, I think the developer who talked about building a second minor league stadium in Loudoun should take on this project, instead. The museum would like to be in the tech corridor, since it's focused on technology. Plans for the building include a performance theater and planetarium.

Children's Museum of Northern Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd like to see something like this near a metro station. The Brambleton Metro stop would be a perfect location. I wonder what it would take to plant the idea in a nearby developer's ear?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
They should put it in Arlington. There is a planetarium there already that is about to close, just buy the building, improve the facilities and VOILA Children's Museum.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM

The planetarium is about to close? Why?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
Budget cuts for 2011. Here is the article from WTOP. School board may close Arlington planetarium - wtop.com

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

265 posts, read 952,378 times
It would be great to see a Childrens/Science Museum in the Northern Virginia area. Currently we have to go to Richmond which has a great one.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
It would be great to see a Childrens/Science Museum in the Northern Virginia area. Currently we have to go to Richmond which has a great one.
A children's mueum would be nice. We really like the one in Richmond too, but it is definitely geared towards preschool and younger years. When we go, we spend some time there for our younger children, and then head next door to the Science museum for our older children!

There is also the Shenandoah Discovery museum out in Winchester. It's small, but as lots of really fun things for the kids. All of my kids (boys, between the ages of 4-10) have enjoyed themselves there.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'd like to see something like this near a metro station. The Brambleton Metro stop would be a perfect location. I wonder what it would take to plant the idea in a nearby developer's ear?
I personally wouldn't call it the Brambleton Metro stop, since it will be over 2 miles away from Brambleton. It's really more like the Broadlands Metro stop.

The most recent "Current News" on that Children's Museum of NoVA site is from 2006. Curious, I went Googling to find out what happened to them, and found this:

Children's Science Center

They've changed their name. Anyway, they are apparently still looking for a site to build.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM

So it sounds like it stalled out for some reason. I wonder what could be done to get it going again? I'm not talking a big effort--I'm not willing to spearhead a fund drive or anything--but would it be helpful to contact the Post and suggest they do an article on this?

Using the former planetarium seems like a perfect solution (especially since the kids museum said they wanted to have a planetarium).

Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
The Junior League of Northern Virginia is actively partnered with the Children's Science Center to raise money to build the Children's Museum The Junior League of Northern Virginia: Projects: The Children's Science Center (http://www.jlnv.org/jlnv/npo.jsp?pg=projects&article=514 - broken link)

There is also a small Children's Museum in downtown Winchester Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum
They are planning to build a larger facility and are actively fundraising.

Hint, hint, if anyone wants to send funds to either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia