Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:36 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Ashburn is MOST CERTAINLY NOT "keep up with the Jones," especially in comparison to some of the other affluent areas in NoVA. Good grief, man, have you been to McLean or Great Falls? Or worse still, ritzier areas of SoCal or Scottsdale, VA?

Furthermore, Ashburn is about 30 (33 to be exact), not 40, miles from DC. (I variously commuted to 15th & K in DC and Clarendon in Arlington from Ashburn at one point).

I used to travel a lot and it usually took me 15 minutes from my house to Dulles and I found a Dulles a pretty good airport with good connections everywhere, but esp. excellent for overseas travel.

I don't think you can objectively say that people in "Oakton, Vienna, Arlington, Falls Church City" are friendlier. In fact, the common perception is probably that the people in the Beltway are snottier and less friendly than those who live farther out. That's NOT my personal view, but that's probably more the common view.

I have friends who live all over the NoVA area from Alexandria to Arlington to Great Falls to Centreville to South Riding (and of course I used to live in Ashburn), all with small children. Of those only *I* had block parties. Most of my friends did not even know most of their neighbors.
It strikes me that most people in places like Ashburn realize they ARE the Joneses, so they might as well not sweat it.

Agree 100% that purporting to generalize as to which suburbs are more or less "pretentious" than others is a very silly, not to mention misleading, exercise.

Where exactly is Scottsdale, VA? Did you mean AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Where exactly is Scottsdale, VA? Did you mean AZ?
Yes, I meant AZ, not VA.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Agree 100% that purporting to generalize as to which suburbs are more or less "pretentious" than others is a very silly, not to mention misleading, exercise.
Im surprised we didnt already get an attack on reverse snobbery.

I would add, that without committing to whether or not some nabes are pretentious, there is certainly more divergence on that WITHIN MoCO and WITHIN NoVa, than between the two, IMHO.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
I would say that in my experience the further one gets from DC the less pretentious. Although I have also heard that Ashburn is the exception to the rule but I've never spent time so I could be wrong.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I would say that in my experience the further one gets from DC the less pretentious.
Little river turnpike from Landmark to Annandale to FFX city is certainly an exception to that rule - not that Woodson Land (annandale beyond the beltway, or fairfax east of FFX city, or whatever you call it) is as pretentious as SOME places which will go unnamed.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:37 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Little river turnpike from Landmark to Annandale to FFX city is certainly an exception to that rule - not that Woodson Land (annandale beyond the beltway, or fairfax east of FFX city, or whatever you call it) is as pretentious as SOME places which will go unnamed.
I forgot about Landmark and Annandale. Good point.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
I moved from Cary to MoCo...thinking it would be somewhat similar--it is not and, if you are looking for an area more like Cary, I would also advise Reston / Chantilly. They are also close to Dulles.

If you really need to be near BWI, you could look into living in Columbia, MD or Clarksville, MD...which are also more similar to Cary.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't intend on starting a debate on where the pretentious people live. I was just looking for some conventional wisdom.
Also, I am not looking to recreate Cary, NC. In fact, I would not mind something more along the lines of where I am originally from in NJ.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. I didn't intend on starting a debate on where the pretentious people live. I was just looking for some conventional wisdom.
Also, I am not looking to recreate Cary, NC. In fact, I would not mind something more along the lines of where I am originally from in NJ.
But what was your hometown in NJ like?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
An old friend (and longtime DC area resident) told me before I moved here... folks from the south / mid-west usually like Virginia, folks from the New Jersey / north-east prefer Maryland and Montgomery County.

Don't know if this is still true or not, but I know I would like to leave MoCo and go some place more like the VA burbs (hence, why I was reading this forum...)

Seems like there are tons of people from NJ in Montgomery Co, and Silver Spring is definitely not stuck up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia