Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,201 times

Advertisements

I must say, I am very impressed with how helpful and respectful all of you have been to me and each other. No one gets contentious or defensive. We will probably rent at first...get a lay of the land. I will continue to investigate the two school districts as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californicopia View Post
I must say, I am very impressed with how helpful and respectful all of you have been to me and each other. No one gets contentious or defensive.
Oh dear. You may need to do a lot more reading on here.

Regarding school districts: You may find that Montgomery County feels similar to Fresno in terms of diversity (economically, there are probably many more wealthy people in MoCo than Fresno). It seems to be a lot more loose with the money and very liberal in their voting.

Fairfax and Loudoun Counties in Virginia are definitely worth checking out for both employment and housing. Coming from Fresno, I think you and your wife would be pleased with either one.

It is important to do the research, as you have been. If you have more questions about specific areas, you can direct message me. I hope a move to the east coast works out for you.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 AM

30 posts, read 83,105 times
Maryland is full of insipid liberals that want to control you whereas Virginia has its liberals but they don't have the power to control.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

californicopia, when might you be making this move to Virginia or Maryland?

My husband's sister and her husband own a house in Derwood, and their taxes are over $10,000/year. A similar home in Fairfax County would have taxes around $7,000/year (guesstimate). You might want to look up political issues (like illegal immigrants paying state tuition for college, Ike Leggett) in Montgomery County and see how the area is governed. That will you an idea of whether Maryland is a good fit for you. Maryland has some very pretty areas.

For the record, all of my grandparents were Democrats from the Depression era, my parents are lapsed Democrats (they switched to independents a few years ago), and my husband is a conservative independent (not a Limbaugh Republican). I listen to all sides.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevispin View Post
Maryland is full of insipid liberals that want to control you whereas Virginia has its liberals but they don't have the power to control.
One person's "control" is another person's "freedom"...and vice versa.

Constructive advice and criticism is always useful.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 7,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
californicopia, when might you be making this move to Virginia or Maryland?

My husband's sister and her husband own a house in Derwood, and their taxes are over $10,000/year. A similar home in Fairfax County would have taxes around $7,000/year (guesstimate). You might want to look up political issues (like illegal immigrants paying state tuition for college, Ike Leggett) in Montgomery County and see how the area is governed. That will you an idea of whether Maryland is a good fit for you. Maryland has some very pretty areas.

For the record, all of my grandparents were Democrats from the Depression era, my parents are lapsed Democrats (they switched to independents a few years ago), and my husband is a conservative independent (not a Limbaugh Republican). I listen to all sides.
Not real soon, unfortunately. We are getting our ducks in a row, so to speak. We currently live in a conservative area of California (central) and work in a non-union, top notch school district at a diverse, high performing high school. We will move without kids, so schools are not an integral part of our decision. We just want to escape the politics and failings of our state, make more money, and enjoy the benefits of living in an area with so much to do and see.

MoCo schools pay a bit more than Loudoun or Fairfax, so much of our decision as to where we want to live will hinge on the district in which we work. I am also a coach and will seek a head coaching job, so I think it is important to live in or near the school where one works. Just a personal ideology, I suppose...I think it helps you connect better with your school community.

Loudoun and west Fairfax have much more affordable housing than most of MoCo and north-central/east Fairfax. Not sure if the greater salary in MoCo can offset the higher housing costs. It's all relative I suppose.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californicopia View Post
Not real soon, unfortunately. We are getting our ducks in a row, so to speak. We currently live in a conservative area of California (central) and work in a non-union, top notch school district at a diverse, high performing high school. We will move without kids, so schools are not an integral part of our decision. We just want to escape the politics and failings of our state, make more money, and enjoy the benefits of living in an area with so much to do and see.
It's great that you are starting the research and planning now. Keep in mind that by escaping the politics of CA, you will be entering the politics of DC/VA/MD. A whole different culture and atmosphere.

Montgomery County and northern Virginia do feel different to me. Other than the political climates in each, I can't really describe why. Plenty of diversity in both areas. It is good to plan on living close to the school community in which you will be employed. Having a manageable commute definitely improves the quality of life here.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
If you're interested in coaching and kids' sports, that could be one factor in Virginia's favor.

Virginia is sports paradise for kids, especially out in the western and southern suburbs. Lots and lots of teams--neighborhood teams, school teams, minor league teams, etc. Parents are big on booster programs, and we have soccer moms a-mundo. I know a few people who are coaches, referees, etc. and they always seem to need people. MD also has lots of sports programs but they aren't as into it in the same way. Virginians tend to be unabashedly rah-rah-rah (especially out in the suburbs), Marylanders tend to be a little embarassed by sports (with some exceptions, like when the Terps play).

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you're interested in coaching and kids' sports, that could be one factor in Virginia's favor.

Virginia is sports paradise for kids, especially out in the western and southern suburbs. Lots and lots of teams--neighborhood teams, school teams, minor league teams, etc. Parents are big on booster programs, and we have soccer moms a-mundo. I know a few people who are coaches, referees, etc. and they always seem to need people. MD also has lots of sports programs but they aren't as into it in the same way. Virginians tend to be unabashedly rah-rah-rah (especially out in the suburbs), Marylanders tend to be a little embarassed by sports (with some exceptions, like when the Terps play).
You mean you didn't hear about the Redskins moving their training camp from Ashburn to Chevy Chase?

Just kidding. You might be right, although some of the best (and controversial) sports programs in the area are at private schools in Maryland like Landon, Montrose Christian and DeMatha. In terms of public schools, my sense is that the NoVa schools are probably more competitive in terms of team sports and the MoCo schools are at least as strong with respect to individual sports (swimming, cross country, tennis, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia