Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,011 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses!

Despite the commute I'd rather drive the extra few minutes and live in Winchester than live in Front Royal (were there isn't much to do/places to shop) or live somewhere in Northern VA where the cost of living is much higher. With both my fiance and I teaching we can live quite comfortably in Winchester, but not so much in say Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM

165 posts, read 531,014 times
I often drive to visit my daughter at Shenandoah University (the east edge of Winchester), and during NON-RUSH hour, it takes me exactly one hour to get there from the 50/66 junction (Fair Oaks area).

Therefore, Bristow to Winchester would be 50 minutes during non-rush hour.

I take 66 west to just past Marshall VA, and then take 17 northwest to Paris VA and 50 west into Winchester.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjackles View Post
Thanks for the responses!

Despite the commute I'd rather drive the extra few minutes and live in Winchester than live in Front Royal (were there isn't much to do/places to shop) or live somewhere in Northern VA where the cost of living is much higher. With both my fiance and I teaching we can live quite comfortably in Winchester, but not so much in say Fairfax.
I grew up in Front Royal and am terribly, terribly biased.

Of course, Winchester is 2x the size of Front Royal, and Frederick/Winchester is 3x the size of Front Royal/Warren County. So of course there will be more to do in Winchester.

Plus, your future kids will get to enjoy the legacy of some rich Pennsylvanian who died 100 years ago.

I'm assuming you've tested trying to get out of Winchester in the AM and getting back in the PM. I'd imagine 522 is less of a pain than 7, 17, or 50. (No, this isn't a Front Royal plug, it's a !@$# getting out of FR in the AM/getting back in the PM too!)

Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,457,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I grew up in Front Royal and am terribly, terribly biased.

Of course, Winchester is 2x the size of Front Royal, and Frederick/Winchester is 3x the size of Front Royal/Warren County. So of course there will be more to do in Winchester.

Plus, your future kids will get to enjoy the legacy of some rich Pennsylvanian who died 100 years ago.

I'm assuming you've tested trying to get out of Winchester in the AM and getting back in the PM. I'd imagine 522 is less of a pain than 7, 17, or 50. (No, this isn't a Front Royal plug, it's a !@$# getting out of FR in the AM/getting back in the PM too!)

OP -- the rich Pennsylvanian refers to Judge John Handley who died about 100 years ago but left an endowment to the City of Winchester high school. It's named after him and there is tremendous loyalty to the school in the city.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 AM

303 posts, read 592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Which road construction? I haven't lived out here long so maybe it's already completed.
This is what I was speaking of.

Gainesville Improvements

Well maybe I'm driving a little slower. Mapquest estimates from my house to entering Winchester is 1 hour 9 mins. with no traffic.

I normally drive 66 straight out to 81 when I go out there which I admitted has been awhile so I'm glad to hear that things have improved.

Winchester is a cute town. Good luck with the new job!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP -- the rich Pennsylvanian refers to Judge John Handley who died about 100 years ago but left an endowment to the City of Winchester high school. It's named after him and there is tremendous loyalty to the school in the city.
How many other schools have valuable works of art stacked up in a closet somewhere?

I swear, WPS could make a few hundred grand just letting the Handley Bowl (football stadium) and/or building get used by movie crews over the summers/breaks.

Growing up, it was Warren County and whoever was playing Handley.

OK, enough summoning of spite from my older years. Winchester is a great place, and if I didn't have ties 20 miles to the south, I'd probably be recommending Winchester as much as other PPs have. You may want to cast your nets around Loudoun County, though, the commute is probably easier (at least more direct) to Leesburg/points west than it is to Bristow.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,267,179 times
One thing to keep in mind is the cost of gas and the extra miles, wear/tear on your car. Could be the savings in COL will largely be eaten up on car costs.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,457,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
How many other schools have valuable works of art stacked up in a closet somewhere?

I swear, WPS could make a few hundred grand just letting the Handley Bowl (football stadium) and/or building get used by movie crews over the summers/breaks.

Growing up, it was Warren County and whoever was playing Handley.

OK, enough summoning of spite from my older years. Winchester is a great place, and if I didn't have ties 20 miles to the south, I'd probably be recommending Winchester as much as other PPs have. You may want to cast your nets around Loudoun County, though, the commute is probably easier (at least more direct) to Leesburg/points west than it is to Bristow.
Hmm, hadn't heard about the art work before . . . you're right, though, about the movie crews. It is a beautiful building and grounds, especially after the extensive renovations.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I will be relocating to Virginia the first of June. I will be working in the Vint Hills Farm Area and would like to know about a commute from Stephens City/Front Royal/Strasburg Area. I would like to live in this area because my wife may be transferring to a job in Winchester, VA. I would rather do the longer commute instead of her and according to Google, it's about an hour drive from Stephens City. Is this about correct on the commute time. I would be taking exit 40 off I66E to transition over to Vint Hill Farm Area. Any comments, feedback appreciated!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsumm1 View Post
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I will be relocating to Virginia the first of June. I will be working in the Vint Hills Farm Area and would like to know about a commute from Stephens City/Front Royal/Strasburg Area. I would like to live in this area because my wife may be transferring to a job in Winchester, VA. I would rather do the longer commute instead of her and according to Google, it's about an hour drive from Stephens City. Is this about correct on the commute time. I would be taking exit 40 off I66E to transition over to Vint Hill Farm Area. Any comments, feedback appreciated!
You don't say what time but that is about right. Exiting onto Rt 15 will allow you to miss a good amount of traffic continuing on 66 E/B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia