Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
My wife and I got married at me 24/her 21, everyone was asking if we were expecting. Not sure where this "date -- get married -- pop out babies" culture is located.

Unfortunately, when a lot of couples marry that young, it's because the girl is pregnant - not saying that's what happened with you - just telling you why people are probably asking if you're expecting.

Last edited by katyusha25; 03-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I have to agree with Mr. Idealism - right now I am a SAHM who drives a mini-van and son plays soccer (oh God how did this happen?)

I had my first child at 40 and notice most of the women around here have their first at around 20 something (guess its a Southern thing)

They do brag alot and talk about some pretty boring things - I guess that is why I have trouble making friends. I mean come on - these kids are in special paid for programs to improve their chances of testing well - in 2nd grade!!! - and a alot of them ARE living through their children - so sad -but not all of them - and I do agree that NOVA is very different from others places - much more cut throat and cookie cutter

Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM

31 posts, read 86,320 times
Like: My idyllic sanctuary on the Potomac and the ability to shut out the world.
Dislike: Everything else beyond my yard. Yuppies. Liberals.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
The thing I like best about NoVA is that I can ride through the woods and through beautiful backdrops - couldn't do that in CA.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Things I dislike:

1. The liberals.
2. How people think their service oriented jobs are productive and contribute to the economy.
3. The military-industrial complex.
4. The outrageously high rent.
5. The traffic.
6. The lack of personality
7. Peoples' obsession with their careers.
8. No manners
9. Self-obsession

The Good things:
1. Lots of different cultural offerings from around the world.
2. People are open to discussing politics.
3. Virginia Tech is taking over Arlington.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM

13 posts, read 36,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Things I dislike:

1. The liberals.
2. How people think their service oriented jobs are productive and contribute to the economy.
3. The military-industrial complex.
5. The traffic.
6. The lack of personality
7. Peoples' obsession with their careers.
8. No manners
9. Self-obsession

The Good things:
1. Lots of different cultural offerings from around the world.
2. People are open to discussing politics.
3. Virginia Tech is taking over Arlington.
Virginia Tech taking over Arlington? What do you mean? I say that as a VT grad myself...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Things I dislike:

Don't you mean "The rent is too damn high!"

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM

166 posts, read 376,377 times
The pop out babies and get married young culture would be located in Wisconsin

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Things I dislike:

1) The conservatives
2) Everything else

Things I like:

1) Not a whole lot. Time to move

Old 03-30-2011, 03:46 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Things I like:
1. The educated population. I appreciate this so much. Even on this board, there are fewer spelling mistakes and grammar errors than on other boards. I take this for granted until I go to other places and realize not everyone went to college and has a Master's degree.
2. Many cultural events and activities. I can be busy every single day with museums, events, parks, etc. and not do the same thing twice all year long.
3. Lots of jobs available. Even though I am not currently looking, I know there are a plethora of jobs out there for when I do.
4. Good location geographically. I can drive north and go to New England, go south and visit the south, go west and visit the midwest - all within a 10 hours' drive. We can also visit several cities with a few hours - Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Wilmington, Charlottesville. I am also close to home - 3 hours from my parents and siblings and their families.
5. I love that people come from all over. I love that my children will describe a friend to me and as an afterthought, say "oh, she has brown skin" rather than say "my black friend." My children's school is like a true United Nations. International Night is authentic with food and clothing from people's home countries. I cannot imagine what International Night would have been like in my hometown - an English food made by someone whose great-great-great grandmother came over on the Mayflower doesn't usually taste as good as Korean barbeque prepared by people who cook like that on a daily basis.
6. This area is often high on the list to get things first - we got fiber optics before much of the country. Wegman's and Trader Joe's moved here before other places. Apple opened their first store here (I think). American Girl is opening a store here. In other words, we're in a good market for the latest and greatest things.

Things I dislike:
1. The weather. I dislike the cold, and I hate dark winters. While I know we are hardly in the Arctic here, it is still too cold for my liking. I am unhappy from December to March except for the few days of warm weather and sunshine that we get or for when we take off for Florida. I really need to move to a more tropical climate.
2. Overall, this area is too phony and materialistic. It takes longer to find "real" folks in between the "fake" ones.
3. There is a lack of community feeling in the whole DC area. I felt this strongly when I moved here from PA almost 22 years ago. News revolves around politics. Local news takes a back seat. County government plays a big role. There is very little town government. There are very few borders between "towns" or CDPs. It's hard to feel loyal to a place when there is no sense of place. I have lived in many places in the DC area, and I seem to like the ones with boundaries and community spirit.
4. Food. I know this has been beaten to death, but I am used to cheesesteak and pretzel places on every corner. Bagels, pizza, bialies, hoagies. Why o why can't we get a decent one of these around here? In most towns where I grew up, there were a minimum of 5 (non-chain) pizza/hoagie shops. I just want ONE!
5. Traffic. Don't need to elaborate
6. Expensive. Don't need to elaborate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia