Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times

Advertisements

Alanboy, I'm sorry about your dad and your friend.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM

505 posts, read 765,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Depends what you fly. If you're on an A320, you're making $125-$140 per hour. If it were a 747, you'd be in the $180-190 per hour range. Not sure how many military guys are pulling down those numbers.
Those numbers are for experienced captains in those aircraft. The equivalent in the military would probably be a senior O-5 for the A320 or O-6 for the 747. If you look at a monthly or annual rate instead of hourly, you will see the incomes are fairly comparable to someone at that level in the military. You could even argue the military person comes out ahead because of better benefits, health care, and retirement, plus tax advantages which boost their take home pay since part of their income isn't taxed.

In general airline pilots are only paid when the door is closed and the plane is unblocked. Typically that works out to around 80 hrs a month according to friends in the industry. They don't get paid for a lot of the time they are "at work" but doing preflight, post flight, admin, going through security etc. They are spending several nights away from home every month. Not to mention the pay cuts, layoffs and furloughs across the industry.

Junior pilots starting off at commuter airlines make as little as $20k which is less than any military pilot makes. The pay scale for an experienced pilot (captain) on a regional jet tops out around $70K, which is less than a mid-level military officer. Pilots leaving the military that are fortunate to find one of the few airline jobs available typically are taking a pay cut to get their foot in the door as a first officer at one of the major airlines. And they are starting off at the bottom of the seniority pile so they have little job security.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No problem. First, become a well-connected staffer on Capitol Hill, then turn yourself into a lobbyist. And do you think all those mining company exce's are now earning what they did while working in the Bush Interior Department? What percentage of commercial airline pilots do you think first flew in the military? These would all be examples of "people who are paid by the taxpayers to do virtually nothing, and have never, could never, and will never work in the private sector." At least, according to some.
Do you have ANY idea how much commercial pilots make? After flying for 10 to 15 years, it's about what you would make as a GS 14 or GS 15. Pilots do not make the big bucks. Are you saying that pilots do nothing?

Someone on Capitol Hill, the top chief of staff, makes what a GS 13 would make. A handful of those people become lobbyists, after age 50. Kinda like a handful of government workers who make SES status, if they are women and minorities.

I have no idea what people in mining companies make. How many can there be?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yeah, I haven't seen the "five times" but I've seen several retirees get at least what they were making. My mom just retired this past Friday and she has three offers from contractors for at least what she's making (high GS-14) yet she will have a lot less work/responsibility.
Ok, so contractors pay what the government pays, and sometimes the jobs might be easier. Not sure what that proves.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM

323 posts, read 508,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Ok, so contractors pay what the government pays, and sometimes the jobs might be easier. Not sure what that proves.
I can say as an engineer I took at $20k pay cut to go from defense contractor to government and I work way more hours than I did as a contractor. The reward is having control/direction over your work, as well as more training opportunities.

For most government employees in the defense world, they can make more money as contractors.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:37 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Quote:
Do you have ANY idea how much commercial pilots make? After flying for 10 to 15 years, it's about what you would make as a GS 14 or GS 15. Pilots do not make the big bucks. Are you saying that pilots do nothing?

Someone on Capitol Hill, the top chief of staff, makes what a GS 13 would make. A handful of those people become lobbyists, after age 50. Kinda like a handful of government workers who make SES status, if they are women and minorities.

I have no idea what people in mining companies make. How many can there be?
Please post a link to data showing what % of SES jobholders are female and what % are minority, to support the claim you seem to be making.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Isn't a debate over private industry versus government pay a bit off topic? The OP is asking what are our top 10 whines. I have three. First is the food scene here is mediocre. Second is that the Potomac is too dirty to swim in. Third is people drive like the GW Parkway is a 70mph freeway.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Isn't a debate over private industry versus government pay a bit off topic? The OP is asking what are our top 10 whines. I have three. First is the food scene here is mediocre.
It does gets better further north and west of the Alexandria part of Fairfax County. Just had a very nice meal at McLean 1910, a new place in McLean, even though we went in with relatively low expectations. And some other posters recently provided nice lists of options both in the Annandale area and in Western Fairfax/Loudoun.

Quote:
Second is that the Potomac is too dirty to swim in.
Can't argue on that one!
Quote:

Third is people drive like the GW Parkway is a 70mph freeway.
It's not? Oops. Have to confess that, while I don't go over 70, picking up a bit of speed on the GW Parkway when there's not much traffic is one of the few pleasures NoVa driving offers.

But, then again, were these intended as real whines, or just annoying ones? It's hard to keep up with the instructions on this thread! I guess if we are being summoned to come up with annoying complaints, here are a few to toss out:

1. There's no good pizza anywhere to be found in the region, so there's no point going to 2 Amy's or Pizzeria Orso.

2. There are too many Asian kids at TJ. It's not fair that these kids work so hard.

3. I don't bother to vote in elections, but I can't understand how you reactionaries voted Cuccinelli into office.

Last edited by JD984; 05-07-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 AM

43 posts, read 115,292 times
To All complainers
there is a list of "Ghost cities" in usa i think these complainers need to move there and live there then they realize that without job and economy there is NO life. NOVA is the best place to raise families specially Loudoun county. Loudoun and Fairfax are 2 richest counties in USA and booming. even with Recession there is a steady job pace, very LOW un employment rate in Loudoun and fairfax, money is rolling, people make big time money and spend big time too. so stop crying like a Lil B**** and start putting your head together. Simple thing dont like NOVA get out and go live in Detroit MI. I dont live in NOVA i am from mid west but heard good things about NOVA. proximity to DC, Mountains, Oceans, other near by cities, 100s museums mostly free, 100s parks Free, bike, hike trails, proximity to Blue ridge parkway, Baltimore great school systems. Loudoun county is family oriented. more people bring more stimulation, economy, jobs, etc etc but it also cause rush traffic hours so just bare with that. Dont like rush hour traffic then move to Montana or Alaska there are lot of empty places in USA but No Jobs. remember to gain something you have to loose somthing. People talk about sun belt cities but remember too much sun is also harmfull for your skin after a while all these sun loving people start missing 4 seasons. NOVA has moderate weather and 4 seasons and mild winter few hard snow days but eventually it melt though. lots of hustling and bustling in DC, Lots of Tourism in DC, lots of jobs, Dulles Technology Corridor, Federal government, 1000s defense contracting companies etc etc etc. yes the houses are over priced but just look around try to find a good deal or look for REO, Foreclosure which is hard to find in Loudoun because most have jobs.
I will be moving sooner to Brambleton, Broadlands or Leesburg, Lasndowne VA.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:

It proves that despite another poster's assertion that government workers can't make it in a private firm, they do in many cases and often for a good salary. Need I explain further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia