Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times

Advertisements

This is MY particular list. Feel free to add yours!

1. "Real estate is over-priced here!" And it's corollary "Why can't I afford a SFH in Great Falls with my first job out of college?"

Because homes are affordable in NYC, Boston, LA, San Diego, the Hamptons, Boulder, Paris, London, Tokyo, Lake Como, etc.

2. "People here are rude (or selfish or unfriendly, ad naseum)!"

Because whoever makes the remark is so obviously and clearly a uniquely polite, unselfish, friendly human being.

3. "I'm leaving here as soon as I get similar job elsewhere!"

Reminds me a little bit of "If GW Bush becomes president, I am going to Canada!" ("Er, so long as I can find a similar job there that pays the same").

4. "I left NoVA. Where I am now is a paradise in comparison!"

We're all glad for you! And please, by all means, keep coming back to NoVA forum and telling us how we live in a rotten place.

5. "I can't make friends here!"

Translation: "Strangers! Talk to me and amuse me! I can't make the effort to initiate!"

6. "Why doesn't everyone else in NoVA like urban living like I do? It's all a gigantic suburb!"

Usually from DC or NYC people who are apparently forced to be here.

7. "Why is everything being bulldozed, developed and turned into concrete and asphalt? You're ruining the the natural beauty of the area!"

Usually from rural VA people who are apparently forced to be here.

8. "Why does everyone like McMansions? You should live in a walkable townhome!"

Translation: "I can't buy a big home. But I hate that you can."

9. "Why do you live in a townhouse? You should buy a SFH!"

Translation: "I have more money than you, so kiss it!"

10. "You should not live in Loudon, Centerville, Prince Williams, etc."

Translation: "I am an expert of the area. If I don't know the names well enough after 30 years in the area, it's not worth living there."

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: watch the graphic exhortations

Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Actually, I hate complainers about complainers. It's on the same level that I hate people that reply all to email distros and say "please don't reply all!". You are truly doing the same thing.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Translation: "I am an expert of the area. If I don't know the names well enough after 30 years in the area, it's not worth living there."

Where has anyone said that?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
forced to be here.

8. "Why does everyone like McMansions? You should live in a walkable townhome!"

Translation: "I can't buy a big home. But I hate that you can."
"
actually I think there are at least a few people who live in big homes who dont like McMansions. not all large homes are mcmansions (though I guess some folks use the term differently)

And of course lots of people advocate for walkable development for many reasons. Even folks who live in expensive townhomes and condos.

Of course its silly to expect everyone to live the same way, and even if it werent, lecturing people (rather than presenting a case) is a very ineffective to achieve results.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
The issues/struggles some people have here are not so easily reduced to these one liners you are cranking out. But I do enjoy reading your posts.

My experiences here, if I were to type them all out, would shock most people. Some would even claim that "that could NOT have happened to you in FCPS." Or I'd get the other reaction: Well, that's just THE WAY things work here in NoVA/DC."

We moved here at the height of the real estate bubble. My husband was deployed for a year. I have seen some disturbing, ugly sides to people--trust me. Most people I've encountered here do a very fine job of looking out for their own best interests and promoting themselves, despite claims that they work for the improvement of society.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
This is MY particular list. Feel free to add yours!
6. "Why doesn't everyone else in NoVA like urban living like I do? It's all a gigantic suburb!"

Usually from DC or NYC people who are apparently forced to be here.
Of course there are lots of folks here who like urban living, and there are some delightful urban/walkable areas here. Apparently not quite enough, given the appreciation of RE values in several such areas - many of our local govts are trying to respond to the demand by making it easier to develop new areas like that.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Actually, I hate complainers about complainers. It's on the same level that I hate people that reply all to email distros and say "please don't reply all!". You are truly doing the same thing.
You do realize this is meant to be lighthearted, right? If you take this seriously, I can't help you.

Maybe you should add to the list:

11. "I hate all these complaints about NoVA -- where can I complain about them?"

Translation: "My complaints are more valid than yours."
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Where has anyone said that?
It's supposed to be amusing and, as such, contains elements of truth AND a bit of exaggeration.

You know, "it's the narrative that matters" and all that.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You do realize this is meant to be lighthearted, right? If you take this seriously, I can't help you.
It's supposed to be amusing and, as such, contains elements of truth AND a bit of exaggeration.

You know, "it's the narrative that matters" and all that.

I see. Go right ahead then.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
The issues/struggles some people have here are not so easily reduced to these one liners you are cranking out. But I do enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you. I aim to amuse. I thought at least some of us might get a chuckle or two.
Quote:
My experiences here, if I were to type them all out, would shock most people. Some would even claim that "that could NOT have happened to you in FCPS." Or I'd get the other reaction: Well, that's just THE WAY things work here in NoVA/DC."
That was sort of my point by posting a few "opposite" complaints. Not urban enough, not rural enough, etc.
Quote:
We moved here at the height of the real estate bubble. My husband was deployed for a year. I have seen some disturbing, ugly sides to people--trust me. Most people I've encountered here do a very fine job of looking out for their own best interests and promoting themselves, despite claims that they work for the improvement of society.
I think most people are quite good at looking out for their interests w/o claiming to improve society.

I personally don't like hypocrisy, but I really think that's not just confined to NoVA. I learned about the negative sides to human nature long before I came to NoVA. I mean really ugly, violent, vicious, worse-than-animal-like sides. But then, once in a while, the light shines, and I encounter a person who displays the beauty, the serenity, goodness that is also a part of human nature and I am humbled and my hope is rejuvenated.

In any case, do you have a few funny ones (even darkly funny) you can add to the list? I think we all agree a little laughter is good for reducing tension at the least.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

50 posts, read 134,113 times
I got a chuckle out of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia