Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
when our DD was little, we did Stony man. We had her hiking from when she hadnt been walking that long - about 2, IIRC. Toddlers love it (though of course you want to watch them closely).

DD is now 19, and still loves hiking, backpacking and other outdoor and mountain activities.
Good tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM

68 posts, read 82,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I suggest Limberlost Trail (milepost 43) as it is a level trail for little legs. The mountain laurel should be in bloom when you visit. The Shenandoah National Park website has a list of printable maps of hiking trails; Limberlost is on the Skyland Area map.

Another fun trail (with many LARGE rocks) is Stony Man Summit (on the same Skyland Area map). That might be a tough trail for the 1 year old, though.

Another idea -- if it is cool outside -- is a walk through the Big Meadows. There is a camp provisions store directly across the street, and they sell ice cream there. Often there are deer grazing by the picnic tables outside.

Have fun!
Orange Fish -

Great info - we spent several hours at Shenandoah earlier today and had a great time. Amazing views and Skyline Drive was an awesome cruise.

Saw a (wild turkey)? on our travels around LostLimber along with a bunch of chipmunks - no black bears but I was on the lookout.

We may head back later this summer but mostly we'll stick to Great Falls - not as far of a trip and seems to be more friendly to families with little ones like ours.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbrien View Post
Orange Fish -

Great info - we spent several hours at Shenandoah earlier today and had a great time. Amazing views and Skyline Drive was an awesome cruise.

Saw a (wild turkey)? on our travels around LostLimber along with a bunch of chipmunks - no black bears but I was on the lookout.

We may head back later this summer but mostly we'll stick to Great Falls - not as far of a trip and seems to be more friendly to families with little ones like ours.
I meant LostLimber - a little wine on a Saturday night will do that.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbrien View Post
I meant LostLimber - a little wine on a Saturday night will do that.
One more time - LIMBERLOST.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Hahahaha I've done that so many times. It's funny how easy it is to go into a thread to correct a typo and then make the same typo again.

I'm glad you followed up on what you actually did. It's always good to know how these things turn out, especially for the next guy who comes along with a question like this. Now that you've done it, what thoughts/advice do you have to pass on to the next poster in the same situation?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hahahaha I've done that so many times. It's funny how easy it is to go into a thread to correct a typo and then make the same typo again.

I'm glad you followed up on what you actually did. It's always good to know how these things turn out, especially for the next guy who comes along with a question like this. Now that you've done it, what thoughts/advice do you have to pass on to the next poster in the same situation?
Great idea -

1. Leave plenty of time - we were shocked when we realized how large the park was - 43 miles from the gate at Front Royal to LIMBERLOST. While we knew it was mile marker 43 we didn't realize the entrance at Front Royal drops you off at mile marker 1. All in all almost 2 hours door to door for the commute. (we came fom Vienna)

2. We didn't see any but black bears are prevalent at Shenandoah - always a good idea to read up on what to do if you run into one. Here is a video from a couple of years back of a mama bear and cub at the entrance to LIMBERLOST.

YouTube - ‪Bear‬‏

3. The picnic area at Pinnacles was great - just a few miles from LIMBERLOST and plenty of tables and shade to be had.

4. If you've never been to Shenandoah I'd suggest going to the entrance at Front Royal and cruising Skyline north to south. Breathtaking views along the way and you'll be better acclimated to the park by the time you get where you're going.

5. The park is great - go if you haven't been. You won't regret it.

6. Finally, here is a bear joke for you.

Two friends are in the park. All of a sudden, a bear jumps out of the brush and heads right for them. They scramble up the nearest tree, but the bear starts climbing up the tree after them. The first friend starts taking off his heavy leather hiking boots and pulls a pair of sleek running shoes from his back-pack. The second friend gives him a puzzled look and says, "What in the world are you doing?"

He replies, "I figure when the bear gets close to us, we'll jump down and make a run for it."
The second friend says, "Are you crazy? We both know you can't outrun a full-grown grizzly bear." The first friend says, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you!"

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
Anyone know how hard it is to get a room at either the Skyland Resort or the Big Meadows Lodge, how far in advance you have to book one, etc.? One of my favorite things in the world is staying at one of the historic hotels within the boundaries of Yosemite National Park. Of course, Shenandoah NP isn't going to be Yosemite-like (in lots of different respects), but still. Looks like they do have little planned activities (bluegrass music, storytelling, historic Blue Ridge arts and crafts, etc.) and evening documentaries and other films.. or something of the sort, anyway. Kinda like camp, only for adults (or whole families). We'd like to go when it's cooler, but we don't need to see leaves. Or ones with visible carotenoids, anyway.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-12-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Anyone know how hard it is to get a room at either the Skyland Resort or the Big Meadows Lodge, how far in advance you have to book one, whatever?
We have stayed at Skyland Resort, and we were able to book a room about four weeks out, but we were visiting in the summer. Visiting in the fall surely requires reservations further in advance. The evening NPS activities that we participated in (both as a Skyland Resort guest and private rental) were lots of fun.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
We are going during the week of the 20th and we booked the first of June at Skyland. Weekends may need more advance planning. Peak leaf time is in October and that you need to book far ahead.

As far as heat goes we have found it about 10 degrees F cooler than where we live and I always take a sweater for the evenings which can get cool.

We have seen bears on two occasions, once near Great Meadows crossing the road and once near Skyland at night near the parking lot for the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia