Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 16,921 times

Advertisements

So due to school boundary, we have learned that our son (starting 1st Grade) would be attending Camelot ES in Annadale, but we live in Fairfax (confusing). I forgot to mention, we are moving from out of state. Can anyone please tell us more about this school. Anything goes. Please help. We are looking in Mantua ES for a possible Transfer student or Shavewood ES. Any information would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be renting, so in a year from now this would not matter.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM

110 posts, read 292,560 times
If you dont get any firsthand info, check out greatschools.org. I found the school, it has a rating of a 7 with nine parent reviews. Only one of the reviews is from the last year though. But it is a good starting point.

Parent Reviews of Camelot Elementary School - Annandale, Virginia - VA

Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidmom View Post
So due to school boundary, we have learned that our son (starting 1st Grade) would be attending Camelot ES in Annadale, but we live in Fairfax (confusing). I forgot to mention, we are moving from out of state. Can anyone please tell us more about this school. Anything goes. Please help. We are looking in Mantua ES for a possible Transfer student or Shavewood ES. Any information would be greatly appreciated. We are going to be renting, so in a year from now this would not matter.

Thanks in Advance
Do you mean that you would be living in Fairfax County, with Camelot ES as the assigned school? The reason I ask is that there are places within Fairfax County with a Fairfax mailing address, as well as the actual City of Fairfax, and I don't think these areas are assigned to Camelot ES. I think students assigned to Camelot ES either have Annandale or Falls Church mailing addresses.

There are only a few things I can tell you about the school. Not sure it's very informative, but it will at least bump up the thread.

First, the current Principal at Camelot used to be the Assistant Principal at an elementary school in Vienna and was well liked when he was there. Second, the school feeds into Jackson MS and Falls Church HS (probably not relevant to you if you'll only be there a year or so). Third, the students come from a mix of single-family homes (which include the "Camelot" neighborhood, which is outside the Beltway and north of Route 236) and townhouses (which include a lot of townhouses near Fairfax Hospital). The demographics overall are fairly representative of Fairfax County elementary schools as a whole, though Camelot has fewer African-American students and more Hispanic students than most county schools.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidmom View Post

Thanks in Advance
It doesn't really matter where you live in this case because both Fairfax and Annandale are in the same school district - Fairfax County. It's confusing the way they do the addresses - there is Fairfax County, Fairfax city, and then the unincorporated area of Fairfax where Fairfax is your address but you don't live in Fairfax city. As long as you are within the Fairfax County school district, the name of the town/city in your address will not always be the same as the location of the school (although it will be physically close to your home).

I haven't heard anything either way about Camelot, so it's probably not bad. It's not the wealthiest school, but not totally low-income either. The only way to know for sure is to go there in person. However, on paper it looks OK. They have a center for deaf students, which is interesting. Why are you trying to transfer? That's not allowed unless you have a reason, such as child care closer to another school. Even if they give it to you, you'll have to provide transportation to other school yourself.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
FCPS - School Profiles - Camelot ES

Camelot Elementary School

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
I have 4 friends in the hood.
The neighborhood is going thru a massive upwealthy change. For many years, it was solely Military/Pentagon employees whose homes were built/bought in the '70's. Those original owners are now emptynesters starting to consider/in process of selling. The 175K homes are now listing in the 650's. My friends neighbors are now quickly changing from Military, based somewhere else who sent their kids to local public schools, renting/selling their Camelot home and heading into retirement. these homes are now being bought by families where both parents work white collar and are making a lot of money.
many of these families are sending their kids to Georgetown day or Congressional (those are 20K a year elementary/middle schools, not High Schools).
One of my friends was unhappy because her public school Kinderg. girl came home from school with French Braids because the Male Kinder. teacher voluntarily put them in here hair.
The neighborhood has a boundary at King Arthur Rd, where one side is Woodson HS (FFX County) or Falls Church HS (FFX Cnty).
The bad on Woodson is its ay too big and hard to get into first pick extra curriculars, esp. sports. Also, its has a problem with what I call whitepeople drug abuse; prescription drug issues, cocaine. etc. I'm assuming the drug prob isn't as bad as friends say but drugs are everywhere.
The bad per my friends on FCHS is the diversity -lots of vietnamese/central american kids who may have been esl kids when they entered public school. A small isolated gang problem (no gang recruiting at school). A small lgbt group-its been reported (one kid was on a national drag queen show with RuPaul and made it to the top 10) that the kids at FCHS are more charitable with the gays then at other schools.Its a small school- Easier to get into 1st choice extracurricular activities
Both schools were ranked in the top 55 schools nationally in a recent Forbes national HS ranking.
The area is very convenient to points north/west/east.

I don't send kids there and I don't live there. Research time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia