Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times

Advertisements

We can't afford to rent out a house or stay in any type of resort on the beach, but my kids really want to go. Are there any beaches close enough (say, no more than 2.5-3 hours drive) to just go for the day? It can be a weekday, if a weekday would be significantly less crowded than weekends.

Things I'm mostly concerned about

1. Parking. I don't mind paying to park, but I just want to make sure there will be parking available and I won't have to drive around "hunting" for a spot. In fact, I would RATHER pay for a spot in a close by lot, instead of trying to parrallel park on a street several blocks away.

2. Food. Not completely against bringing a picnic, but it would be nice if there were options nearby (as in, less than 5 minutes walk from where we'd be spreading our towels) to buy ice cream/cold drinks/hot dogs, etc.

3. showers. Since it would be a long drive home, it would be great if there were showers available to rinse the sand off. Even just the outdoor kind...

4. Bathrooms...my kids (4 of them) are all boys (I'm a woman) between the ages of 5-11 years old. We'd need a beach with public restrooms that are considered (generall, I know bad things can happen anywhere) safe. I'd be able to send the boys in as pairs to use the restroom.

Is there anything like this within less than 3 hours drive? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
it'll take a day just to get to the beach

Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Yes, I do this all the time.

There is a state park between Fenwick Island, DE and Bethany Beach, DE. They charge you to park (can't remember the price) and they have bathrooms, showers, and small food stand that has hot dogs and snacks. The beach is pretty nice there.

On a good day, it will take you between 3-3.5 hours though. The earlier you go, the better because 1) traffic is better and 2) once the lot is full you can't park.

For a shorter "beach" trip, you will have to try some of the bay area beaches. I personally do not like that so I won't comment any further on that. I don't like lakes either.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Yeah I agree with just trying a beach on Chesapeake Bay versus going all the way to Delaware just to turn right around.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah I agree with just trying a beach on Chesapeake Bay versus going all the way to Delaware just to turn right around.
Well, it's not quite *that* bad.

I usually leave Woodbridge NLT 6:00 a.m. and I am on the beach by 9:30. Sometimes if I don't want to get on the beach that early, I stop at McD's for breakfast in Cambridge or Easton, and then (if I'm going to Ocean City), I go in on Rt. 50 and hit the Starbucks. So, on the beach NLT 10:00 a.m.

I stay on the beach until about 4 PM, have a quick rinse off/shower, and then I hit a restaurant by 5 PM if I'm in the mood. If I want to stay on the beach longer, I skip the restaurant and stay until 5-6 PM and get fast food on the way home. I am usually home by 11PM. It gives me a good 6 hours on the beach plus some time for eating. Not that bad.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, it's not quite *that* bad.

I usually leave Woodbridge NLT 6:00 a.m. and I am on the beach by 9:30. Sometimes if I don't want to get on the beach that early, I stop at McD's for breakfast in Cambridge or Easton, and then (if I'm going to Ocean City), I go in on Rt. 50 and hit the Starbucks. So, on the beach NLT 10:00 a.m.

I stay on the beach until about 4 PM, have a quick rinse off/shower, and then I hit a restaurant by 5 PM if I'm in the mood. If I want to stay on the beach longer, I skip the restaurant and stay until 5-6 PM and get fast food on the way home. I am usually home by 11PM. It gives me a good 6 hours on the beach plus some time for eating. Not that bad.
Concur. I have done that trip several times now over 4 summers and 3.5 hours each way during weekdays is right. Much nicer for families during the week.

I've had people on this forum tell me its less than 2 hours from DC to Ocean City MD. Even Google admits its a 3.5 hour trip from 1600 Pennsylvania to OCMD

Chris, if you ever make it to Chicago, spend a mid-July day at Oak Street Beach or 13th Street Beach. I promise you will LOVE that lake.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM

83 posts, read 128,989 times
We like going to North Beach, Maryland for a day trip. It's about an hour from Fairfax (50 miles each way), maybe a little more, but if you leave in the morning, it's a painless ride. It's small and the little town around it is pleasant. Perfect trip for those with little kids.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbakerman View Post
We like going to North Beach, Maryland for a day trip. It's about an hour from Fairfax (50 miles each way), maybe a little more, but if you leave in the morning, it's a painless ride. It's small and the little town around it is pleasant. Perfect trip for those with little kids.
Its very cute! Do the beaches have real beach sand or that strange orange construction sand like at Sandy Point Park near Annapolis?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 59,050 times
Takes 2.25-2.5 hours to get to Rehoboth Beach from Arlington. On a weekday there are plenty of parking meters. Lots of them take credit cards now ($3 for 2 hours for all of the close blocks). If I go on a weekday and leave early(5:30 from my area). I can beat the DC rush hour to 50 east, then there is no traffic from there on out and I park by 8AM. Meters don't even start until 10AM, with lots of close (first block) meters available. Stay until dinner, back by 8:30PM. 10 Hours at the beach.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
There are also some lakes with small beach areas. No surf, and not the same feeling as an ocean beach, but the water is just as wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia