Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times

Advertisements

On our otherwise pleasant street, we have some neighbors (next door, unfortunately) who are very uncouth. (Long story involving loose dogs, spilling trash, etc.)

Just today they had a big gathering at their house. One of their guests parked in front of our house; it's a public street, so fair game.

We happened to be on our front porch and saw two of their guests--a man and woman in their 60s--go out to their car (parked behind ours), where she started smoking. Annoying enough that they chose to smoke in front of our house rather than their hosts'.

But then we saw the woman throw her butt down into the street and walk off! Even worse, she threw it close to my car instead of her own. Then they went into the house.

I try to avoid confrontation when possible. And these people, though trashy, were much older than I am. And I try to show respect for old people unless they really get rude. So with this first butt, I grabbed it and threw it in front of the neighbors' house after they'd gone inside.

But they came back a while later. Another cigarette break by their car. Another butt thrown in the street in front of our house--right in front of me as I was gardening. I picked it up and walked after them as they walked toward the house next door.

"Excuse me." No response. Again I spoke up. "I'm sorry, but I think you dropped this."

"That ain't mine; mine's in the car." A lie, as my wife and I both saw her throw it down.

I dropped the butt atop the trash can of the neighbors they were there to visit. (These neighbors already have their overflowing trash bins in front of their house, two days in advance of garbage collection--unlike everyone else on the street.)

What is with smokers who think their butts are welcome wherever they flick them? I just think this is incredibly rude. Even worse, these people were at their car--which has an ashtray!

I realize butts are small--but they're trash. And they invariably end up washing into the curb in front of the nearest house. Yet smokers (most of them, anyway) think the world is their ashtray.

You wanna ruin your lungs, that's your business. (Putting aside taxpayer-funded tobacco subsidies and the increased costs of insuring and treating smokers--costs that get passed on to the rest of us.) But for God's sake, take your trash with you!

Am I the only one who finds this infuriating?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-03-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
This is a personal pet peeve for me.

Fortunately, I don't have gatherings near my home but I CANNOT stand people flicking their butts out their car window. Yes, it's okay to stink up the world so long as your car is clean? Uuuggghhh...don't even get me started.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 07-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is a personal pet peeve for me.

Fortunately, I don't have gatherings near my home but I CANNOT stand people flicking their butts out their car window. Yes, it's okay to stink of the world so long as your car is clean? Uuuggghhh...don't even get me started.
AMEN, SISTER! My thoughts exactly! If I were a cop, I would give people $500 tickets for this. (To achieve this, I would write up the butts as "explosive devices" rather than litter.)

Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
AMEN, SISTER! My thoughts exactly! If I were a cop, I would give people $500 tickets for this. (To achieve this, I would write up the butts as "explosive devices" rather than litter.)
Considering the brush fire I witnessed over a week ago on the side of I-95 around Lorton, I would certainly classify them as explosive devices in this weather.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I believe it is against the law to throw butts out of a moving vehicle.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe it is against the law to throw butts out of a moving vehicle.
But appears to never be enforced. Or they can't catch them at it.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,148 times
This seems to be a common trait among smokers. Filters are a form of plastic and do not readily biodegrade. Flicked butts start brush fires. It is littering. Smokers are not thinking about all the consequences of their habit. Some are responsible--most are not.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,762 times
Yeah, well. My neighbors have frequent parties and their guests chunk their beer bottles over the privacy fence into my yard.

Trash is as trash does.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yeah, well. My neighbors have frequent parties and their guests chunk their beer bottles over the privacy fence into my yard.

Trash is as trash does.
Wow. Man. Sorry to hear that. Guess I don't have so much to complain about, at least in comparison. That is just incredibly obnoxious. Have you called the police about this?

Do you mind saying where you live (generally)?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
I remember when I worked in Burke (1998) and had to drive on Ox Rd. and Braddock Rd. I'd be sitting in the left turn lane to go on Ox rd and I looked down to see hundreds, if not thousands, of butts on the ground by the curb. I was a bit infuriated by the sight, but I know there's not much I can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia