Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM

393 posts, read 1,203,048 times

Advertisements

There is a new intersection near my home. There are four lanes. Two lanes to go straight and two lanes that are right turn lanes. There are traffic lights for each lane. The two right turn lane lights have a "No Turn On Red" sign situated between the two lights. To which right turn lane does the sign apply? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
I think it means from both.

I have intersections like that near me but usually sign says "No right turn on red from center lane (if there are more than 2 lanes). Alternatively, if it simply states "No right turn on red" it is for both.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
That's what I would say too. "No Turn on Red" means just that, for both lanes.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,203,048 times
That's what I thought. I've been stopping when the light is red, but I've noticed everyone else turning on red.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
That's what I thought. I've been stopping when the light is red, but I've noticed everyone else turning on red.
Yeah, it's the hardest thing for people.

At our Wegman's in Woodbridge, when you exit out of one of the exit areas, you come to an intersection. Of course there are only two lanes: one going straight and left, and the right lane which only goes right. There is a clear sign that says "No Turn on Red." Now, admittedly, I don't know WHY this this a No Turn On Red intersection because visually, you can see the cars coming from your left so it does not appear to be a danger as some intersections clearly are. So many people do it anyway and I think it's because it just doesn't make sense that it's marked that way.

I have had people behind be get REALLY irate that I won't make that turn.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,281 times
I think they're purposely ambiguous. Much like the very common (around here) sign that has in huge red letters : NO TURN ON RED, then in tiny letters below it (when pedestrians are present). It grabs your attention, and many never bother to read the fine print. I find myself honking at people all the time who are just content to sit there all day twiddling their thumbs when no traffic is coming.

Now the sign you describe is a slightly different situation. They want confusion, because this will cause more people to turn and then they can give you a ticket. If it's legal, you may not even know and just pay the ticket. More "Gotcha" capitalism.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

At our Wegman's in Woodbridge, when you exit out of one of the exit areas, you come to an intersection. Of course there are only two lanes: one going straight and left, and the right lane which only goes right. There is a clear sign that says "No Turn on Red." Now, admittedly, I don't know WHY this this a No Turn On Red intersection because visually, you can see the cars coming from your left so it does not appear to be a danger as some intersections clearly are. So many people do it anyway and I think it's because it just doesn't make sense that it's marked that way.

Is the sign hanging from the light or is it attached to the ground? The reason I ask this is because I've noticed many signs that should be posted much higher so cars behind you can also see them. I was once pulled over by the police at an intersection because I made a U-turn. A "no U-turn" sign was posted but it was anchored to the ground and could not see the sign through the cop car that was in front of me. So, when the cop turned left I made a U turn and he came after me and knew why I did it. He said " you couldn't see the sigh could you? No I didn't see it. He smiled and let me off the hook.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
That's when you open your door and look like you're stepping out. The honking generally ends at that point.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM

102 posts, read 539,807 times
Quote:

Ha ha, are you talking about the intersection at Neabsco Road? I have wondered why that "No Turn on Red" sign is there, because I have never (ever) seen traffic coming from the left on that road, and it seems silly to just sit there. I tend to shop at Wegmans during mid-morning (so as to avoid too much traffic on Rt 1, as I travel from the Mt. Vernon area), so I'm sure there is traffic at that intersection during other hours.

I just can't wait until we get our "own" Wegmans at Beulah and Telegraph!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Is the sign hanging from the light or is it attached to the ground? The reason I ask this is because I've noticed many signs that should be posted much higher so cars behind you can also see them. I was once pulled over by the police at an intersection because I made a U-turn. A "no U-turn" sign was posted but it was anchored to the ground and could not see the sign through the cop car that was in front of me. So, when the cop turned left I made a U turn and he came after me and knew why I did it. He said " you couldn't see the sigh could you? No I didn't see it. He smiled and let me off the hook.
Both.

It hangs from the light and is also posted in the grass next to the right turn lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia