Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

36 posts, read 75,024 times

Advertisements

Now it's easy to see how unnecessary panic occurs in crowds. This was an earthquake of the type that is routine out west, and certainly no one runs for the hills or leaves work early for something like this. Calm done, folks. Things are OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
This is just an average quake folks.
I'm so sick of people from out west saying this like they're too cool for school. We don't get quakes out here

You can't even handle an inch of rain.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilliam View Post
This was an earthquake of the type that is routine out west
Not to downplay west coast quakes, but apparently this was an extremely shallow quake, meaning the effects of it are significantly greater than a deep quake.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I enjoyed it--made me feel like I was back home!

Not nearly as intense as the last few I remember in So Cal though. The last one I remember was the Paso Robles quake in 2003, and that one involved less shaking and more rolling--like, waves coming through the floor, making you move up and down. It was weird.

Parents, make sure your kiddos know what to do if this kind of thing happens while they're in school. I was in teacher training today and the teachers were running around like chickens without their heads, because they had no idea what to do either. (Hopefully, that was a wake up call to the district to update emergency plans, but still!) It was very routine (like a fire drill) growing up in California, but it's not something ever practiced in the schools here that I've seen.

You should be under a desk with your head/neck covered holding onto the legs of the desk if possible, away from anything that could fall (hanging tv, textbooks on a shelf, glass beakers in a science class, etc), and away from windows that could shatter. You should not be running for the outside, crowding in hallways like a tornado, etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilliam View Post
Now it's easy to see how unnecessary panic occurs in crowds. This was an earthquake of the type that is routine out west, and certainly no one runs for the hills or leaves work early for something like this. Calm done, folks. Things are OK.
??? I don't see anyone panicking. I see quite a few people telling jokes and some people saying it scared them, but that's not what I'd call "panic occurring in crowds." The OP got bored and went to the pool. Big panic.

Also, as a person who's lived in both Los Angeles and Virginia, I'd be more concerned about a quake here simply because the buildings are not built with earthquakes in mind. Of course, it turned out the buildings held up just fine--good to know but I don't blame anyone for running out of a building, especially here in a town that isn't built for earthquakes. That's not panic it's just common sense.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Speaking about jokes, I really can't wait to hear what Colbert and all the other comedians have to say about this tonight.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
??? I don't see anyone panicking. I see quite a few people telling jokes and some people saying it scared them, but that's not what I'd call "panic occurring in crowds." The OP got bored and went to the pool. Big panic.
Lots of panic stories coming out of people rushing out of buildings into the street, running to their cars in underground parking garages and trying to get out ASAP, running around offices screaming about collapsing buildings...

I think most people were just startled, but many people reacted without thinking.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,416 times
Some of the videos of real damage - like the facade of the building that fell and crushed numerous cars - suggest this wasn't just a minor shaking.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
The "panic" is evident on the roads. Every major artery conjested beyond belief. Once again, everyone leaves at the same time, and causes a total traffic nightmare.

Personally, I don't think this area can handle anything - hurricane, earthquake, snowstorm, thunderstorm.......all of it makes the masses head for the roads.......

Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The "panic" is evident on the roads. Every major artery conjested beyond belief. Once again, everyone leaves at the same time, and causes a total traffic nightmare.

Personally, I don't think this area can handle anything - hurricane, earthquake, snowstorm, thunderstorm.......all of it makes the masses head for the roads.......
I would have bet money on that one. This will be like primary night Feburary 2008 where it took me 1 hour 40 minutes to go 6 miles from Bailey's Crossroads to Landmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia