Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 70,645 times

Advertisements

I ended up getting a place at the Halstead by Dunn Loring Metro. I'm not too excited about it, but it was affordable whereas closer in along the Orange Line was not.

My sister did all my apartment hunting remotely and said the building itself is one of the nicer ones she's seen. I guess the neighborhood is stripmall/concrete wasteland, but there's an H-Mart! That and I'll be able to visit the famous Bubble Bench. Yay. Suggestions on entertainment in the area? I guess my girlfriend and I can just Metro in to more exciting spots.

Also, in a previous thread on commuting to Langley, a poster said I should go up Gallows to Idyllwood/Kirby. This sounds good to me, but is there any argument for Gallows to the Beltway and then to GW Parkway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,927,574 times
Also, in a previous thread on commuting to Langley, a poster said I should go up Gallows to Idyllwood/Kirby. This sounds good to me, but is there any argument for Gallows to the Beltway and then to GW Parkway?

You can try it both ways (after Labor Day, to make it as accurate as possible), but I live near the CIA off Kirby and regularly drive the Gallows/Idylwood/Kirby run taking kids to swim practice, and the only signficant delay is at the light going across route 7. Gallows to the Beltway takes you right into the heart of the Tyson's Corner traffic.

As for entertainment, you are just down Gallows Road from Tyson's, which has two large malls (both with many restaurants) -- and the original Tyson's mall added a great new theater complex a year or so ago. It's MUCH nicer than the Merrifield theater that is probably walking distance from your apartment. There is a Sport & Health Club on Greensboro Drive in Tyson's, and the Spring Hill Rec Center (much cheaper and no membership required) near the intersection of Spring Hill and Lewinsville Roads. There are lots of good ethnic restaurants in the Falls Church area, plus the State Theater in the City of Falls Church hosts regular concerts by Famous Bands of the 1970s.
If you have other specific questions about the area, ask away.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshaki View Post
I ended up getting a place at the Halstead by Dunn Loring Metro. I'm not too excited about it, but it was affordable whereas closer in along the Orange Line was not. My sister did all my apartment hunting remotely and said the building itself is one of the nicer ones she's seen. I guess the neighborhood is stripmall/concrete wasteland, but there's an H-Mart!
Good to start with low expectations...that way you can be pleasantly surprised. The buildings are very nice, they are right across the street from the Metro Station, and there is an H-Mart as well as Lotte and Dong A very nearby. The area immediately south is indeed a warehouse/business district down to the Home Depot on Lee Highway. A little gray and dusty that way. It's all green in all the other directions, however. You are ten minutes from Tysons, twenty from Ballston.

Quote:
Only if you enjoy suffering, or if it's winter and the roads are icy. The last stretch of Kirby to 123 is not such a pleasant thing when ice is present. You'll end up in the creek. So, wait for the first icy day to try the 495 to the GW idea. Until then, stick to what works. In addition to being quick and not much congested, Idylwood/Kirby is a very pretty drive...

Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
As for entertainment, you are just down Gallows Road from Tyson's, which has two large malls (both with many restaurants) -- and the original Tyson's mall added a great new theater complex a year or so ago.
Yes, I like Coastal Flats just by the theater complex. A little Pacific Rim tinge to the food and very nicely run.

Quote:
There is a Sport & Health Club on Greensboro Drive in Tyson's, and the Spring Hill Rec Center (much cheaper and no membership required) near the intersection of Spring Hill and Lewinsville Roads.
Also a Gold's Gym in Merrifield on Gallows just the other side of Lee Highway. Right near the theater. And Providence Rec Center might be closer. South off of Route-50 just inside the Beltway by Falls Church High School. There's also Jefferson District Park on Lee Highway just east of Gallows. Work on mini-golf skills, or play the nine-hole Executive Course. It's quite nice.

Quote:
There are lots of good ethnic restaurants in the Falls Church area, plus the State Theater in the City of Falls Church hosts regular concerts by Famous Bands of the 1970s.
Not to forget Jammin' Java in nearby Vienna. A bit gothic for some tastes, perhaps, but they have a bunch of interesting people play there. And there's always Wolf Trap. Excellent dining is easy to come by in the whole area. Not all of it so expensive either.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 70,645 times
Thanks for all the help saganista and clairemarie! I am officially relocated and am happy with everything so far.

The commute is great on Idyllwood/Kirby. I actually love it. The best part is crossing over the Beltway and seeing all the traffic. Its about 45 minutes from my door to sitting in my office (a lot of time looking for non-reserved parking) - which is fine by me.

We had a goodbye gift certificate to Sweetwater Grill, which was good, and we'll try Coastal Flats pretty soon. Maybe in 10 years or so I'll have all kinds of NoVa horror stories (the kinds I grew up on in MD), but it is good so far.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help saganista and clairemarie! I am officially relocated and am happy with everything so far.
Congrats, and glad to hear it.

Quote:
The commute is great on Idyllwood/Kirby. I actually love it. The best part is crossing over the Beltway and seeing all the traffic. Its about 45 minutes from my door to sitting in my office (a lot of time looking for non-reserved parking) - which is fine by me.
Yes, you can almost feel the stress rising off the Inner Loop as you pass over it. The stress of worrying that a squirrel might run in front of you as you go merrily along is so much easier to deal with!

Quote:
We had a goodbye gift certificate to Sweetwater Grill, which was good, and we'll try Coastal Flats pretty soon.
It's Sweetwater Tavern actually, and that's the same people who run Coastal Flats (though sans the micro-brewery that Sweetwater has), so expect similar but with a different theme and menu.

Quote:
Maybe in 10 years or so I'll have all kinds of NoVa horror stories (the kinds I grew up on in MD), but it is good so far.
It'll happen only if you let it happen. With some care and forethought and maybe a little flexibility, you really can tamp down the bad and live on just the good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia