Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL curiousity finally took hold so I googled it and learned a new bad word. Who knew--must be slang that's more popular in another part of the country.
Well this is the good 'ol USA where we speak English and some Spanish so we shouldn't be beholden to bad words in obscure languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL curiousity finally took hold so I googled it and learned a new bad word. Who knew--must be slang that's more popular in another part of the country.
And yet I can misspell it as Kupricka, with no expurgation.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Please tell me you did not just joke about child molestation and/or associate homosexuality and pedophilia.
The same thing you wrote went through my head when I read that post--but in the interest of getting this thread back on track, let's assume that post was simply a not-so-well-thought-out attempt at humor.

At any rate: I think it's a sign of progress not only that sexual orientation is now an afterthought for most voters, but so is race. Putting everything else aside about Herman Cain, it's somewhat amazing that a black candidate is supported by so many white Southerners, when you think back to what this country was like 50 years ago.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM

267 posts, read 511,888 times
Am I the only one who thinks this forum would be greatly improved if political threads were banned?

After all there is a separate City-Data forum for that topic.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
I would have thought local politics threads -- as in local Board of Supervisors, state officials, and the antics of our local US Congress delegation -- would be fair game for a Northern VA board. But I guess I needed to read the ToS more closely...

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this forum would be greatly improved if political threads were banned?

After all there is a separate City-Data forum for that topic.
I agree 100%. There may be some disagreement over what constitutes a political thread, though. If someone posts to express excitement at seeing a well-known politician at some unexpected public place, it can readily descend into a chimpanzee poo-pitching party.

So maybe we'd have to actually agree not to mention any national politicians whatsoever. Fine by me.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Discussing how NOVA politicians and candidates may affect life in NOVA is perfectly fine. Discussing how national-level politicians might affect life in NOVA - or how VA Senators or Congress members might affect national policy - is where things might get a little murky; either the main Virginia forum or the Politics forum could be a more appropriate venue, depending on the topic.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Also technically speaking, any member can participate in any forum at any time to contribute their thoughts. Of course, constructive thoughts are most beneficial.

Now back to your regularly scheduled on-topic programming.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm not trying to start controversy, but I don't understand why this man is being celebrated here. Is there something that is expected of him that wouldn't for anyone else? If we are under the assumption as the OP said that he was elected with his " personal life a non issue", then why are we making it an issue now? He's a politician just like anyone else. I mean are you celebrating the openly straight leaders?
Why even bring that up? The point of this thread is to celebrate that an electorate in Virginia was progressive enough to elect an openly gay man. If that bothers you, it's more your problem.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sexual preference used to be a barrier to elective office. It shows our society, at least our little piece of it, has progressed beyond that.

Just curious, do you even live in his district?
Not really sure why this is important. To answer your question, no I don't live in that district, but this is an open forum on the internet, not a voting poll in that district, I'm free to express my opinion just as you are free to express yours. I think it's ridiculous that people are on here comparing an openly gay state senator to a first black or a first asian or a first hispanic whatever. There is absolutely no comparision between sexual orientation and race. Of course some will disagree, but homosexuality is a choice and even if it wasn't the world doesn't have to know what you are to vote for you. Race can't be hidden, sexual orientation can be. Let me put like this, if this man didn't make any mention of his sexual orientation, this wouldn't be a story in this region. People would still vote for him because of his stance on certain issues and because of the political makeup of that part of Northern VA. It makes it seem as though people are voting for him because of his sexual orientation. If that is the case, then that is irresponsible for voters to do so. And if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't even be brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia