Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I suppose a salesman might sign up for the 15% reward. The typical driver would want the 5% program. According to their website, you qualify for the 5% bonus check by making 180 trips over the course of a year. This averages out to less than two round trips per week over 52 weeks. They claim they've distributed over $2 million in VIP bonus checks so far, so it sounds like there are people who use it.
The point is that the 15% rebate level was invented at all only for use as a phony advertising meme to plant in the public mind. It's just another example of corporate dishonesty.

Meanwhile, almost nobody signs up. Everyone who uses EZ-Pass is enrolled automatically. "So far" means since 1998...fourteen years...an average of less than $150K per year. Average tolls collected on the Greenway are meanwhile in excess of $200K per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Seriously, though, I don't see where the Greenway/Dulles Toll Road are any different than any other toll road -- The Chesaspeake Bay Bridge, the new Intercounty Connector in Montgomery County, the Baltimore Tunnel.
Well, the Greenway happens to be privately owned for one thing. And at about 42 cents per mile, its maximum toll for a two-axle vehicle is surpassed only by that on the Chicago Skyway at 46 cents per mile. Even the notorious Delaware Turnpike is only 36 cents per mile. Coincidence?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The point is that the 15% rebate level was invented at all only for use as a phony advertising meme to plant in the public mind. It's just another example of corporate dishonesty.

Meanwhile, almost nobody signs up. Everyone who uses EZ-Pass is enrolled automatically. "So far" means since 1998...fourteen years...an average of less than $150K per year. Average tolls collected on the Greenway are meanwhile in excess of $200K per day.
Here are the nitty-gritty details:

TRIP II Financial Statements (2010 and 2009)

and an index to previous years

Also, you are *not* automatically enrolled in VIP with an EZ-Pass. You have to provide them with your transponder number. VIP Program Overview (Found that one out the hard way - the checks stopped coming - realized that when we'd had to replace our transponder due to a battery failure, we didn't re-register with VIP)

Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
The point is that the 15% rebate level was invented at all only for use as a phony advertising meme to plant in the public mind.
Maybe I would buy this theory if they spent a lot of time advertising it. If they had some Crystal Koons type ads constantly running on every station saying "Y'all drive on the Greenway and get a 15% rebate." But I don't see ads promoting this program, do you? In fact I'll bet most people on this forum didn't even know about it until it came up today. I know I didn't--I had to look on their website to see what you were talking about.

Quote:

Why does this bother you? It wouldn't be the first business to start a rewards program that wasn't widely taken advantage of. Personally I think they'd get more takers if they'd advertise it, but maybe they don't really want to promote it that much. Could be they decided they don't need to push the rewards program because they already enough drivers (after all the big selling point of this road is that it's not crowded). I think maybe you're angry that somebody built a road as a business venture, as if that's not a proper business to own. I get the impression you you think roads must belong to "the people." Or maybe you're just angry because it's a successful business?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM

4,438 posts, read 8,137,308 times
I personally don't believe in paying tolls. I don't care if it's public or private road. I'm cheap and will avoid it if able. There's a reason my GPS has toll avoidance set

Now it was the Nurburgring, sign me up for a season pass...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,454,188 times
Quote:
Well, the Greenway happens to be privately owned for one thing. And at about 42 cents per mile, its maximum toll for a two-axle vehicle is surpassed only by that on the Chicago Skyway at 46 cents per mile. Even the notorious Delaware Turnpike is only 36 cents per mile. Coincidence?
I understand it is a private road. But how is it different than paying to park in a private parking lot -- like at Redskins games? or paying for the use of any other business? No one is forcing anyone to drive on the Greenway. Route 7 and other roads are available.

The owners are paying taxes on the property that they legally purchased to build the road. Think of it as a very long, skinny parking lot (which is what it is occasionally).

Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Also, you are *not* automatically enrolled in VIP with an EZ-Pass. You have to provide them with your transponder number. VIP Program Overview (Found that one out the hard way - the checks stopped coming - realized that when we'd had to replace our transponder due to a battery failure, we didn't re-register with VIP)
On further review, you're right about that. I misinterpreted the Greenway website's use of the term "to qualify", and you do first have to provide TRIP II with an EZ-Pass transponder number, and the transponder must have been issued by Virginia in order to be eligible. As you say, checks stop coming if you fail to report any change in responder status. Costly.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM

373 posts, read 870,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Seriously, though, I don't see where the Greenway/Dulles Toll Road are any different than any other toll road -- The Chesaspeake Bay Bridge, the new Intercounty Connector in Montgomery County, the Baltimore Tunnel.
I see one big difference. The Greenway is located in Virginia, while those other ones are in Maryland. A little more is expected of Virginia than Maryland.

For some reason I just feel better paying for a toll on a bridge than just a road. Driving up north on I-95 drives me crazy with the toll wars going on for what seems to be regular stretches of road.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I personally don't believe in paying tolls. I don't care if it's public or private road. I'm cheap and will avoid it if able.
LOL, I'm the same. I'll defend their right to charge what they want but I'm too frugal to use it myself. I really don't think Rt. 7 is that bad. (But.... I'm sure glad other drivers like it. Keeps 'em off my road. )

Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,454,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
I see one big difference. The Greenway is located in Virginia, while those other ones are in Maryland. A little more is expected of Virginia than Maryland.

For some reason I just feel better paying for a toll on a bridge than just a road. Driving up north on I-95 drives me crazy with the toll wars going on for what seems to be regular stretches of road.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is in Virginia between Norfolk and the Eastern Shore.

But, if anything, people should be annoyed about paying tolls on public roads -- kind of double paying -- first taxes and then a toll. At least the Greenway is a private road, privately maintained and you know it when you get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia