Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM

43 posts, read 89,594 times

Advertisements

I will be staying in Ashburn for a day or two.

Looking for a shopping area..kinda of a time square feel..
(oh.. I can hear the comments already!)

Where could I go shopping: (arlington, maryland, DC, etc, etc)

(Not looking for the same old universal Mall that I could find
in my local town)

Last time I visited DC, I asked the front desk...
where can I do shopping? and she said..
there's a forever 21 down the street.

I mean.. really?

When I go to another state, I want to do and experience new things...
(festivals, nature, big city.. I dunno..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu111 View Post

in my local town)
Old Town Alexandria (King Street) or Annapolis if you like an outdoor "Main Street" type experience.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Drive by Reston Town Center, and see if it feels different enough for you--if not, head down to Old Town. I'd also hit a few of the local wineries--they're nearby since you're in Loudoun. You could see if there are any equestrian events near Middleburg. Go to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum--it's next to Dulles Airport, so just a few miles from Ashburn, and it's not your run of the mill museum. If you like quaint villages, a drive out to Waterford might be appealing.

Here are some photos of Reston Town Center to give you an idea if this is something you'd find interesting.

Reston-Town Center and Lake Anne

Photos of Waterford:

Waterford

Old Town:

Alexandria-Old Town

Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
Old Town Alexandria, Old Town Fairfax, Old Town Manassas might be good suggestions

Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Harper's Ferry is closer to Ashburn than Old Town Alexandria. Easier to find a parking spot there, too.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Hmmm, I like the suggestion of Harper's Ferry. It's definitely a unique town, and you get a really interesting glimpse at what small towns were like before the Civil War started and the town was torched. The entire downtown area is essentially a living museum (some buildings still have active stores and restaurants, others have been returned to period pieces with displays of what the businesses and stores used to be like). The OP wants unique, and something that has local flavor--that would be an interesting choice. The only possible downside is there aren't a lot of stores, and the OP mentioned shopping. There's a fantastic bookstore, a few gift shops, a wine shop, a few clothing stores, and a cool store for hikers (this town is part of the Appalachian Trail), but that's about it.

On the way home you could stop at a winery, or get a sandwich at Wegman's (believe it or not Weggie's impresses lot of tourists, if you've never seen a grocery store like that it's a memorable place to go).

Last edited by Caladium; 11-29-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
Like Times Square? We have nothing like that. Given that you are only here a day or two and traffic is really bad (you didn't mention if all that time is free to look around) I would opt for the old town of Leesburg, perhaps do the outlets in Leesburg (you can get some amazing deals). Middleburg is a cute little town and you could visit Chrysalis winery for great views.

If you can afford the time, I would do Georgetown or Old Town

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
strolling the streets of Middleburg, especially with them decked out for the holidays, is a great way to while an afternoon away. Grab lunch and a hot cocoa at Mello Out, one block behind Main Street. But bring money!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
I will be staying in Ashburn for a day or two.

in my local town)

Last time I visited DC, I asked the front desk...
where can I do shopping? and she said..
there's a forever 21 down the street.

I mean.. really?

The closest thing to a Times Square experience in this region is the 7th street corridor next to the Verizon center in downtown Washington DC. I will leave it to folks who know Loudoun better to discuss how long it would take to get there. Traveling that distance for that experience may or may not be worth it to you. if not, go to one of the suggestions above instead.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Looking for a shopping area..kinda of a time square feel.. (oh.. I can hear the comments already!)

What kind of shopping are you looking for? Designer clothes, handbags? Antiques, vintage, and collectibles?

The outlets in Leesburg has the newish stuff.

Nothing like Times Square around here. Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown (in DC) or downtown DC are the closest to that. But since you're in Ashburn for only 2 days, I would save a visit down there for later. Middleburg is a good suggestion, especially for the holidays. Leesburg is smaller but has some offerings.

If you get a chance to eat out, I would recommend this place:
Clyde's Restaurant Group :: Restaurants:: Willow_Creek_Farm (http://www.clydes.com/main/RestaurantsDetail.cfm?Section=Main&Restaurant=Will ow_Creek_Farm&submit=Submit - broken link)

It will be close to where you are staying and is truly unique. The photos don't do it justice--but it is a collection of historic structures, great design, and architectural features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia