Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 36,105 times

Advertisements

Hi All--

I'm looking to adopt or buy a kitten within the next month or two. Any recommendations for breeders, shelters, adoption centers, anything with cute kittens in the Nothern Virginia area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
My personal bias is in favor of shelters. While I can't confirm the "cuteness factor", I do say that we enjoyed the two (older) cats we received from the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria. There's sure to be felines of all ages at whatever shelter is most convenient for you.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xleyxashx View Post
Hi All--

I'm looking to adopt or buy a kitten within the next month or two. Any recommendations for breeders, shelters, adoption centers, anything with cute kittens in the Nothern Virginia area?

Here's one local adoption site:

Available Cats

Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times
We see kittens available for adoption a lot at local Petsmart stores. They are placed there by rescues. The fee really varies. A few months ago we saw some of the sweetest 8 week old kittens. The adoption fee was $150 per kitten, and did NOT include spay/neutering, nor had the kittens been fully vaccinated yet. I thought that seemed pretty high, to be honest.
A lot of times they will also have adult cats, that are already neutered/spayed and have complete vaccinations, and their adoption fees are much lower, like under $100.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Unless you are going to be showing your kitty, there's really no reason to go to a breeder. Pet stores are always a no-no unless you want a potentially sickly little animal. Shelters and rescues generally have vetted, temperament tested critters waiting to find families!

The petfinder link allows you to filter by age, so if you put "baby" in, you'll get tons of young kittens in the area. You can also skim over rescue policies and fees to make sure you're comfortable with their requirements.

Looks like "Animal Allies" in Fairfax has a ton of kittens http://www.animalallies.com/

Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times
I second getting a rescue thru Petsmart. I saw 2 beautiful Himalayan cats there about a week ago for $200. Gorgeous cats with big eyes that looked like marbles. If I didn't have 3 dogs, I would have probably come home with one!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
When i got my adult cat in July, it was at a PetSmart and the adult adoption fee was half off because most people want a kitten.

Also if you are a renter then you had to bring proof that you could have pets and paid any deposit or fee that you owe before they would let you have the animal. They have had trouble in the past with people adopting and returning because the landlord did not allow pets or the person tried to hide the animal and not pay the fee.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 36,105 times
I'm really looking for a kitten, and a very young one at that. That's why I feel a breeder or private seller may be more the way to go. I'm also fond of fluffy ones and the shelters seem to carry mostly domestic short hairs.

I'm picky!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Another reason some people are reluctant to go to a "rescue" organization is that some of them go way beyond due dilligence in screening potential adopters, to the degree that people get fed up and go to a breeder. This article from Slate Magazine I thought was very eye-opening.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia