Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for Phase 2 of the silver line coming to Loudoun?
Yes 39 75.00%
No 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Who's going to walk a mile +/- every day in the heat and cold and rain in their work clothes to get from the office to the station?
LOL I know what you mean--many people feel that way. On the other hand, a surprising number of people here actually do walk to work. (Although I'll admit I drive when the weather's crummy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 AM

414 posts, read 908,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Worries tarnish views of Silver Line rail extension - The Washington Post

So apparently the new loudoun bos's have until June 6th to vote for the metro coming to ashburn. They are iffy about the PLA and also the potential rise in tolls to fund it, instead of getting federal funds. I personally think taxes and toll rates will rise even without the metro, and will cripple Loudoun even further by not opting for a metro for the future of the county.

What do you guys think? For the metro to loudoun or against it?
Metro is NOT coming to Ashburn. Phase II will stop at rt 772, just SE of Brambleton.

I can tell you many out here are against this, especially phase II, for multiple reasons. Personally, I don't mind it, but if they want my taxes to go through the roof to fund it, well then no, they can keep the metro. There are two things that many in Loudoun ( esp Western Loudoun, Western Loudoun being from 15/ evergreen mills road to west edge of leesburg and north edge of leesburg) do not want. Higher taxes, and the nasty sprawl that has taken over the east side of leesburg, on south and east in the rest of Loudoun. People out here by and large want Western Loudoun to remain the rural / agricultural lands that it still largely is. I suspect that this "fight" is not over yet, and Loudoun county saying NO to phase II is not going to cripple Loudoun at all. The metro coming just over the county line (barely at that) is not going to make nor break Loudoun county. Period. Further, if it spurs more and more development (the vast majority of big development is still EAST of 15 and SOUTH of leesburg) that will spralwl much farther west than it currently has, then I guarantee you that the whole "Catoctin county" thing will be not only revisited, but probably become a reality. Don't under estimate Western Loudoun, what its people want, and the power it has. There may be a lull in the action on the whole Catoctin County movement, but trust me, that is all it is.

Now there has been rumblings (that I have heard multiple times now and from widely varying sources) about metro eventually coming to the ashburn /leesburg area. However, that is likely not for 10 to 20 years. We'll see if that ever happens. If they do it right, and don't tax the residents of Western Loudoun to death, and contain the massive growth east of 15/south of Leesburg, then perhaps this could be worked out and a good thing. If they can NOT do these things, then not only will the projects possibly get delayed, but you are likely to see Loudoun turn on itself, and western Loudoun force the issue of the county splitting, and the formation of a new county, "Cactoctin Co. VA. There is more than enough disdain for what has happened (overdevelopment, sprawl, and population wise) to the eastern side of Loudoun, in western Loudoun, to not only revisit something of that magnitude, but to push it through and make it a reality.

For now though, at least until phase I is done, its just simply a wait and see game.

Last edited by United_Caps_Skins_Fan; 03-13-2012 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,655,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Metro is NOT coming to Ashburn. Phase II will stop at rt 772 in Loudoun.

I can tell you many out here are against this, especially phase II, for multiple reasons. Personally, I don't mind it, but if they want my taxes to go through the roof to fund it, well then no, they can keep the metro. There are two things that many in Loudoun ( esp Western Loudoun, Western Loudoun being from 15/ evergreen mills road to west edge of leesburg and north edge of leesburg) do not want. Higher taxes, and the nasty sprawl that has taken over the east side of leesburg, on south and east in the rest of Loudoun. People out here by and large want Western Loudoun to remain the rural / agricultural lands that it still largely is. I suspect that this "fight" is not over yet, and Loudoun county saying NO to phase II is not going to cripple Loudoun at all. The metro coming just over the county line (barely at that) is not going to make nor break Loudoun county. Period. Further, if it spurs more and more development (the vast majority of big development is still EAST of 15 and SOUTH of leesburg) that will spralwl much farther west than it currently has, then I guarantee you that the whole "Catoctin county" thing will be not only revisited, but probably become a reality. Don't under estimate Western Loudoun, what its people want, and the power it has. There may be a lull in the action on the whole Catoctin County movement, but trust me, that is all it is.

Now there has been rumblings (that I have heard multiple times now and from widely varying sources) about metro eventually coming to the ashburn /leesburg area. However, that is likely not for 10 to 20 years. We'll see if that ever happens. If they do it right, and don't tax the residents of Western Loudoun to death, and contain the massive growth east of 15/south of Leesburg, then perhaps this could be worked out and a good thing. If they can NOT do these things, then not only will the projects possibly get delayed, but you are likely to see Loudoun turn on itself, and western Loudoun force the issue of the county splitting, and the formation of a new county, "Cactoctin Co. VA. There is more than enough disdain for what has happened (overdevelopment, sprawl, and population wise) to the eastern side of Loudoun, in western Loudoun, to not only revisit something of that magnitude, but to push it through and make it a reality.

For now though, at least until phase I is done, its just simply a wait and see game.

Route 772 is Ashburn dude....

Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Route 772 is Ashburn dude....

It's Brambleton "dude". Ashburn is the other side of 267. The address may end up being Ashburn, but its not in Ashburn. Just because it may get an address does not mean its in that place. Hillsboro, VA is NOT Purcellville, but it, and most places in northwestern Loudoun Co have a Purcellville address.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM

It's definitely Ashburn lol. Brambleton is IN Ashburn. Go check out a map.

"The address may end up being Ashburn, but its not in Ashburn. Just because it may get an address does not mean its in that place." -That doesn't even make any sense "DUUUDE" The 20148 Zip code didn't suddenly change to something other than Cashburn. (Though to your credit, they're TRYING to change it officially to Brambleton, but I don't think it's happened yet....)

Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It's definitely Ashburn lol. Brambleton is IN Ashburn. Go check out a map.

"The address may end up being Ashburn, but its not in Ashburn. Just because it may get an address does not mean its in that place." -That doesn't even make any sense "DUUUDE" The 20148 Zip code didn't suddenly change to something other than Cashburn. (Though to your credit, they're TRYING to change it officially to Brambleton, but I don't think it's happened yet....)
*sigh* Not my fault you can't understand. What I said makes perfect sense, read ALL of what I said, not just what you seem to "want to read". That said, believe whatever you like. How about you look at the map? I sure did. Iv'e also driven that entire area, and where the station is going is not "IN" Ashburn. The Hilton Garden's Inn Dulles North has an Ashburn (yes I love the name Cashburn, thats what we all call it out here) address, but again, its not IN Ashburn. Go drive it yourself and maybe then you'll understand. And yes, they are still in the process of making Brambleton its own city/ town / area with its own postal code.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Until they officially change it, it's still Ashburn. I live in Brambleton, and it's still considered Ashburn, even if it's "south" Ashburn.

Heck, they even consider parts of Brambleton as "Dulles, VA". They need to figure out the zoning there haha. It's all weird. Anyway, though, off topic.

I've never heard that western Loudoun wants to seperate but it will never happen. Southern and Rural Virginia has been trying to get All of NOVA to secede from the rest of Virginia too for years but I doubt anything will happen. I personally don't think that NOVA won't expand into anywhere west of 15, as many people live in Arlington or DC already think places like Reston is "teh BOONIES" already. Yet alone anything west of Cashburn.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,317,905 times
Please see USPS.com. 20148's primary "city" is Ashburn; approved alternates include Broadlands, Brambleton, and Arcola. Brambleton has been allowed to use its name as a postal "city" since before I moved here 8.5 years ago. No one is making Brambleton its own zip code, and it's not incorporating.

The proposed Route 772 station is NOT in Brambleton. Look at a map. It's a couple of miles northeast of Brambleton. The closest major development is Broadlands. The station will be in the median in the Greenway, with one entrance/parking in Loudoun Station (20147, off Shellhorn Road) and one in Moorefield Station (20148, off Old Ryan Road, which is Route 772). The station is absolutely in Ashburn.

As for whether or not Brambleton is part of Ashburn - it depends on who you ask. Yes, we have an Ashburn zip code. But last year we were redistricted into the Blue Ridge District. We are no longer part of the county's Ashburn planning district (except for the part north of Ryan Road). We are perpetually in limbo between Ashburn and South Riding. Kids here play sports in totally different geographic leagues for different sports, depending on the sport - and it can change from year to year. I do not consider myself a resident of Ashburn, but an "Ashburn-area" resident.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Please see USPS.com. 20148's primary "city" is Ashburn; approved alternates include Broadlands, Brambleton, and Arcola. Brambleton has been allowed to use its name as a postal "city" since before I moved here 8.5 years ago. No one is making Brambleton its own zip code, and it's not incorporating.

The proposed Route 772 station is NOT in Brambleton. Look at a map. It's a couple of miles northeast of Brambleton. The closest major development is Broadlands. The station will be in the median in the Greenway, with one entrance/parking in Loudoun Station (20147, off Shellhorn Road) and one in Moorefield Station (20148, off Old Ryan Road, which is Route 772). The station is absolutely in Ashburn.

As for whether or not Brambleton is part of Ashburn - it depends on who you ask. Yes, we have an Ashburn zip code. But last year we were redistricted into the Blue Ridge District. We are no longer part of the county's Ashburn planning district (except for the part north of Ryan Road). We are perpetually in limbo between Ashburn and South Riding. Kids here play sports in totally different geographic leagues for different sports, depending on the sport - and it can change from year to year. I do not consider myself a resident of Ashburn, but an "Ashburn-area" resident.
Again, just because it has an "ashburn" address, does not mean its "in ashburn". You say tomato I say tomäto. The median of the greenway is NOT ashburn to me, and never will be, especially not where the LoCo Pkwy intersects it. That said, honestly I could care less. The station(s) is (are) still barely in Loudoun.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Again, just because it has an "ashburn" address, does not mean its "in ashburn". You say tomato I say tomäto. The median of the greenway is NOT ashburn to me, and never will be, especially not where the LoCo Pkwy intersects it. That said, honestly I could care less. The station(s) is (are) still barely in Loudoun.
Do you even live in Ashburn? Cause I think you're just creating random boundaries that don't even exist now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia