Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,337 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are beginning to search for land for vacation/retirement property. Since we have come from 2 land locked states (VT and currently PA), I am in search of salt in the air! As much as we would like to have waterfront property, it is definitely harder to find deals. As long as I can walk to a beach, I'll be happy. I've started checking out realtors' web sites and have seen some possibilities (<$75000). I've inquired about specific listings, but find that other than the cursory response, none of the agents are proactive (some aren't even reactive, since I requested photos from one and never got them). Not one has come back with suggestions of areas to look in, or suggested other properties which may meet our criteria. I realize that on the food chain, we are plankton. Can anyone recommend either a good realtor that actually lives up to their outstanding service claims, or other resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 15,806 times
Hello,
I am laughing at your discription of "a problem". You have no idea of what you want or where you want to even look at real estate and you expect a Realtor to go to work for you. All Realtors work on commission and only get paid when they sell. They have house payments, car payments, gas bills etc. and if they jumped when everyone with a temperature of 98.6 or above shouted, they would all be on welfare. The Internet is a great resourse for you. You need to pin down a spacific area. Visit the area. If you find the area appealing, visit a Realtor's office and pick up information and maybe even see a couple properties. The Northern Neck and the Middle Pensula are two completely different places eventhough they adjoin eachother on maps. There are a few exceptions but most waterfront property in both the Northern Neck and Middle Pensula is PRIVATE PROPERTY and there is NO walking to the waterfront. The State of Virgina does have a few public boat launch sites. If you want to walk to a beach, you may want to take a look at Virginia Beach.

Another note about Realtors: the Realtor most likely to give their time to someone like you will be a new Realtor ie one with nothing else to do. Be understanding and appreciate Realtors, don't bad-mouth them...

Good luck.

John

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM

125 posts, read 509,892 times
Default Water access property

I live in the Ophelia, VA area and there are communities with 'inland' lots that provide access to the beaches, community pavilion, fresh water swimming pools, tennis courts, etc.. Two that come to mind are White Sands Harbor and Harbour Pointe (had a weekend place in HP for 8 years). Both have access to the beach on the Potomac River, but we do have sea nettles here in the summer months, so you might want a swimming pool as backup!

You can go to this website - http://varealestatereviews.com/ - and request a free copy of Northern Neck Real Estate Review publication. I think you can get two free copies. Also, if you click on the publication icon, it will take you to a web page with lots of realtor websites.

I am not a realtor, but I do have a personal favorite that I might recommend but I'll do that in the PM.

I can relate to your 'bottom feeder' feelings, but you just need to lose that. There's probably several properties waiting for you!

Happy hunting!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,337 times
To those who have responded (including a real estate agent) thank you, I appreciate your thoughtful advice.

To Johnnybgood:
Glad I could provide you with some amusement. Based on your description of realtors, since they are the professionals, what better way to begin our process than to consult with them and seek their advice? This has always been a successful strategy for us in the past as we have bought houses or property in Northern Virginia, Vermont, and now Pennsylvania. Even in those previous instances when we bought only land and subsequently built, this has worked to our advantage. Our experience over the last twenty years has been that the most successful realtors are precisely those that do "jump" (your phrase) whenever they are approached by someone - you never know who someone is until you begin to work with them.

I am well aware that the Northern Neck and the Middle Penninsula are as different as Norfolk and Roanoke, we are simply trying to start by casting a wide net over the myriad areas that encompas the Cheseapeake basin. My husband would ideally like property on Mobjack Bay, but we want to be flexible and open to whatever possibilities exist, and where we might get more property for our money, this being for a possible vacation site.

Anyway, thanks for reading my posting.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,320 times
AK1662,

We're doing the same thing - also looking in Northern Neck area - Reedville, etc ...

How has your search gone? Any tidbits you could share based on your experiences?

We are in Fairfax County, VA - getting ready to pull the plug here - really liked the laid back Reedville feel ...

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

George

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 15,664 times
It's very unfortunate people like "JohnnyGood" find it so necessary to put down others. Don't let him get you down. There's always at least one Johnny who feels their opinion is so damn important, it must be heard over editing what they say as to not insult others. Thank you for posting, as I am also looking into the area and would like to see what's out there.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
This is a 5 year old thread, but I think Johnnybgood did an accurate description of a Realtor's business needs. Anyone should have a good idea of where they want to go and how much they will spend before consulting a Realtor.

Freelivin - If you are looking for water-front communities, you might also look in the Hampton Roads sub-forum.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
MODS, can you please DELETE these ancient threads? I posted a reply only to realize this one is five years old! The persistence of such old threads is one of the most annoying things about City-Data.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Well, even old and seemingly inactive threads are read in real-time by search-engine users. I can understand that adding new or updated info to an old thread would in general be a good idea, but no doubt some sort of flag on a thread that had been inactive for some arbitrary period of time or more would be a help to regular C-D posters.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, even old and seemingly inactive threads are read in real-time by search-engine users. I can understand that adding new or updated info to an old thread would in general be a good idea, but no doubt some sort of flag on a thread that had been inactive for some arbitrary period of time or more would be a help to regular C-D posters.
I agree that *some* such threads could still be useful. In fact, I'd love it if there were a lot more "sticky" threads about things that come up all the time, over and over--e.g., "moving to Belvoir; where should I live?"; "Where can a 20-something find an affordable apartment in Arl/Alex?" etc., etc., ad nauseam.

But uninformative troll-bait like "NOVA is the most avoiding unfriendly place" and "Where are all the black people/why so many black people"--those threads need to die a quick death, in my opinion.

Most of the regular posters here are informative and helpful. But about 5% are trolls, and another 5% are drive-by, single-post advice demanders who pepetrate nonthankery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia