Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
"If your Honda can't get you there, then you don't need to be out on the roads!" (The Honda's in someone else's life now, but sometimes working from home is the best solution.)
Ha, my little 2 door Honda Civic was great in snowmageddon, and other snow events up north. The only problem was all the noise from snow hitting the bottom of the car since it's stock clearance is so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
The one counter to that is you may be able to sell your 4wd a few years from now for more than a 2wd, but you really don't need 4wd around here. If things are bad enough that 4wd is required you should probably stay home. I have 2 4wd vehicles and could easily live without that feature.

I was in Canada a few years ago during a major ice storm and saw people zipping around town in their sedans presumably with snow tires. However they have much better winter driving skills than many of the transplants around here who come from more temperate climates.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM

393 posts, read 1,202,863 times
I had an AWD RAV4. Found I didn't need the AWD. I sold the car (not because of the AWD, but because the car was a disappointment) and bought a 2WD Highlander. I don't miss the AWD, or RAV4, at all.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
I would suggest that there is no single answer and that it depends on where you live and if you might have a need to drive in icy, snowy conditions. If you can skip work when things get bad and live where access to victuals and other necessities can be accomplished without ever leaving Flatland, you don't have any special sort of need. If your job requires you to be there under all circumstances and you live at the bottom of Kirby Road just off of 123 or in any other of what are actually quite a number of locales where the roads are windy, the hills are steep, and the plowing and sanding are virtually non-existsent, you do have some special needs, and an AWD or 4WD vehicle may actually be an important thing to have. If nothing else, you can get to know lots of doctors and nurses in your area by picking up the stranded ones and driving them to and from area hospitals.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
I have lived in this area, Charlottesville and Northern West Virginia for much of my life, and I have never found it necessary in any of those locales to have anything more than rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive has inferior driving characteristics, and AWD/4WD is a waste of gas around here. Not only that, it adds complexity to your vehicle which could mean more in repair costs. The thought of people owning a truck or SUV around here just because of weather concerns is absolutely hilarious.

Remember, 4WD might help you get going in the snow, but it won't help you stop!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Well, that much is true. If you can't get your car to go, you'll easily avoid all sorts of stopping problems altogether.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
I don't believe a 4 wheel drive is necessary here. There have been only a handful of occasions when I was glad to have one for weather reasons, and that's in the last 15 years. It's just not worth it for that reason. On the other hand, I do think it is very useful to have a vehicle that can carry large things, like furniture, bikes, etc. I hate having to pay delivery fees because I can't pick stuff up in my own vehicle, and that actually happens a lot. Also keeps me from buying more used stuff (although I don't know if I'd do that now anyway, with the whole bed bug thing).

We just bought an electric car and we really like that - there's nothing like not having to never get gas!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, that much is true. If you can't get your car to go, you'll easily avoid all sorts of stopping problems altogether.
Getting cars to go is easy as long as you know how to drive. The only hint I would like to share with people is don't stop going up a hill.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Getting cars to go is easy as long as you know how to drive.
You can be the most expert driver in the world, but you still won't be able to go in some RWD economobile through two feet of unadulterated snow. As above, one's vehicle needs are defined by the type of terrain one is surrounded by plus the likelihood of being required to cross that terrain under particularly adverse conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The only hint I would like to share with people is don't stop going up a hill.
Then you chose to leave out a good number of other valuable hints.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
At this time, I can't justify spending $10K+ for a hybrid equivalent because it'd take atleast 7+ years to even recoup the cost. Anyway I digress.
With gas prices now dropping, you may want to see if dealers are willing to negotiate on hybrids. Another factor is the personal property tax; some jurisdictions assess hybrids at a lower rate.

And to pile on, AWD is not necessary here. If we ever have another snowcopalypse, the safest bet will bet to stay home. The region will shut down anyway, so there's no reason to be on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia