Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM

35 posts, read 34,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
My bill was $185. It was the heat not you that caused it. I feel for you. I would move and and if possible sue her ass.
You think suing her would be an option to look at? I mean I followed all of her rules, I wouldnt think she could kick me out because I dont agree the electricity bill. If at the beginning she said if the bill is high then I have to pitch in then SURE I would pitch in, but she's demanding me to pay because she doesnt want to. She is blaming me for increasing her bill $70. I cant wait till her second tenant moves into the basement. Wait till she sees the water and electricity bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Tell her July 2012 was the hottest month on record. Can you blame the air conditioner?
Right before I saw the ac difference, she said to me that she barely kept her ac on for the July because it wasnt as hot as June. Since when was July NOT hot??? It was one of the hottest months EVERRR. I dont think she watched the news or the weather. I even told her that her that the house would get too cold cause the ac is on all the time.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchanello View Post
she probably can't charge you that fee under the lease - you should read it closely, consider refusing to leave and taking her to small claims court.
I wouldnt want to live there after this ordeal. How do you respect someone who honestly believe that someone can charge up $70 worth of electricity in just ten days?!? Its insane, doesnt make any logical sense. The lease does say that the tenant will provide utilities under no restrictions.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"Consider refusing to leave"?? And choose to live in a hostile, shared living quarters with someone who wants you out? While you may have a ground to legally stay (and I don't know if you do or not), I can't imagine a more miserable situation.

If your lease clearly states "utilities included", you do not owe the money. And since you are leaving, I wouldn't be too concerned with a light that is left on........
I know that legally she cant kick me out but its better off for me. Living there hasnt been the best. Shes nice, for the most part, but we have nothing in common to talk about. Its boring. The contract does say that utilities are included. Ill see about that light lol

Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I would not want to share a house with that person, so I think you are doing the right thing to move. However, I agree you should check your lease language about how utilities will be calculated. I would also demand to see a copy of her July 2011 electricity usage statement. July 2011 was about as hot as July 2012 and so the usage should be similar if there were similar #s of people in the house and she didn't make energy changes (e.g., more insulation, new windows) between those times.

And, obviously, her argument that one week accounts for the entire difference in usage between July and June is ridiculous.
Well, she did show the usage for June and July. But no, I didnt see last years. Maybe I will ask for that, also. It will be a good way to compare. I think this time last year she was either living alone or had at least one person living with her. There is no way I am going to pay that difference. She is blaming me for it so no chance in hell I would accept the blame and pay that much money. I already pay $900 for rent.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The difference probably is due to the air-conditioning. She has no right to charge you for it.

Does your lease say that she can evict you so soon after you moved in?
Ill look at it again closely, but I dont think it stated anything like that. Do lease contracts have such clauses? By the way, this is a month to month lease.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
My electricity bill for that period was around $180. Your landlord is a moron
How many people are living with you?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syadnan View Post
You think suing her would be an option to look at? I mean I followed all of her rules, I wouldnt think she could kick me out because I dont agree the electricity bill. If at the beginning she said if the bill is high then I have to pitch in then SURE I would pitch in, but she's demanding me to pay because she doesnt want to. She is blaming me for increasing her bill $70. I cant wait till her second tenant moves into the basement. Wait till she sees the water and electricity bill.
Suing her would only be an option if you have actual damages. This could possibly be moving costs.....

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
My bill for June was $85 and the bill for July is $123. So yes there was an increase, probably for the heatwave. Regardless, I'd move out. I wouldn't want to live with that batty landlord. Wait till they see the water bill and their head will spin...
Ya that water bill will be high. I already know what she is going to say. "You have to pay for this because you shower here and I only shower at the gym, so you use most of the water". I dont think she was ready to have tenants...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Suing her would only be an option if you have actual damages. This could possibly be moving costs.....
I dont have actual damages but she is demanding for me to pay $85 for "abusing" her electricity. I am not going to pay that under ANY circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia