Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM

13 posts, read 27,782 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Recently we had a break in in our house and found out that some kids from DC are involved in it. None of the valuables stolen from our house are retrieved and we are getting very little hope from the officials. We lost jewelry, electronics and cash. I wanted to ask what should I expect in a situation where juveniles are involved? Did any one experience such break ins? What are the chances of the stolen stuff being retrieved? What happens when the juveniles are brought to court?

Thank You,
KM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Not sure but you can bet Virginia will come down on them. A friend of mine's step son (18 yrs old) got into stealing copper in Virginia's eastern shore. He was caught in Maryland stealing copper and received 2 years which he served and then was extradited to VA where he received a 10 year sentence. Stupid kids.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
Get a gun.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM

102 posts, read 601,618 times
Don't get your hopes up with respect to recovering your valuables. You might get lucky and they may recover some jewelry and electronics if they went to a pawn shop, but your cash is long gone.

If the juveniles are brought into court, you will be subpoenaed as a witness (I assume you have a police report and an active case). Their defense attorney will probably try to delay the trial, meaning you will end up having to show up more than once.

In the end, the Commonwealth's attorney may end up dropping the charges in your case in exchange for the accused to plea to a lesser charge. Keep in mind depending on the amount of your loss, they crime may be a felony, and you may be able to prevent the charges in your case from being dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmva View Post
Hello,

Recently we had a break in in our house and found out that some kids from DC are involved in it. None of the valuables stolen from our house are retrieved and we are getting very little hope from the officials. We lost jewelry, electronics and cash. I wanted to ask what should I expect in a situation where juveniles are involved? Did any one experience such break ins? What are the chances of the stolen stuff being retrieved? What happens when the juveniles are brought to court?

Thank You,
KM

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Hello.. the trial of the theft in our house has been going on for the past year. 3 kids involved, one kid appeared and charged. The other 2 kids don't show up for the court, we keep going to juvenile court and coming back. The detective suggests that we drop charges as the kids will never show up and even if they do, they will not be charged. I don't want to give up. Can anyone with a law background help me understand the situation to make a decision. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmva View Post
. Can anyone with a law background help me understand the situation to make a decision. Thank you!
The person with a law background you need is a lawyer, not random internet strangers.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Where did this happen? I assume in NOVA? You need to call the commonwealth attorneys office where this is being prosecuted. Most, at least the larger counties, have a victim assistance office that works hand in hand with the commonwealth attorneys office. Call and find out.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Thanks for coming back to update us on your situation. I'm sorry that the process isn't going any smoother for you.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Where did this happen? I assume in NOVA? You need to call the commonwealth attorneys office where this is being prosecuted. Most, at least the larger counties, have a victim assistance office that works hand in hand with the commonwealth attorneys office. Call and find out.
Thanks for your suggestion, i will talk to the prosecutor and make a decision. Yes, this happened in fairfax county but the kids live in DC.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
House insurance it. Renters insurance it. Tell me you have some sort of insurance that pays you back, so you don't have to go all "Payback" on people who stole your stuff.

People say get a gun but I mean, robbers aren't violent, they're just dishonest and bunch of liars who cheat a lot with their life and what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia