Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Perhaps you should consider identifying by name some of these indie restaurants in this area brought to us courtesy of Californians.

I don't know how you'd figure out which were established by Californians, as opposed to people from Idaho, let's say. Much thats new in American cuisine in the last generation did originate in California, IIUC. I don't think ethnic restaurants are the only things that have added to the regional restaurant scene. How you choose to quantify each contribution, is really up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I was not aware that "folks who like indie restaurants that aren't necessarily ethnic restaurants" were a niche subject to being stereotyped.

Really. I will do everyone a favor and NOT link to the thread where someone actually did that.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The supermarkets in the DC area sucked in the 1990's. There was Safeway or Giant or Safeway or Giant and a few Magruder's here and there.

But in those days Giant always carried a full line of Elite(tm) chocolate bars.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The supermarkets in the DC area sucked in the 1990's. There was Safeway or Giant or Safeway or Giant and a few Magruder's here and there.
We had some Fresh Fields as well in the 1990s, prior to their acquisition by Whole Foods.

In the 1960s, some of the local A&Ps were still decent, at least in terms of personal service. But they were declining, and Giant and Safeway took over and pretty much cornered the market in terms of mediocrity.

Last edited by JD984; 12-17-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I don't know how you'd figure out which were established by Californians, as opposed to people from Idaho, let's say. Much thats new in American cuisine in the last generation did originate in California, IIUC. I don't think ethnic restaurants are the only things that have added to the regional restaurant scene. How you choose to quantify each contribution, is really up to you.
IIUC, you'd research the issue, and report back to other posters.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
IIUC, you'd research the issue,
How? Look up the names of the owners (who may or may not be the founders) and look up their bios, or personally ask them where they are from? I suppose that could work. If anyone's interested enough.

I'd rather find out where some good restaurants with California influenced cuisine are, and go try them out. But that's just me.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
We had some Fresh Fields as well in the 1990s, prior to their acquisition by Whole Foods.

In the 1960s, some of the local A&Ps were still decent, at least in terms of personal service. But they were declining, and Giant and Safeway took over and pretty much cornered the market in terms of mediocrity.
If I remember correctly, the first Trader Joes arrived in NoVA in 1993. It's the one on Route 7 across from Tara Thai and Marshall High School. I went there the moment it opened and kissed the ground after walking through the door. Felt like I was home again. I also remember when Marvelous Market opened way up in NW DC. It had the first decent bread. Went there the first day it opened and there was a line around the block. I don't know why people here put up with crappy spongy bread for that long. We had crusty San Francisco sourdough in CA going way back. Shortly after they started carrying decent bread at Sutton Place and some of the other gourmet stores. Then Firehook opened in Old Town.

The California food revolution though didn't start until the '70s (in Berkeley).

Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If I remember correctly, the first Trader Joes arrived in NoVA in 1993. It's the one on Route 7 across from Tara Thai and Marshall High School. I went there the moment it opened and kissed the ground after walking through the door. Felt like I was home again. I also remember when Marvelous Market opened way up in NW DC. It had the first decent bread. Went there the first day it opened and there was a line around the block. I don't know why people here put up with crappy spongy bread for that long. We had crusty San Francisco sourdough in CA going way back. Shortly after they started carrying decent bread at Sutton Place and some of the other gourmet stores. Then Firehook opened in Old Town.

The California food revolution though didn't start until the '70s (in Berkeley).
Kind of my point. Berkeley got Chez Panisse. California sent us the Magic Pan, Trader Joe's, and ex-Californians complaining about the weather and the Mexican food. But, again, no one said life is fair.

Trader Joe's has always seemed very-nichey to me, but I could imagine how it might summon up some genuine feelings of nostalgia if you'd spent years in Giant and Safeway, surrounded by endless aisles of Swanson's frozen dinners, General Mills/Kellogs cereal, and 50 variations of Wonder Bread.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's has always seemed very-nichey to me, but I could imagine how it might summon up some genuine feelings of nostalgia if you'd spent years in Giant and Safeway, surrounded by endless aisles of Swanson's frozen dinners, General Mills/Kellogs cereal, and 50 variations of Wonder Bread.
Yes, I shopped at Trader Joe's in CA for years before moving here. The concept was different back then though. They would be huge lots of distressed gourmet foods and wines but you were never quite sure what would be there from week to week. They even had a cheese tasting counter similar to Balducci's. The Fearless Flyer was riveting reading when it arrived in the mail.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
When did Theo Albrecht purchase Trader Joe's? Late 1970's I think? I think Trader Joe's stopped being a friendly "indie" corner grocery store since then and has been something of a facade of a corner grocery store. There was an article some months back about how TJ sources its products from large food conglomerates and that much of the "quirkiness" is just a deliberately cultivated mirage.

That said, I shop groceries at TJ and at Wegman's and nowhere else. At one point I was going to 5-6 places and the opportunity cost outweighed the value of actual money saved and unique products purchased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: